Thread: Hello to The Globe! :)

Cool Hello to The Globe! :)

Hi Everyone!

I'm James.

I'm a 20-something guy who loves adventure and travel. I absolutely love being out in the wilderness and though i haven't had much "training", I know i fare better then most in our Canadian Conditions. I am Backpacking this great Country of mine as of March 1st 2014! so keep an eye out!

I live in Atlantic Canada (Maritimes) and love to hike, backpack, camp and just generally being outdoors and on my feet

Joined this site in hopes of finding answers (Maybe even providing a few) to simple questions like; what can i eat while wandering through Canadian forests, how to tell a good place for setting up camp...etc..

All in all, i'm just looking around, keeping my name out there and getting as much inforamtion as possible for this trip from New Brunswick all the way to Victoria, BC!

ANYWAY, GREAT TO MEET YOU ALL!!!

Welcome to WSF.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Forums!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Howdy and Welcome, tell us about your gear and some of your adventures.

Welcome home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome.............

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Good luck on your trip.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

So far my adventures have been close to home, weekend camping, hiking and survival trips basically. Equipment includes (so far) a 75L pack, any and all equipment i need or have can fit in this well built backpack and it's relatively light-weight. I've got some other basics; water pouches, tarp, sleeping bag, fishing line, lures, fire starters, knives, a few multipurpose tools and currently deciding on the appropriate tent for the coming journey. I've got a lot of information on basic survival, first-aid and "no-help" situations. I reside in a mostly Deciduous Forest area but will be traveling through Boreal Forests as well as some Tundra as ill be venturing slightly north into Nunavut for a short time. I've also been collecting, because we all know gear isn't the most important thing in a adventure like this, information on all edible flora as well as there medicinal uses. Animal species ill be looking out for, which are safe, not safe, safe from a distance....etc. Any knowledge that may help in a time where equipment cannot. Thanks for the Warm Welcome, and hope to talk more soon

PS- Just like to add that i am 21 years old and have walked to pretty much everywhere i go (quite literally anywhere and everywhere i have to go) for the past 4 years, nature hikes through rough terrain are a hobby and challenging my self to get to even rougher terrain is a favorite pass-time. So even though i seem "unprepared" for this trip given the short time frame, know i've been working towards doing this since i was 16 years old just some perspective!

thanks for any help or insight you can provide!
    Last edited by JamesLee; 10-13-2013 at 05:56 PM.

You may already know this but since you spend a lot of time in forests here's a post that might be useful.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=widow+maker
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.