Thread: Internet Crash: 6 Unthinkable Scenarios

Blog Entries

Default Internet Crash: 6 Unthinkable Scenarios

"For those prone to a kind of low-grade ambient paranoia, the outages suggest a grim scenario: Are these events equivalent to the flickering of house lights before a massive blackout descends? Could a large-scale disaster or attack take down some or even all of the global online network? That is to say, is it possible for the Internet to crash?"

Internet Crash: 6 Unthinkable Scenarios

http://news.discovery.com/tech/inter...mes-130729.htm
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quite possible.
    Whatchagonnado...I file it under $hit happens.

The beat goes on......La dee dade da.....La dee dade do
    Last edited by Mischief; 09-01-2013 at 07:55 PM.

i'm currently a student taking i.t. classes and they tell us that the u.s. military built the internet in the 1970's specifically to withstand multiple strategic nuclear weapon strikes, but it's all in theory... i don't think anyone actually knows.

We may all have to go back to doing things like we did in the old days....1980's?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

During the cold war there was a transcontinental cable that served as the final line of communications regardless of what happened. Then a second line was added and some offshoots. I have no idea why. It was the L-5 Line and it was supposed to be able to handle in excess of 100k conversations at once. I have been in one of the bunkers in Noble, Illinois while it was still in service and it was pretty impressive. Blast doors, decon showers, its own water and power suppliers. All for a cable less than the diameter of your arm. I sort of imagined Pres. Carter (at the time) picking up the red phone in the White House and hearing....."Number Please". Well, it was funny to me.

Believe it or not the internet began as the telegraph system. That system grew until ARPA, which became known as ARPANET, was first used in the late '60s. It actually had nothing to do with the military or nuclear war but a way for universities to exchange data on science projects. If I remember right the first use was between UCLA and Stanford. Might be wrong on which universities.

But the military didn't miss an opportunity for a good thing so once ARPANET was up and running they took it over and MILNET was born. Nice guys, huh?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'd have to cook over an open flame, read by lantern or candle, no T.V., no computer, no phone, reminds me of the last time we had a bad hurricane.