Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the largest fish that you've caught ? Any record Holders out there ?

Default Whats the largest fish that you've caught ? Any record Holders out there ?

In 1982 I caught a 2.25 lb Bluegill in the Beaver Creek Reservoir ( near green springs Oh )
    I could not believe what I had caught and didn't know until the Game Warden told me that it was really a Bluegill.
    It did not break the record at the time but it was close according to the Ohio Fish and Game Commission.

I also caught a 1.5 lb Perch in Sandusky Bay north of Vickery Oh.( 1984 ) Not a record but the largest damned perch I ever caught period.

I have also caught a 9.25 lb large mouth bass on lake Okeechobee Fl. Not a record by any means but we rarely get to catch anything larger than 7 lbs.

25 lb Muskie at Leesville Lake south of Canton Oh in 1985. Broke the pole landing him got so excited I yanked it into the boat.

I'm sorry but I do not have pics, wish I did but so many moves and a divorce will cause things to get lost.

Anyways, tell us about your big catches. Show some pics if you got'em.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Ling cod. So big I could barely hold it up long enough for the pictures to be taken.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

40# grass carp, image.jpg
    42# common carp, don't have pict on here
    Here's a few more not sure on weights for these, all bowfishing, no R&Rimage.jpg
    Snakeheads
    image.jpg cow nose rays
    image.jpg 36# flathead catfish

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Ling cod. So big I could barely hold it up long enough for the pictures to be taken.

I'll bet he was delicious !!!!

Blog Entries

I've caught a few fresh water keepers, but not many. Mostly Salmon in Maine that ran 12 - 15 lbs., and one 6 lb. Brook Trout, also in Maine.

My luck has always been in the waters of Buzzard's Bay, Vineyard Sound, Nantucket Sound, and Cape Cod Bay.

Got my largest ever, a Yellowfin Tuna, on a deep sea run. It weighed in at around 120 lbs.

I've caught several Cod in the 30 - 40+ lb. range. Nailed one Halibut that ran over 30 lbs., one Striper that was just shy of 45 lbs. and about 10 Stripers over 30 lbs., at least 25 Bluefish in the 15 - 20 lb. range, and at least 250 Tautog that went over 5lbs., 100 Tautog that were 10+ lbs., and 25 Tautog over 15 lbs.

These days, I usually go to the fish wholesalers on the waterfront.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

My personal record is a 278lb Pacific Halibut.

1-PB120036.jpg

Here's a 12 lb Silver salmon (my biggest was 15lbs)

1-IMGP0577.jpg

Here's a "smaller" Halibut...(163#)

1-Josiah & His Halibut.jpg

And a smaller one yet...(80#)

1-IMGP2294.JPG

I have never weighed my Ling Cod, but have caught a few. My biggest king was only about 28lbs. A 30 lb yelloweye.
    Last edited by alaskabushman; 09-01-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post

1-PB120036.jpg

What a hog. My biggest halibut was 103 lbs.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Once caught a 400+ pound Grouper when deployed to Ascension Island. Also caught a Manta Ray that had a 20+ wing span at Diego Garcia (in the lagoon) more to the fact it caught us and was towing us around the lagoon for about 2 hours. We thought it was jaws and we were going to die. I also caught several 200 to 250 lb sharks while at Diego Garcia.
    I know what hunts you.

Luv the utilikilt!

42# Striper is the biggest I've caught, plus many 15-20# bluefish shore fishing off the arm of Cape Cod (Chatham side).
    It's the one I hooked but spooled my reel that I would like to have seen. Figure it was a shark. Saw several later that day out on the sand flats.
    Have caught several decent size fluke and black sea bass on the water in Buzzards Bay but nothing spectacular or record worthy.
    Mostly 2# largemouth bass in the lake across the street. They allow you to keep 2 pounders as long as they meet legal length. Everything else is C&R. Haven't been able to catch any of the real hogs.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Luv the utilikilt!
    someone noticed!
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Try wrestling ling that big to the surface by hand! Ride of your life!

I have caught a lot of fish in my life. So many different kinds. I fished pretty much every single day for well over a decade maybe closer to two decades and then I slowed way down. But, I never caught anything of any great size. I caught a good sized dolphin where my hand was about shoulder high when holding the fishes head just off the ground. My biggest bass is 7.5 lbs which while a decent fish, I have been fishing with people when they have caught bass nearly twice that size.

But, I have landed some pretty big gators on rod and reel. Not a fish, but...

When I was on the USS Alabama SSBN 731, two of our external speed indicators stopped working...at the same time. The are independent systems so there is a very strong probability that something external was causing the failure. Of course, the Commanding Officer and Navigator are not taking the "there's nothing wrong with the equipment" explanation very well. To them - if it isn't working then it must be broken, and if you cannot fix it then you are an inferior technician.

My explanation that we probably ran through a large fishing net was dismissed out of hand. About 36 hours later they both started working.

Two days later we surfaced. I got a call to go up to the bridge and meet with the CO. When I got there he handed me a cigar, lit it and said "If you ever say I told you so, I'll smack you". He then motioned for me to look over the front of the sail. The scrapings from the net were very noticeable and extended from the bow, back a couple of hundred feet.

The point to the story is.......there is some trawler fisherman out there that when asked what the biggest fish he caught was he can say - 560 feet long weighing in at 18,000 tons.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

someone noticed!
    Hhahah of course I noticed!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    Try wrestling ling that big to the surface by hand! Ride of your life!
    That WAS the ride of my life! Well, when it comes to fishing... I had help getting it up over the rail but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post

But, I have landed some pretty big gators on rod and reel. Not a fish, but...

CRIKEY! How was that caught? I mean, do you knock them over the head or what? Shoot them? I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The point to the story is.......there is some trawler fisherman out there that when asked what the biggest fish he caught was he can say - 560 feet long weighing in at 18,000 tons.
    Hahha great story Crash.

Two of my finest, I have bigger fish...The Crappie is over 5 lbs. could of been a world record. The striper is an inland freshwater catch @ 12 lbs.

Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Batch, I'd love to hear some advice before my gator hunt!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    560 feet long weighing in at 18,000 tons.

And it pulled him from near Washington 2/3 of the way to Hawaii. I just hope he had enough diesel to get back home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

1-PB120036.jpg
    I'd call that a "Hell of a Hallibut"

Those are two really amazing fish ! I used to catch stripped bass during the spring runs in Oh and never have seen anything near that size.
    That Crappie is absolutely outstanding. Thanks for sharing.