Thread: R.I. Hunter Mauled by Grizzly in Alaska

Blog Entries

Default R.I. Hunter Mauled by Grizzly in Alaska

The Grizzly Bears are a lot smaller in Rhode Island compared to Alaska.

"ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A Rhode Island man was mauled by a grizzly bear Monday during a guided hunt in Alaska."

http://www.providencejournal.com/bre...-in-alaska.ece
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Good!
    What was the bear supposed to do...lay down and play dead?
    Apparently, people have nothing better to do than shoot bears who mind their own business.

He made a mistake and it bit him in the a$$.

Literally.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

The bears here in Bulgaria (European brown bear) are protected and I have yet to hear of anyone actually seeing one but they are about in the mountains.Same I think applies to the wolves.

Hunting does happen quite frequently,mostly deer,hare,pheasant.....and wild boar too which are then eaten and are concidered a great prize.

I said it before but jackals and foxes are shot if they worry livestock,but mostly left alone I believe as long as they stay away from habitation.

It is true, you can't fix stupid. Going in after a wounded bear is not the smartest thing to do. We did it with a black bear in Northern Michigan, (yes I am originally a Yooper), when we were kids, but we were smart enough to use the buddy system, move slow, and listen. No sense in leaving something to die slow. This one had been going after small calves, and goats in the farm country, we didn't want little kids to be next

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

It's interesting to see the comments on that article and realize that so few people know what hunting in Alaska is about. That guy may not be interested in the meat but it wont go to waste. It will be shared with the village elders of McGrath, if the guide himself already has enough meat. Interior grizzly is tasty and tender (unlike coastal brown bears who taste fishy due to their main staple of salmon). They live a subsistence lifestyle. That means, hunting and eating good, healthy, organic meat. Not everyone has a grocery store to go to...
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    It's interesting to see the comments on that article and realize that so few people know what hunting in Alaska is about. That guy may not be interested in the meat but it wont go to waste. It will be shared with the village elders of McGrath, if the guide himself already has enough meat. Interior grizzly is tasty and tender (unlike coastal brown bears who taste fishy due to their main staple of salmon). They live a subsistence lifestyle. That means, hunting and eating good, healthy, organic meat. Not everyone has a grocery store to go to...
    Isn't it funny, that many of the same people who tell everyone that they need to eat more "organic" "healthy" food, are the very same people who go nuts about people hunting. So many of them are just plain clueless.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Isn't it funny, that many of the same people who tell everyone that they need to eat more "organic" "healthy" food, are the very same people who go nuts about people hunting. So many of them are just plain clueless.
    In one of my humorous moments, I slipped my way into a conversation between some people who were discussing the evils of hunting and Bambi killing.

I gradually shifted the conversation to skeet shooting. I started by asking them if they had ever heard of a skeet shooting competition. None of them had. I then explained that skeet were very small, and that they couldn't even fly, so they had to be launched into the air in order for the shooters to blast away at them with shotguns. I expressed my disgust at the senseless destruction of hundreds of little skeet in a single event. I shook my head as I told them that there was not even a tiny bit of the skeet left to eat after getting blasted to smithereens like that.

There wasn't a dry eye in the house.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

That is just so sad. Do any of them ever get away?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Rarely. The ones that don't get shot usually get hurt pretty bad when they hit the ground.

At least one skeet survived on this particular day. Not sure about the bystanders, though.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That is just so sad. Do any of them ever get away?
    Yes.....and as for the ones that get shot....those suckers are tough, no matter how long you cook 'em!
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

That man has a defective barrel! You can see hot gases coming right out of the top. Probably one of them pork barrels.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Yes.....and as for the ones that get shot....those suckers are tough, no matter how long you cook 'em!
    .....gotta soak them in salt water....for a long time.....then go to the saloon for a pizza and beer.....when you get home and throw the skeet water away.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We have skeeters in Alabama. You can come here and shoot them.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.