Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail Life USA

Blog Entries

Default Trail Life USA

Looks like there's now an alternative to the Boy Scouts.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/09/us...html?hpt=us_c2
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I wish them well.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

As do I.........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So how are they different from BS...I must have missed something?

I was....I mean they....yeah.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Less, how shall I put it...inclusive.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Looks like a religious back ground...?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Read about it being more Don't ask, Don't tell.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

They will not allow boys who are "out".
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Fine. We have BSA an now there's Trail Life USA. Live and let live, if you ax me, hope there's a right place for everyone.
    I certainly wouldn't want to belong anywhere I am not welcomed, wouldn't be any fun...but maybe that's just me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I certainly wouldn't want to belong anywhere I am not welcomed, wouldn't be any fun...but maybe that's just me.
    I keep telling 2dumb that, but God knows he keeps coming back here.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I keep telling 2dumb that, but God knows he keeps coming back here.
    You did mention something about birds of a feather...

I hope they do well and carry on the traditions of woodcraft/bushcraft. We need our youth to get off the computer, stop texting and get out and do something to build charter and values.

That's a bit harsh. Just because a kid is on the computer doesn't mean he does not have character or values. Those are taught at home. This is an age of computers and all kids need to know how to use them. I think there's a place for balance between inside events and outside events whatever those might be. Hopefully, that's what you meant I read too much into your answer. If so, mea culpa.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's a bit harsh. Just because a kid is on the computer doesn't mean he does not have character or values. Those are taught at home. This is an age of computers and all kids need to know how to use them. I think there's a place for balance between inside events and outside events whatever those might be. Hopefully, that's what you meant I read too much into your answer. If so, mea culpa.
    Rick you're reading way too much into something that is meant to be positive. Don't be so over critical of my point blank and candid insight.
    Its not really meant to be harsh, it is true for some young people. Not all of our youth are glued to the phone and computer but some of them are. My daughters used to be like that to some extent until I got them involved with horseback riding and other outdoor activities. Many of their friends would rather stay indoors on the computer, playing video games or texting. I've met some of these shut ins and they are missing out on a lot of fun. I'm o.k. with kids learning, knowing and honing their computer skills but too much of anything can be bad. The balance you mentioned does not exist for some of these young people.

Rick, you mentioned character and values are taught at home. I did not attempt to imply that all of the kids who are addicted to computers and texting have no values etc. Values and character should be taught at home but church, scouting and other outside organizations add to and reinforce what is taught and fill in the areas that are not. Sometimes its not the kids that fail, its the parents that sometimes fail the kids because the kids are not taught that there is more to life than playing video games. Its not a perfect world out there and I've seen this a few times. Hopefully this new organization will be as strong or even better than the BSA at motivating and engaging young people in constructive activities while building core values and character.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    So how are they different from BS...I must have missed something?
    The fundamental difference is this:

BSA will allow youth who say they are gay. However, if they are sexually active (gay or straight) then they would be breaking the oath they take.

Trail life USA is basically all the people who didn't like the change to allow gay youth. So, they say that they will allow gay youth, as long as they don't say they are gay.

Personally, I applaud Trail Life USA. Instead of making an organization change their belief to suit a small minority, the small minority made their own group. I don't agree with their opinion on the matter, but I respect their decision to part ways. I just wish others would follow suit, mostly those that want to go the other way, and allow gay leaders into BSA.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    The fundamental difference is this:

BSA will allow youth who say they are gay. However, if they are sexually active (gay or straight) then they would be breaking the oath they take.

Trail life USA is basically all the people who didn't like the change to allow gay youth. So, they say that they will allow gay youth, as long as they don't say they are gay.

Personally, I applaud Trail Life USA. Instead of making an organization change their belief to suit a small minority, the small minority made their own group. I don't agree with their opinion on the matter, but I respect their decision to part ways. I just wish others would follow suit, mostly those that want to go the other way, and allow gay leaders into BSA.
    You are very correct. I've always believed that openly stating your sexual orientation has no place in conversation, the workplace, schools, scouting or really anywhere but the bedroom.
    Hopefully Trail Life USA will carry on the older traditional values and not pander or cower to the needs of only a few. No one should be excluded from joining in but at the same time a little common sense and respect goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroed4x View Post
    I've always believed that openly stating your sexual orientation has no place in conversation, the workplace, schools, scouting or really anywhere but the bedroom.
    Most of the time one doesn't have to state it, openly or otherwise. Then what?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

The problem is, they are not "stating" it, but are still being discriminated against. You worry about kids sitting home on the computer playing video games and not developing good character, then agree that it is ok to discriminate against some of these kids and not let them play in any reindeer games... Do you state YOUR sexual orientation? Then why do you think gay people do? "Hi, my name is Bob and I'm straight. Just so you know."
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    The problem is, they are not "stating" it, but are still being discriminated against. You worry about kids sitting home on the computer playing video games and not developing good character, then agree that it is ok to discriminate against some of these kids and not let them play in any reindeer games... Do you state YOUR sexual orientation? Then why do you think gay people do? "Hi, my name is Bob and I'm straight. Just so you know."

I've never said it was o.k. to be gay or that I agree with it. I don't really care, I don't have to like or dislike it. I do believe that no one should be discriminated against no matter what their choice is. I do object to being subjected to the unnecessary "Hello I am ________ and by the way I'm gay" Who cares ? Really its none of my business if you are attracted to people of your own sex. I really don't give a _ _ _ _. I don't have to like, dislike or accept or anything, so thats it.
    I think that having a choice for those that do hold Christian values, do not want their children to be exposed or indoctrinated and would like to have things operated, organized and executed under the same guidelines as when they were young is a really good thing. There are always choices and if an openly gay child or wanna be scout master has to be involved in scouting, join the boy scouts if they can not accept the rules of don't ask don't tell such as in the Trail Life USA. Either way they are included, its another decision, another choice. I'm really glad that parents have a safe haven for their children without the politically correct BS that has infected the BSA. Everyone should be happy, no one is excluded.