Thread: Have you changed your basic FOOD inventory theory or practice.....????

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Have you changed your basic FOOD inventory theory or practice.....????

Have you reassessed your reserve food type or inventory allotment in the last 24 months........???

When I turned 65 y/o I assessed my basic theory for the next 15 years. Now nearly two years into the revised plan, I feel good about the new direction. I aspired to list the known natural disasters that had to be considered; Forest Fire & total loss of everything above ground, Being down wind of a Volcanic Eruption resulting in up to a few feet of volcanic ash, Catastrophic Earthquake which could destroy roads for several months, Grid Down for extended period of time, maybe very extended period of time.

Next I took an HONEST inventory of my physical ability at age 65, then estimated what that would be at 70/75 & 80 years of age. I decided to scrap any consideration to years beyond 75 y/o.

From this model I re-looked at my past food storage theory. And made changes as appropriate. The main shift was to more Freeze Dried Food and an Extensive Caching program.

Other changes were made in reassessing the area of firearms for the future, and clothing for the future.

Have you looked at your fundamental theory with fresh eyes.........????

I haven't done any major changes yet. I imagine I will when I retire, or as circumstances change. One thing that has caused a bit of a change - not reassessment, but rather put some limitations on ability - has been taking in a relative and caring for her. That has changed space and time availability to accomplish certain things.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

All I can say is that I don't have enough room in my kitchen or pantry to store one more of anything.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Yes I have.
    Since going vegetarian, any canned goods like soups that contain meat had to be donated, only because we are not gonna rotate often enough before they expire. That is not to say that I wouldn't eat meat if my life depended on it but now it doesn't, so I don't.
    However, I hung on to all the freeze dried stuff that contains meat because I don't need to rotate that. Like Ken, I'm limited by space so can't do as much as I'd like. I can only be smarter about what I stock so I'll probably add more freeze dried, max nutritious stuff.
    btw...some raw almonds I had put away a year ago in their own sealed bags and then in ziplocks have gone a bit rancid. Gotta figure out a better way...those danged things are expensive.

I think that's an excellent decision and something everyone needs to do from time to time. Not just for food inventory but all the things that become a major change within your life. New medications and/or durable medical equipment, different types of vehicles, changes in land or dwelling ownership, etc.

Good post!! Gave you a little rep for the reminder.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

With just the two of us, and seemingly not eating as much lately....we are stocking more freeze dried and phasing out canned foods with liquids.
    Try to add a bucket a month.

Hauling them back and forth from house to "Place" and then back, to avoid freezing in the winter, kinda accelerated the change.

So yeah, the rotation has slowed down as shelf life is generally longer with the freeze dried.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Yes I have.
    Since going vegetarian, any canned goods like soups that contain meat had to be donated, only because we are not gonna rotate often enough before they expire. That is not to say that I wouldn't eat meat if my life depended on it but now it doesn't, so I don't.
    However, I hung on to all the freeze dried stuff that contains meat because I don't need to rotate that. Like Ken, I'm limited by space so can't do as much as I'd like. I can only be smarter about what I stock so I'll probably add more freeze dried, max nutritious stuff.
    btw...some raw almonds I had put away a year ago in their own sealed bags and then in ziplocks have gone a bit rancid. Gotta figure out a better way...those danged things are expensive.
    "Space" is a relative term. The only reason I'm limited now is because of all the 10 for $10.00 sales at the supermarket in the last several months. Let's just say that they've been kind enough to let me back up my truck to the loading dock once I paid at the register. "120 cans of Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs. 24 cans to the case. Yep, that's 5 cases. Check. 192 cans of Bumblebee....."

I've recently discovered "lower sodium Spam." Can't wait for that to go on sale again. I can always start a row against the wall in the hallway.

A couple of trips to the local food pantry helped me "rotate" a lot of what I had as well.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    "Space" is a relative term. The only reason I'm limited now is because of all the 10 for $10.00 sales at the supermarket in the last several months.

