Thread: Getting a Dial Canner calibrated (Ha!)

Blog Entries

Default Getting a Dial Canner calibrated (Ha!)

I've had my Canner three years now, so thought it best to get the dial calibrated. I contacted Presto, but they couldn't help as I'm overseas. I contacted a few calibrations companies over here, and, well, let's just say it would be cheaper to get another Canner! Sooo I went back to Presto, and they suggested I get a set of their Canner weights, which I have. Funnily enough, when I used my Canner the other day, the dial was bang on with the weight. But at least I have peace of mind.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

It's always nice to know that your efforts will not be thwarted because of incorrect pressure.........and that you are not making a bomb.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Winnie - I would suggest you go by the weight only. I don't know of any canner company that calibrates their gauges. The weights, however, are spot on. I only use the gauge on my canner as a reference to know when the pressure has dropped to 0 and it's safe to open it. My American Canner is pretty close to the weight but I still would not trust it to can by. I still haven't figured out how much pressure a "weight jiggle" is.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Yup, I do that now, Rick. I downloaded the instruction manual for the weighted pressure Canner and go by that. As you say, the dial is just a reference. I have no idea about the weight jiggle either. The weight on mine rock, I decided it's more a Mustang Sally than Bat out of Hell
    The UGA recommend having your dial calibrated annually for accuracy. I only read that this year, hence the attempt to get it calibrated.

"Dial gauges should be checked for accuracy each year before use. If the gauge reads high or low by more than two pounds at 5, 10 or 15 pounds pressure, replace it. If it is less than two pounds off in accuracy, you can make adjustments needed to be sure you have the required pressure in your canner."

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/ug...s_canners.html
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I've had my canner for about 20 years now and have always used the weight that came with it. Also never had any trouble with my results. Oh yeah. I did have the safty plug replaced a few years back just because it seemed like the thing to do after 10 plus years of use.

OT
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Blog Entries

There are times I wish I had grown up with all this. I tend to take the advice from UGA as Gospel, as I don't have the experience or confidence to go with my gut.

I think the more important thing is to ensure all the orifices are clear and not plugged with some kind of goop. The weight orifice you should be able to see through. I'd just shine a flashlight into the orifice feeding the dial to see if there is anything there. I've never had a dial calibrated and don't think I will ever worry about it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think the more important thing is to ensure all the orifices are clear and not plugged with some kind of goop. The weight orifice you should be able to see through. I'd just shine a flashlight into the orifice feeding the dial to see if there is anything there. I've never had a dial calibrated and don't think I will ever worry about it.
    We're talking canner and not people right?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Either way.

Well if Rick starts coming toward you with a flashlight, the prudent thing would be for you and your orifice to skeedaddle.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Last time I looked, my orifice was clean as a whistle.

Mine has pads, staplers, paper clips, pens, pencils and a tape dispenser laying around and out of place.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Mine has pads, staplers, paper clips, pens, pencils and a tape dispenser laying around and out of place.
    Ohhhhh so you didn't lose it all on the F.A.R.T boat that Pal lost.... it's all in your orifice!