Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fukushima RADIATION 18 times higher than reported.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Fukushima RADIATION 18 times higher than reported.

Banned

I believe it's much worse than this story alludes to and here's why:

If you'll observe in the photo from the story, you will notice many areas with round storage tanks. These have all been brought on site to store all the highly contaminated groundwater which is leaking INTO at least one of these damaged reactors. Clearly indicative of a containment breach. The site already has hundreds of these storage tanks on site with no proven way of dealing with the water. Adding more tanks for the additional water contaminated everyday. This is a highly active seismic zone. The likelihood of another major earthquake striking the area within our lifetime is rather high. Considering the failures these tanks are already exhibiting, there is a high probability that many or all of these tanks would experience a containment failure under such a scenario. When this happens, you will have millions of gallons of highly radioactive water further contaminating the site as it finds it's way into the ocean nearby. Also likely is the structural failure of the spent fuel containment pool for the number 4 reactor. When exposed directly to air, at high temperatures, the Zirconium alloy shielding will undergo spontaneous ignition and this fire cannot be extinguished once started. Whatever fissile byproducts that were once contained within that rod are "now free to roam about the cabin".

What are the common byproducts of Uranium-235 fission?

Cesium-137. Water soluble. Chemically acts like a salt. Called a soft tissue seeker. Half-life 30+ years. -Beta particle radiation.

Strontium 90. Chemically similar to Calcium. Considered a "bone seeker". Exposure results in higher incidents of Leukemia and Bone Cancers. Half-life 28+ years. -Beta particle radiation.

Iodine-131. Increased risk of cancers as it's absorbed into the thyroid gland. Half-life 8 days. -Beta particle radiation.

Plutonium-239. Multiple decay chain paths resulting in all forms of known radioactivity. Half-life 24,125 years.

Residual Uranium-235. Multiple decay chain paths also resulting in Alpha, Beta, and Gamma radiation. Half-life 704 million years.

TEPCO continues to demonstrate just how poorly equipped they are to manage this crisis. The meter is ticking. If another seismic event strikes the area before the reactors and these contaminated water holding tanks have been stabilized and all spent fuel rods are evacuated to a safer location, this disaster will deteriorate from a severe catastrophe to somewhere beyond apocalyptic. We've got trillions of cubic feet in newly discovered natural gas reserves. The time has come to shut down the US Nuclear industry and move into safer greener power generation.

For a few decades of "cheap power" we have contaminated significant areas of Japan, the Pacific Ocean, the Ukraine, and unknown numbers of industrial sites for hundreds if not thousands or even millions of years. What right do we have to saddle future generations with this mess? I consider it our common responsibility, our duty, and our moral obligation to leave this planet a little better than we found it.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 09-01-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

And these things are all over America, and all over the world.

Banned

104 commercial reactors within the US alone (dozens more smaller research reactors). Some 31 of those 104 are reported to be the same GE Mark I boiling water reactor as the 6 found at Fukushima. How much more proof do we need that we are in over our heads with this technology? The only consistency in this event has been the deliberate under-reporting by the "experts" at TEPCO.

It's like this. If we're an accident in the universe (and according to some, every rational person in the world now believes this) there is absolutely no reason to do any particular thing other than for what it gets us now, because there is a time in the future where absolutely nothing we do now matters. What difference, then, does it make?

How are you going to convince people with this mentality that they should "go green?" And, I'm afraid, they're the ones in control.

Best start evolving so that you can handle the radioactivity.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Banned

Don't know that evolving is possible. Gamma radiation is a biocide. It kills all life forms. Kind of hard to overcome death in the evolutionary cycle.

In that case, better start being right with God and looking forward to joining him.

Banned
    Blog Entries

or her as the case may be.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    In that case, better start being right with God and looking forward to joining him.

I agree with Benesse, but I'm not so sure immunity to gamma radiation is impossible. It work mostly by breaking the weak electron bonds in DNA molecules. If an organism could repair the bonds as fast as their broken ..... La Cucaracha seems to have a knack.....
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    I agree with Benesse, but I'm not so sure immunity to gamma radiation is impossible. It work mostly by breaking the weak electron bonds in DNA molecules. If an organism could repair the bonds as fast as their broken ..... La Cucaracha seems to have a knack.....
    Better living through science? Wolf, if you want to splice your genome with that of a cockroach, knock yourself out! Personally I like my DNA chain just the way it is and I have not, and do not, authorize you nor anyone else the license to willfully or unknowingly alter it in any shape, form, or fashion. This is a diabolical path that the so called "powers that be" have chosen to follow. What is worse is that it is not a path taken out of necessity, but one selected out of pure greed. I can't understand how anyone with a grasp of the science can defend the nuclear power industry? There are still too many unknowns and no safe means of eliminating the vast mountains of waste it continues to create. Our planet has finite limits. It can sustain only so much life at any given time. If we continue to poison it with nuclear waste, we've only made our predicament that much more dire. The nuclear power industry has been built upon deception after deception. In any other industry these displays of incompetency would have been met with job terminations. I don't know of any power plant that came on line within schedule or within budget. I am talking about significant cost overruns in the billions of dollars. Additionally, there have been numerous reports of incidents where leaks or unintended release of radiation has occurred. These mishaps have occurred at sites across the US. When you combine this incriminating history with the lies and deception now emanating from Fukushima, I say enough is enough! Anyone who wants to profit from or promote this industry needs to do so from within the confines of the exclusion zones they have created in the Ukraine or Japan. In fact the owners, financiers, and all the senior management of these facilities should be required to live on site, without exception! If they're prepared to make that concession, I'd a least be willing to let them present their science to an unbiased group of their peers for meaningful review.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 09-02-2013 at 12:27 PM.

About the only questions I have are what's the best tent in a wilderness setting and what do you consider essentials to take with you to the Alaskan wilderness?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Lots of lead?

Whoa! Cast Iron! Great idea!

I will be..........(wait for it).........Cockroachman!

Actually, the healthy human body already has the mechanisms to repair damaged DNA and eliminate damaged tissue - the key concept is "Healthy". Most bodies in the human colony have compromised immunity. There are some, though, that still have a lot of resilience. It may well be that we are going to weed ourselves out pretty soon. I'm just hoping that we don't go about it too zealously and wipe everyone out in the process.

We will all be mutants some day, then we won't care!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    About the only questions I have are what's the best tent in a wilderness setting The one that stays up and what do you consider essentials to take with you to the Alaskan wilderness? The largest luxury off road RV I can find, and a driver
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I'll bet you never hear 2dumb say that.
    No offense 2D, but that got a chuckle!

I'll bet you never hear 2dumb say that.
    Actually, he, of all people, would say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    YES!!!!! Crash just logged off. I snuck one by!

Yeah, right. We'll see how long that stands. You can't see the IR laser shining on it. You have to have mod glasses to see it.

416676906_1363706025.jpg

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Yeah, right. We'll see how long that stands. You can't see the IR laser shining on it. You have to have mod glasses to see it.
    Every unscathed minute is another victory. Don't you go call him now.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

And you all realize, of course, that your quotes of my post prolly won't get moved. Unless Crash changes his strategy.
    Nothing will get moved...you were much too easy on 2D.

Wow! You have no idea how much larger the laser just became. It's huge!