You can say that again!
    Nothing worse than being a "prepper" (hate that term, but what else is there?) and not having space even for give-away deals let alone buying in bulk at Costco. Also, while I am open to eating crap during SHTF I am not now. That kinda limits my choices--good, healthy, minimally processed stuff is seldom on a really good sale.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    You can say that again!
    Nothing worse than being a "prepper" (hate that term, but what else is there?) and not having space even for give-away deals let alone buying in bulk at Costco. Also, while I am open to eating crap during SHTF I am not now. That kinda limits my choices--good, healthy, minimally processed stuff is seldom on a really good sale.
    I opt for items I can reasonably enjoy that have a very long shelf life. The inventory allows for at least 21 days before a like meal is repeated. Every meal is as balanced as possible - even fruits or veggies with breakfast (and CORN IS NOT A VEGETABLE) - considering over 50% is canned.

And none of this 1,200 calorie a day stupidity, either. I figure that we'll be all set for a while so long as we don't go crazy without fresh foods.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

You can survive quite nicely without fresh foods. Did it every time I went to sea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Frozen steaks and lobster. I read Tom Clancy, you know.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Well yeah, but it's not fresh.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I haven't changed much do store dried beans, rice
    some canned meats like spam corned beef tuna.
    i also have dry cured ham, some bacon but it's
    getting harder to find dried bacon. I have alot of dried fruits
    nuts and jerky deer jerky that is back strap make the best
    jerky. Instant mash tatters noddles and some home canned
    stuff Plus i have five orange trees two fig trees a wallnut tree
    and a grape vine. I have a small garden six chickens and rabbits.
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

Just ordered a ton more from emergency essentials during their sale and got free shipping. We live in the middle of nowhere and a trip to the store eats up hours so I ordered baking essentials (canned butter, powdered buttermilk etc), more food storage containers and such. I just finished inventorying my home canned goods, and this week when company leaves tomorrow, I will do all dried stuff/Mountain house, MREs and more. I only buy what we really like (tried smaller portions 1st) and so mostly it is keeping on top of the constant replenishing of the most used essentials like coffee, sugar, flour.
    What I have done that is new is buy a grain mill and 2 years ago a Food saver. Haven't used either but plan to this winter.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Blog Entries

After much thought and the fact that food for long term storage is difficult to get and very expensive over here, I came up with my own strategy. As my budget is very limited,
    I built up a store over a period of a couple of years or so. All of my stores are rotated into my day to day food cupboard, so there is now nothing wasted, or out of date in storage. I have a mixture of home canned, home dehydrated, tinned, frozen and regular dry goods. I find this system works well for me. The allotment will hopefully provide a large proportion of fresh veg from next year.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Yes things have changed quite a bit in my larder.

Food in UK is not good and crazily over priced,everything is geared towards supermarkets and most of the smaller local shops have been priced out....so its really good that here in Bulgaria small shops still exist and most of them stock local produce....every town and virtually every village also has a market selling fresh produce.

However having said that just about everyone here has a good veggie patch,fruit trees (lots of wild fruit and nut trees too) a few chicken,ducks,geese and most own a goat or two...goat herders take the goats out to graze each day for a few leva a month and they are brought back home for milking in the evening.

Having my own chickens etc I have a good supply of fresh eggs,and the meat from the excess birds.
    I milk the goat twice a day,though milk production is down atm as she had a kid three weeks back....when she's in full production I make yogurt and soft cheese.

I eat a lot more rice and pasta these days especially in the winter,and beans and pulses too which are readily available and very cheap to buy.

Most of the veggie production this year (being my first) has been grown in pots,the veggie patch has been turned over twice and covered for next year when the serious growing will begin.

I am getting to know what is good to forage,I know a local herbalist who comes out with me and points out the good stuff and what to avoid too,especially important with the mushrooms and fungi which there is an abundance of in season!

There is also a lot of good honey production,very cheap to buy,and I'm thinking about getting a few hives sometime,something else to think about for next year maybe.