Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utility Belts - Seriously

I would think that a belt is better for back pain. A vest puts all the weight on your shoulders, which translates to the back. A belt puts all the weight on your hips, which translate directly to the legs, bypassing the back. One of the major problems for troops (think young, strong, men) is the weight of all the gear on their body armor. Most of it is all on the vest. As a result, they are getting lots of compressed discs. One of the solutions is to support the body armor with hip belts. It is also the same reason why backpacking packs have hip belts, to transfer the load off the shoulders/back, to the hips.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I want one of those, though I am a little leery that they have a tiny picture of the actual item and a large, very detailed picture of a drawing.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I always put the essentials on my belt, so if for some reason I lose my gear I still have the basics covered. The rectangular pouch holds my PSK and the round one has my fire kit. And my knife which can be worn in either a scout carry or as a dangler.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by postman; 10-10-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Cool leather work Postman.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

@ FinallyMe - I have always wondered how their backs supported all the armor. Having had back problems the weight of their gear plus the ceramic plates my thoughts went straight to disc issues. You've confirmed what seemed to me to be a fail point for all that weight. That's not what we are designed for. Packs can come off but those ceramic plates stay on if you want the protection they afford.

@ Postman - Ditto on the leather work. Very nice job.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It's a little harder to wear a utility belt (I have one) if you're also wearing a backpack with a waistbelt. Suggestions?
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    (Often the truth is harsh.)

Quote Originally Posted by M.Demetrius View Post
    It's a little harder to wear a utility belt (I have one) if you're also wearing a backpack with a waist belt. Suggestions?
    That is the problem the military has had for a long time now. Their solution for a long time was to forgo the waist belt on the pack. Of course, this makes it very hard to carry long distances. Some people would still use the hip belt, but come up with ways of moving their "utility belt" either higher or lower.

For me, if I am backpacking, then I put all my pouches on my hip belt itself, instead of having two belts. The problem with this is that if I take off the pack, all my stuff is still on it. I have seen products in R&D stages that had a removable hip belt. In other words, the pack detached from the belt, and the user would continue to wear the belt with all the stuff on it. I have been working on my own design, because I think this is the best solution.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

For years I wore a nylon gun belt [Uncle Mikes style) on which h I attached various pouches, including a fanny pack, holsters and knife sheaths to carry all my basic gear. Very handy and convenient to don and usually not in the way of other things like a rifle or shotgun or bow. I still stuffed things in my pockets but

I have a fanny pack that holds 2 water bottles with a large zipped compartment that I like better than utility belts because I can actually carry some food in it along with some larger things a utility belt won't hold. I think utility belts are better suited for cops!

I'll bet his utility belt has food in it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Girth from birth. You gotta love a guy that has his priorities straight. Seriously, guns, camo and food. That equates to money. My guess is the girls are just out of frame. At least they had better be.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'll bet his utility belt has food in it.

Now that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    fM, Once in a while I'll use a small camera case with a sewn in belt loop - but not for a camera.
    I bought one of these camera cases with a belt loop on Black Friday. It is on my belt right now with a few things in it. Let's see how it works out.

I wear a riggers belt as it is comfortable to be worn as a belt and strong enough to support anything (pistol, knife, multi tool etc) that I add to it.

Red
    Using Tapatalk

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I have a fanny pack that holds 2 water bottles with a large zipped compartment that I like better than utility belts because I can actually carry some food in it along with some larger things a utility belt won't hold. I think utility belts are better suited for cops!
    Like this one? I really like this one as I can use it for a full day hike. Only thing is, climbing steep hills I have to flip it over to my back as my thighs knock the water bottles.

Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Your what?...Knocks into what?.....Nooooo, not gonna touch that one.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sheesh...she said bottles, not jugs.

1sttimestar we have the same ones. Weren't cool enough for the kids beyond age 13 so I now have 3. They do work great!
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

I do have two belt. When I couldn't find one, I made them. I don't have a picture. One is for hunting, it have a two way radio attachment, and an attachment for several rifle mags, a flashlight holder and a knife sheath.

The second one is a hiking belt. It has a two way radio carrier, a knife sheath and a flashlight holder.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 05-31-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Hhahaha a bunch of comedians you all are!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!