Thread: Whats the skinny on "fire pistons"?

Default Whats the skinny on "fire pistons"?

I was enjoying my current issue of "The Backwoodsman" and I came across an article featuring the fire piston. I have seen these advertised in other magazines but this is the first time I had actually ever heard of someone using one. I always looked upon them as some kind of gimmick. After checking them out online I discovered they are kind of expensive, $50 for a basic unit. My question is this...are they worth it? I admit its pretty cool but would it hold up under actual survival conditions? I have been using my ferro rods without any problem for about 15 years, so I hesitate to try something new. Has anyone actually tried one? How well did it work in wet/rainy conditions? The video I watched made it look super easy, is it really so? The point in the article I read was that fire pistons ignite a coal rather than a flame. A coal, they argued, is much more difficult to extinguish than a flame is and thus is more reliable. I have started many a fire with traditional flint and steel and char cloth so I am familiar with using a coal to nurture a flame. I dont think my ferro rods will ever be replaced, but I like to have as many different ways to start a fire as possible.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Rick, I did do a search but most of the threads I found didn't answer my questions specifically or they were pretty old and I didn't want to raise the dead with a new question.
    Last edited by alaskabushman; 08-28-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Me-"Exactly."

No problem. Just offering some additional resources. I don't own a fire piston so I can't comment on their reliability. Like you, I own different ways to start a fire but just not that way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm no pro when it comes to fire pistons but I don't see much advantage to them vs. a fire steel (aside from the fact that the latter will wear out eventually...although I suppose so will the former).

I've used one that was pretty snazzy and made one that worked without the snazz. For me - it's just a novelty, but nice to have that tool in the bank o' knowledge.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have about a half dozen of them. Some of the expensive ones are worthless; however, I found one on EBay that works better than any I've ever tried. I have a fancy one made from water-buffalo horn, fitted with a pressure relief valve, etc. If was well over $60.00 and does not work very well. The EBay piston is only $20.00 and (there till is technique involved) works great.

One key note: I make char cloth from those 100% cotton pads the ladies use to remove their makeup. I tear of chunk of the charred pad off and stuff it into the tip of the fire piston. It ignites every time.

Key note #2: It's important to lube the O-ring on the piston. I use wire-pulling lube on mine.

Here's the one I bought off of EBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STREAMLINED-...4&cmd=ViewItem

If the link doesn't work, you can do a search for "Eunco Fire Piston."

Truth be told, a firesteel is probably a better survival kit choice; but, making a fire with a fire piston is more impressive and really generates some interesting conversation.

It seems the primitive fire piston is the genesis of the diesel engine. It's a fascinating story that carries the fire piston from a Malaysian native to Carl von Linde to Rudolf Diesel (a student of Linde's): "People who live in the mountainous area in Southeast Asia have performed ground-burnt-off cultivation from ancient times in the mountainous region covered by tropical rain forests. It is also carried out widely around the Kalimantan Island even now. Since it rains mostly, the climate of these islands is humid. Therefore, maintenance of a fire is difficult. In these areas, the fire piston was invented at ancient times and it has been used for many years. A piston is quickly driven into a cylinder of small bore and air is compressed. The high temperature generated by it lights tinder at the tip of a piston. Professor Linde of Munchen Technische Hochschule is famous for invention of the refrigerating machine in 1873. He gave a lecture on the Pinang island in Southeast Asia, and got the fire piston as a souvenir. He performed the returning-home-from-abroad report lecture in school. At this time, Professor Linde lit a cigarette with the fire piston. Diesel who was looking at it has sensed that the principle of a fire piston can apply to ignition of an internal combustion engine. Europe of those days was the midst of development competition of an internal combustion engine and an automobile. Diesel did theoretical research about the internal combustion engines. He applied for the patent and obtained at Britain in 1892 and after, at Germany in 1893. Then, he invented the world's first self-ignition internal combustion engine after extraordinary efforts. The principle of a Diesel engine can be said to be in the fire piston that is the tool of a life of the mountainous people lived in Southeast Asia."

If you have to buy one and carry it with you....Why not a Zippo?
    If I was to receive one, that worked, as a gift I would take it to play with.....But I wouldn't buy one.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Haha! I already carry a Zippo! I don't smoke but it comes in handy almost every day. Thats kind of where I'm at Hunter, they sound cool, look cool and appear to function, but I already carry firesteel, lifeboat matches and butane lighters in all my kits. If I cant get a fire going with any of those three what makes me think I will with another gadget? Maybe someday, but I'd almost rather buy $60 worth of strike anywhere kitchen matches.... :/

Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    Haha! I already carry a Zippo! I don't smoke but it comes in handy almost every day. Thats kind of where I'm at Hunter, they sound cool, look cool and appear to function, but I already carry firesteel, lifeboat matches and butane lighters in all my kits. If I cant get a fire going with any of those three what makes me think I will with another gadget? Maybe someday, but I'd almost rather buy $60 worth of strike anywhere kitchen matches.... :/
    Bingo........And when something really has to burn...and you have to bring it with you....be cool about it....
    Road Flares.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I don't have one, and have never used one. I don't see the need. I see a magnifying glass for useful. On top of matches, lighter, fero rod, and a magnifying lens, what else do I need? I see it as a "hey guys, watch this!"

Any benefits to one would be the same benefits as carrying a chunk of flint and a steel striker.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I think that a flint and striker would be better! It isn't much more simple than a rock and a chunk of steel!

Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    I think that a flint and striker would be better! It isn't much more simple than a rock and a chunk of steel!
    Yeah, but the right kind of rock, and the right kind of steel........I have dug up a piece of chert while making the camp's fire pit....and used it with my steel to make the camp fire......still have it.
    Camp was on an historical site, was this a artifact?....don't know..... but chert is not native unless it was dragged in by glaciers, so I would like to think so....

So how cool is it to dig up a "match"?....LOL

BTW in the pic's of the road flares (pretty funny right?...LOL, joke) the leather pouch I'm wearing has a mini multi tool, mini Bic and a small ferro rod...bottom has cotton balls scrunched up and stuffed in it.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.