http://www.thegreatmorel.com/

Yup ,its mushroom hunting time!!!!!!!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    http://www.thegreatmorel.com/

Yup ,its mushroom hunting time!!!!!!!

Better bring your snow shovel and touque up here, another 6" of snow and -22 this morning. Not a mushroom in site.

Smile

Have to wait until the last 6' of snow melts off of them I'm not doing that much digging.

We'll just have to eat our way north, Nell.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yep,sounds like a long mushroom season for us,eh Rick?!!!!!!!!!!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

you lucky lady nell. i'm still watin for my chance to go up to oregon. i scoped some great hillsides last winter.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I'm hoping for an extended season this year with all the rain we have had,last year was very bad,we had a very dry year,starting in the spring,and the mushroom hunting was poor.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    I'm hoping for an extended season this year with all the rain we have had,last year was very bad,we had a very dry year,starting in the spring,and the mushroom hunting was poor.
    Not even the red ones with the white spots??? Hmmm, not very good huntin at all ..

Still waiting for the snow to melt in the PNW... believe it or not we had snow over the last few days in the lower elevations... I can see the white stuff on the foothills out my window still so I know that it is heavy further up. Hope it doesn't rapidly melt or we will have major flooding..

Please, please. please say it is time for more bacon!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Don,it's ALWAYS time for bacon,and mushrooms!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I just read in a magazine ad about a Bacon of the Month club. How about that, Don?

I truely wish I new more about mushrooms, I would love to go into the woods to hunt for Morels. Problem is I don't know if there are any poisonous morel look alikes, and I don't have anyone 'morel savvy' here abouts to teach me.
    Alex
    I travel the roads of Nature until the hour when I shall lie down and be at rest; yielding back my last breath into the air from which I have drawn it daily, sinking down upon the earth...
    ...the earth from which for so many years has furnished my daily meat and drink, and, though so grievously abused, still suffers me to tread its surface.
    ~ Marcus Aurelius

morels are easy, though there is a need to know the false morels, in general the Verpa and Gyromitra species from true morels [the genus Morchella], as they are probably toxic and the effects can be cumulative, even if there is no acute toxicity in most cases.

the good news is that it's relatively easy unless you're a molecular biologist with a nagging need to make things complicated for it's own sake.

the difference between the two arbitrary groups primarily comes down to how the cap is attatched to the stipe. in the false morels, the cap is partialy free and overhangs the point where it joins the stipe.

the best way to learn about mushrooms is to be curious and ovservant and be willing to read. it also helps to have a person around who knows what they're doing, but how then do you know they're not full of it?

check out David Arora's Mushrooms Demystified, second edition the next time you're at a major book store, or buy a copy online. it's worth the 35-40 bucks.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

you might also check out Mr. Michael Kuo's site. it's as good as many of the better field guides, and it's free to use. the man is great.

if you have a mushroom find and would like a hand identifying it, check out the shroomery mushroom identification forum. as long as you read the posting rules and follow them, they'll help you identify anything, and i've known many of the people there for years.

Thanks Canid, I'll check through those site's.
    Alex
    I travel the roads of Nature until the hour when I shall lie down and be at rest; yielding back my last breath into the air from which I have drawn it daily, sinking down upon the earth...
    ...the earth from which for so many years has furnished my daily meat and drink, and, though so grievously abused, still suffers me to tread its surface.
    ~ Marcus Aurelius

Over here on Vancouver Island we have the second most Magic Mush anywhere,1st is the Queen Charlotte Islands south of Alaska
    "I can still hold the horses".

A friend of mine (single mom) that lives in Vancouver, BC was telling me a story once. She had alot of mushrooms growing on her property. She never did anything with them but every now and then a neighbor would ask if they could harvest a few. No problems. One night she heard some noises in her back yard. She went out on the 2nd floor deck with a shotgun and turned on the flood lights - two guys and a gal taking all of the mushrooms. She shouted down - "when you're done with the shrooms, the lawnmower is in the shed". Stood there with the 12 ga. watching as they happily mowed her yard at 2 am.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel