Thread: Wooden coasters

Default Wooden coasters

I couldn't find my old coasters thread, so I figured I'd give an update in a new one.

This is what I did. I used a belt sander to make the coasters look less messed up (with P36 and P120 grit) and then with a palm sander. Then, I slathered them with olive oil and baked them for 15 mins at 250F in the oven. This is the result.

The problem that I'm having is that I still have some oil coming off of it (not much, but I can notice it.)

I'd like to avoid using harsh chemicals in this process, but not sure about what to do best. Thoughts?

image (1).jpg
    image.jpg

I have never had to deal with this so I can only offer some suggestions. You can try to dry the wood in the oven by setting it at the lowest temperature and leaving the oven door open. You can dehydrate olive oil out of food but as I say I've never tried to do this with wood. I would try only one to see how it works. When you dry the wood you are taking a chance on it spalling so use the lowest temperature and keep a close eye on it. I'm surprised it didn't spall when it was baked but the wood cells may have absorbed enough oil to protect them. This would be what I would try if it were me.

Another thought is to coat it with polyurethane. Some woods like aromatic cedar or cocobola, for example, contain an anti-oxidant that prevents any kind of oil from curing. I don't remember what you said the wood was but here is a list of dalbergia woods, which contain the anti-oxidant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalbergia

oil rubs and poly are generally the easiet to reamalgamate. I've never tried with olive oil so I have no idea whether they will adhere together or not. Obviously, their chemical properties are different.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I've had lot's of luck using this.

Ingredients: Refined seed oil, lemon oil, vitamin E and carotene. http://www.planetnatural.com/product/block-oil/

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

On some of my linseed oil gunstocks I use a hard past wax as a sealer. Maybe that would work.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have never had to deal with this so I can only offer some suggestions. You can try to dry the wood in the oven by setting it at the lowest temperature and leaving the oven door open. You can dehydrate olive oil out of food but as I say I've never tried to do this with wood. I would try only one to see how it works. When you dry the wood you are taking a chance on it spalling so use the lowest temperature and keep a close eye on it. I'm surprised it didn't spall when it was baked but the wood cells may have absorbed enough oil to protect them. This would be what I would try if it were me.

Another thought is to coat it with polyurethane. Some woods like aromatic cedar or cocobola, for example, contain an anti-oxidant that prevents any kind of oil from curing. I don't remember what you said the wood was but here is a list of dalbergia woods, which contain the anti-oxidant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalbergia

oil rubs and poly are generally the easiet to reamalgamate. I've never tried with olive oil so I have no idea whether they will adhere together or not. Obviously, their chemical properties are different.
    It's birch, forgot to mention it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    On some of my linseed oil gunstocks I use a hard past wax as a sealer. Maybe that would work.
    Will a hard wax on a coaster hold up to a hot cup placed on it? I have no idea, but it's a consideration.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Cool idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Will a hard wax on a coaster hold up to a hot cup placed on it? I have no idea, but it's a consideration.
    When I think of a coaster, I think of a cold beer, LOL. There is one way to find out though.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Paw Paw used shoe polish on the Grand Father Clock he built. I have used it gun stocks! as a sealer works great!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

A little update. I put on the olive oil three times on a coaster and made sure that it seeped into the wood. Then, I proceeded to put it in the oven for 15 mins at 250 F. Then -- this is what I'm planning to do -- I left that sucker for 3 days on one side (on paper*) and then 3 days on the other side (on paper*.) This should allow the excess oil to seep away from the coaster and then you have a perfectly fine coaster to use.

I've been using two of them and the first two days I'd get some oily residue on stuff, very little, but noticeable, afterwards it was fine.

I put on a _very_ hot cup of tea on that bad boy afterwards and it was fine.

Also, it looks rather attractive and rugged. The beauty of this is that the bark has not come off and the wood has not cracked or warped in any way, so I'm doubly happy about that.

* Newspaper or adverts that you get in the mail will do.

I'm glad it worked for you and I'm glad you found a solution that worked. The really cool thing about wood, in my opinion, is you learn something every time. You either learn how to or how not to do it. The fact that you have a functional piece of wood in the end is just icing on the cake for me. I think you did a nice job, personally.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That was a cool project.....congrats.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm glad it worked for you and I'm glad you found a solution that worked. The really cool thing about wood, in my opinion, is you learn something every time. You either learn how to or how not to do it. The fact that you have a functional piece of wood in the end is just icing on the cake for me. I think you did a nice job, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    That was a cool project.....congrats.
    Thank you guys .

I imagine that different types of wood would behave in different ways. What worked for birch, might now work for oak or willow or maple.

I want to make a chair as my next carpentry project.

Be aware that a chair is about as difficult a project as you can choose when it comes to wood working. It incorporates most of the basic elements of wood working unless you are very particular on the design. You generally will have to cut mortises and tenons as well as angled and often complex joinery. I would suggest you look for an easy design like an Adirondak chair. They are pretty simple in design. So simple in fact they are usually cheaper to buy than to build.

Be aware that a chair is about as difficult a project as you can choose when it comes to wood working. It incorporates most of the basic elements of wood working unless you are very particular on the design. You generally will have to cut mortises and tenons as well as angled and often complex joinery. I would suggest you look for an easy design like an Adirondak chair. They are pretty simple in design. So simple in fact they are usually cheaper to buy than to build.
    Honestly, I think I spoke too soon. The biggest drawback? I don't own a garage to build the damn thing in and doing it outside is the only option (assuming the weather cooperates.)

You could make an Adirondak in an afternoon once you get all your supplies together. If you have enough spare lumber then it will just cost you some time. You can find them for about $50 so I wouldn't spend a lot on lumber unless you wanted to build more than one.