Thread: Wild Grapes?

Default Wild Grapes?

Hello everyone, I live in RI and I was hiking through the woods today. While hiking, I stopped for a moment and smelled grapes. Looking 20 feet away, I see a huge area full of grapes on their vines. Since I am not 100% positive they where wild grapes, I did not eat any but I believe, and still am easily convinced they where wild grapes. They where in a normal grape cluster, dark purple, just a little bigger than a marble and on vines. I plucked one and cut it in half, the inside was white and the smell was a strong grape.

They where NOT poke berries either, wrong cluster formation, wrong vine, and last time I checked, pokeberry does not have a grape scent.

So, are these wild grapes?

A picture would sure help.

They may not have been wild grapes at all but domesticated grapes left over from some earlier farm? Just a guess but I've walked upon all sorts of beautiful roses and other perennials that were clearly planted but no sign of a farmhouse any longer.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anitcol View Post
    Hello everyone, I live in RI and I was hiking through the woods today. While hiking, I stopped for a moment and smelled grapes. Looking 20 feet away, I see a huge area full of grapes on their vines. Since I am not 100% positive they where wild grapes, I did not eat any but I believe, and still am easily convinced they where wild grapes. They where in a normal grape cluster, dark purple, just a little bigger than a marble and on vines. I plucked one and cut it in half, the inside was white and the smell was a strong grape.

They where NOT poke berries either, wrong cluster formation, wrong vine, and last time I checked, pokeberry does not have a grape scent.

So, are these wild grapes?
    You weren't at Sakonnet Vineyards by any chance, were you?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

A couple of varieties of wild grapes are prolific in my area. Not sure about yours. Pics would be helpful.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We have wild Concord grapes everywhere around here in MA. Some escaped cultivars and crosses too.
    Some people call em Fox Grapes.
    Would really need a picture though. Of leaf, stem and fruit.
    Not too many other things smell like over-ripe concord grapes though.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Your head can spin with the names. Our muscadines are fruiting right now and we have been eating them in camp. Though we'll usually only eat a couple as they are seedy as hell. Also the skin is a little thicker than store bought grapes.

The names can be deceptive and even the grape clusters can vary from vine to vine. I view the grapes as either Muscadine or Callosa grapes. I use the leaves as the identifier. I am no expert.

Sorry for not getting back to you guys, school takes over my life. Heres a couple pictures

imageshack.^^^us/photo/my-images/42/0xzh.jpg/
    imageshack.^^^us/photo/my-images/841/h4oe.jpg/
    imageshack.^^^us/photo/my-images/200/vrnj.jpg/

Take out the 3 ^^^; Sadly I do not have enough posts to do pictures lol

The third picture is just ONE of the major vines, if you look closely in the back ground you can see the thicker pieces of this vine!

Make a couple more posts to bring your count up to 10 and then try posting again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Here, let me help......

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

those do look like grapes. my neighbor use to have a cross-breed of wine and concord. The plant looks a fair amount like yours.

Ken....take the sheath off before you chop........Just saying.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I was wondering how he sharpened that leather.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For any visitors heading down this way, we have our very own Native Grape.

Cissus hypoglauca

It is one of the better known climbing plants of the genus Cissus in the grape family. A very common climber in moist areas of eastern Australia, it often colonises large areas after forest damage due to storms, fire or logging. Common names include jungle grape, water vine, giant water vine, five-leaf water vine, jungle vine, native grapes and billangai .
    It was initially described in 1854 by American botanist Asa Gray.

The fruit are less than half the size of commercial table grapes, and taste pretty darn good. The large vine is also a source of drinkable water.

Trick is to beat the birds, to them.

Has been said that wild grapes get sweeter after a frost.....that never really made ant sense to me simply because a lot of place don't get frost....or if they do....the birds have already gotten to them.

Have a few on my fence here in town......along with climbing ivy........Birds get those as the one I have tried tend to be sour and seedy.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

i have about a 100,plants 90 of which are wine grapes winter hardy developed by the UofMN
    mainly red but do have some white. their kinda growing wild now as i don,t have time as i once did to maintain them sad
    cause i spent the first 4yrs training them. last year i called over some people i used to go to church with to pick them so
    they would,nt go to waste.

Cissus is in the grape family. But, Vitis is the normal referred grape.

Here is all of our wild Florida species in the Family. But, only the 6 species in the genus Vitis would be really considered grapes.

I learned something new. Thank you Batch. I did a search on Cissus Trifoliata, and found out it has toxic levels of Oxalic Acid.