Thread: The Tom Brown Jr. Tracker Knife

Blog Entries

Default The Tom Brown Jr. Tracker Knife

The Tracker Knife, yeah I got one. I'm sure that this knife has come up on here before, not sure if it was a review or just questions so im'a tell you how mine did in the field.
    In a word.. Great.
    When I signed up for my SAR course I knew I needed a good field knife, not that I don't have plenty and I chose to take my SOG Fixation Dagger (my favorite knife), my son, God bless him, got me the Tom Brown Jr. Tracker Knife and I had reservations about this big heavy bulky knife, but not wanting to disappoint him I strapped it to my backpack for use as a camp knife.
    To my delight the knife worked better than I expected and came razor sharp and held its edge through the 9 day course, it chopped what I needed, I used the draw blade to shave bark and split wood for my fire, and cut everything I needed to cut and I used the serrated saw blade to cut fairly thick branches. I made tent stakes, 6 of them using this knife, worked great, and the base and triggers for my snares were cut easily and it sliced my paracord like butter. The blade is front heavy, thus making it tip heavy for throwing which I tried and it stuck perfect every time. It's strong, versatile, and I even dug my fire pit with it. It has a gut hook on it for skinning but I personally like a smaller blade for that.
    Overall it worked better than I expected, the weight didn't bother me as I really didn't notice it as I was using it, the sheath held it firmly in place and I give it an 8 outta 10 stars.
    This has now become my backpack/camp knife.
    Last edited by Beo; 08-30-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Oh, the only thing I would change on this knife, the weight, that could be accomplished by simply cutting the thickness in half, it's a full tang blade which I love, strong, and the grips are OK, I will probably remove them and paracord wrap the handle.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Wow, I might change my mind about it. Thought about one but it seemed more like a Tom Brown money making gimmick. Isn't it like $350?

Couldn't get use to mine, got one for sale if anyone is interested

Blog Entries

I think my son got it for $210, we have a great knife store here, Clark Cutlery, the shops better than their website, it's actually in Newport Ky.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Beo, they make it in a mini with a 3/16 thick blade.
    http://www.tombrowntracker.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries

Beo, didn't you say you knew Tom Brown, Jr. or maybe took a class from him?
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Blog Entries

Took a class from him and have all his books, I like the books once you cut through the native american mumbo jumbo (not that their religious beliefs, teachings, or traditions are mumbo jumbo that's just how he wrote the books) the gist of the books is really great stuff.

Blog Entries

Oh I'm sorry RR my son paid $180 for the tracker knife

You didn't like the teachings if grandfather? Lol

I took the course back in 88 in jersey, also have all the books. Like the Mumbo jumbo.. Interesting person

Thanks for the review. I've always been intrigued with it and have been wanting to see one in person.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Is Tom Brown for real?
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Interesting question and probably asked by more than one of his detractors.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Too much money. If I'm gonna pound on a knife with a log to make kindling, I'm not spending $100+++ for it (I also wouldn't use it as a draw knife aimed at my crotch like in one of those links SD posted. Yikes!).

I prefer a knife to be a good knife.
    You can get a good knife, a good fiskars folding saw and a small hatchet for less than what that thing costs.
    And it all probably weighs less too.

Cool to look at. But still, too much money.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Lowkay
    I also wouldn't use it as a draw knife aimed at my crotch

Now you know why I wear a hong. Good chance of poking a hole in a good pair of pants doin' that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm a southpaw so, yeah, I ain't right.

I suppose that next you'll try and convince us that you're in your right mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel