Thread: I am thinking of starting a new life but i need your help

Default I am thinking of starting a new life but i need your help

Hi,

My names Sam and I've just turned 25 years old. I live in the UK (United Kingdom), I am a fit, strong and healthy young guy. I have made a few mistakes in my life and 3 months ago I became homless so I moved into a hostel.

The hostel is really nice, the flats are excellent but the people here are the problem. A few of them are alcoholics, some are violent and other's ask to borrow money off you all the time.

I have just recieved a tax rebate of £1660 I am thinking of leaving this hostel and traveling 200 miles across the country. I want a fresh start, a new beginning and a new life. I want to get away from all these people. Plus, at my hostel the rent is £900 per month, crazy right! So I can't work. In 9 months time I will get a flat from the goverment, but that means living here for 9 months

I want to move to Norwich, I plan to buy a tent and a sleeping bag. I know a great place I can camp permantley. I have stealth camped, wild camped and urban camped successfully before. I have the gas and the gas burner and the skill required.

Im just scared to leave and once again venture into the unknown, whilst leaving behind sooo much support and a roof!

Should I leave? It will be winter very soon and will be tough enviroment conditions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sambunn2013 View Post
    ..... at my hostel the rent is £900 per month, crazy right! So I can't work.

You can't work? Seriously? I feel soooooo bad for you. You want to come live with me for free?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Can't give you advice on where to go in the UK, but you need to decide whether you want to continue to live off of the welfare of others or stand on your own two feet and make something of yourself.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Are you saying the benefits agencies where you live fork out 900 per person per month for people to live in your hostel?

Where I lived before in UK rent payments were capped and the maximum rent benefit payable per person was 360 a month......several people I know were made work redundant in the recession and had to move to alternative low rent accommodation,find employment and work their way up again.

If I work, I have to pay £900 rent per month. Say I get a full time job, earning £1000 before tax and getting £800 take home, then I would get into rent arrears. So it is pointless working, i'll be worse off.

That's another reason i want to leave, so i can start working again, i don't get why poeple are making out that im a free loader, because im not! far from it! its the sytem that is the problem, your right, i do claim benefits and the goverment do pay £900 per month for all 31 people living here.

We are getting off the point though! I want to discuss wild, stealth camping as a long term thing.

any advice, i plan to camp until i get a job then move into accomidation and continue working

do you think i have enough money?

Ken, i would love to come and live with you for free, thank you, very kind of you lol

google Limey Pete, he is a brit in England that sortakinda does what you're talking about.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Hi Sam ,

I feel sorry for your situation. Probably going to be there soon myself. Not so easy at 50 though. You say you can't work , I assume this is due to cost of accommodation and getting a job wouldn't cover your needs. If you have help and support in your current environment ; I think you should stay where you are. something to consider though , is private accommodation. Housing benefit covers you for 4 or 500 a month. You will find a 1 bedroom let or studio flat for that. Your own space , and , If you do get a job , probably affordable. Get in touch with local citizen advice Housing Support at council. Things will work out I hope. Keep a hold of your cash . Don't squander it. It's too hard to come by these days. Get in touch any time if you need to chat.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry Sam , should have read all posts before putting that up. Do you have enough cash. Yes . as long as you watch what you doing , get into those supermarkets , Asda etc . Plenty cheap provisions ,everything from toilet paper to cheap bacon that would do a bacon sanny every day for a week. If I could , I would. Nothing to stop you giving it a bash.

Dave

Sam,not meaning to have a go at you.....just think it's incredible that 900 a month is being charged and then accepted by the benefits agencies as fair rent for hostel flats for singles in your area.Smells of owners/developers/councils working the rental system,lining their pockets and making lots of money at the UK tax payers expense.

I can see your point about the catch 22,working and then paying out all your earnings in rent and finding yourself in arrears and without enough money for food etc.

I think if you were to travel to Norwich and camp out you might find it very difficult to find regular employment with a reasonable wage....no fixed abode etc would make that difficult/nearly impossible I'd have thought.

Maybe you're looking at this the wrong way round?
    Perhaps find work,move to a place with an affordable rent,save what you can,think about your plans for the future and the lifestyle you really want and then work towards that?

I have two sons roughly your age,that's what I would be saying to them.

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.

No one is going to be able to tell you what's best for you......that's for you to decide.

Good luck to you.......Hope you get off the treadmill.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

I live in England, you might give this website a try.

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/

With your nice little windfall, you can get yourself over to Norwich and give yourself a chance at getting a job and saving for a place of your own.

Edit: BTW hello.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I have little use for anyone that thinks living off of others is a correct course of action. If you're too damned lazy to work then don't bother me for advice.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.