Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small pressure cooker for camping

I usually cook in my dutch ovens, but record rains in northern Arizona recently made a campfire impossible (thank goodness it was not a survival situation), so I made use of my 8 qt. aluminum pressure cooker and propane stove quite a bit in elk camp - venison stew.

I've used our 6 qt pressure cooker on the colman stove many times when we have been out. I really don't feel the weight is as much a problem as the space it takes up. But then, when I pack it, I usually fill it with as many small goodies as I can.

As far as using it over a open fire, the biggest problem would be temp control. (imo) Building a good coal bed would probably take care of that.

OT
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Great thread! I never thought of a pressure cooker. This would be great for "car camping" in remote areas.

What size cooker would be good for a meal for two people??

EB

I have been looking for many years for a light flat pressure cooker.I am surprised,there are none on the market,worldwide.It saves gas,cooks fast,and does not leak if extra food remains.
    Some one suggested a TITANIUM cooker. It would be enough to have an ionized aluminum with titanium surface.For the last 16 years,I have been using Howkins liter and a half aluminum pressure cooker made in India.Very reliable but bulky and heavy yet,since my goal is to have all equipments in the backpack weight maximum 10 kg.Is there someone there who is interested in manufacture and distribute a pressure cooker like this?

I'd almost be afraid to use one on a wood fire. I knew a lady that died from injuries caused by one that exploded using it on her gas cook stove. Don't know how or why it exploded, but I wouldn't want to be in the backwoods away from medical help when something like that happened. Besides, slow cooking is a good thing when you are out camping.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

It should be okay on isobutane. You can regulate the heat pretty well on it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have never used a pressure cooker on a wood fire, but our electric one we use at home is great. It cooks beans in 70 minutes versus all night soaking and half a day boiling the old way. It will cook a pot roast or ribs in an hour, it does save a lot of time!

Does anyone have experience using one over a wood fire or coals?

I use air fryer during camping. I bought one two years ago. It is working still like new. I have read an article before buying this air dryer that helped me much to choose the best one for me. Here is the article *****More Spam*****
    Last edited by Rick; 04-17-2019 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Luv me some spammer

Of course you did....Gary. You logged on from Bangladesh to a two year old post just to share that article. Uh huh.

Hehehehehehe.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I cook my spam in a air dryer..er I mean..air fryer. Yeah, that's it.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness