Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm back a failure, and full of shame.

Thumbs down I'm back a failure, and full of shame.

Well...i'm back.... I made it 57 out of 211 miles due to illness. Here's what happened, bonus points if you can tell what the illness was from my symptoms. (That's you super medic Welderguy )

Day 1- I arrive in Yosemite valley at 0500. There is already a line of more than 6 people for the supposed 4 daily wilderness permits. I wait just in case. No luck at the the first opening. A few hours later they mention cancelations. I got lucky and snagged one but it only allowed me to go 6 miles into little Yosemite valley. It was afternoon anyone. I stuff my face with one last meal and head out. The hike out of the valley was strenuous. I made it to the valley and set up my camp. Oddly enough a guy nearby recognized my hammock and said "Hey you're John Smith (My fake Facebook name), the one stirring up all the **** about guns!" Then he proceeded to criticize me about guns being bad. Can you believe it? He really recognized me from the gun flaming thread on the JMT page.

Day 2- I wake up early and start hiking. I start feeling congested, slight headache. I hope i'm not getting sick. I made good distance and set up camp. It was a rough night with hail, lightening and thunder. I toss and turn all night feeling worse.

Day 3- I wake up sure i'm sick. Bad headache, death rattle in my congested chest. I believe I have the flu and push through determined to finish this damn thing and not come back a failure. I make it to Tuolumne Meadows, last chance to call for a pick up and back out. Nope. Keep going. Hooah.

Day 4- I push through and make it over Donahue pass. At the top I start coughing up blood. I feel as if my eyes are going to pop out of my skull and shoot off the cliff. Splitting throbbing headache. I start getting concerned I might have Hantavirus, which runs rampant up there, and my Sawyer Squeeze filter does not filter out viruses. I make it over the pass and set up camp. I spend a sleepless night in agony, I take my Vicodin, which doesn't even touch the pain. For some reason night time is worse than the day.

Day 5- I wake up. It's unbelievably worse. I'm tired. Disoriented, almost drunk. Can barely hold myself up and walk straight. I feel like I might start having diarrhea and vomiting. I realize I must make a decision. Stay and hug a water hole some I can combat the hypovolemia sure to come from the flu, possibly ending in SAR helo rescue, or try and hike out in a hurry. I decide to hike, mostly because the congestion clears up a lot when I stay moving. I start making my way out to the nearest road/ranger station (which ended up being 23 miles hike) I remember half of the hike. Staggering around trying to get out. I remember running into a group of about 5 hikers that seemed concerned about me. Told me to sit and drink. I mumbled incoherently to them and kept going.

At this point water sounds gross to me. I know I must stay hydrated but the thought of water and or food turns my stomach. I just want to keep moving and make it out. Right before nightfall I make it to Devils Post Pile at a rangers station. I staggering onto his porch, he asks if i'm ok, offers oxygen, first aid, which I deny, and say I just have the flu, need to get to a town to get a ride out.

He seems concerned I have Hantavirus. He notices my combat boots and ACUS, he's a retired 1SGT. Instead of making me wait for a bus and pay $7, he gives me a ride to Mammoth lakes in his truck. He takes me to a few hotels I don't have money for. After some walking around town I try a hotel and some lady offered to pay over $100 for my room. A dirty stinky bearded backpacker she doesn't know. Kindness. I phone for a ride the next day and go home.

That night in the hotel some cheesy show in Alaska mentions altitude sickness. Bing bing. I google it. SURPRISE. It causes hemoptysis, pulmonary edema (HAPE), and cerebral edema (HACE) and is potentially fatal. Remember my death rattle and coughing up blood? The worst headache of my life? Eyes feeling like they were going to pop out? That's because my brain was swelling up in my skull, and my lungs were backing up. Also, for some reason, nights are extremely worse for symptoms. Which, are almost always mistaken for the flu.

Now, I knew altitude sickness. I thought. I thought it was mild dizziness, and lightheadedness that was no big deal you could push through and get acclimated to. Lesson learned. I could have easily died. Wilderness survival got a little real. Kind of pissed because in Paramedic school, they skipped over dive injuries and altitude sickness, saying you don't need these unless you go work near the ocean or mountains. Awesome. Could have cost me my life.

So it's been almost 48 hours out of the mountains, everything has cleared up but a slight throbbing headache. I am really bummed out I spent a lot of money on this, time, and so on. And I only made it 57/211 miles. I suck. On so many levels. But, can you really put a price on hard lessons learned like this? I knew altitude was an issue. That's why they recommend going north to south to get acclimated before climbing Whitney. What I didn't know is right off the bat from sea level to there is 8K feet and rarely drops below, climbing to about 12K feet in the first couple days.

There you go. Let me have it.

On a positive note I did get a bit of video and pictures. I skipped a lot of things assuming I had to stretch my battery out over three weeks.
    Please embed this video Rick

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 08-26-2013 at 04:26 PM.

I wouldnt of thought of altitude sickness, mainly because I didn't know the elevation is that high there, I would of thought bacterial phenomena.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

There is no shame in making 57 miles, You Tried that's all that matters! It happens, now you can prepare for it and be ready to finish that trek next year
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh yea, that's tough. Even though I lived at 5400' for years and went skiing every weekend of the winter for YEARS at 10,000', one night staying at the lodge was all it took. I thought my head was going to explode. I couldn't even stay the whole night but left about 5 am to get down the mountain.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    There is no shame in making 57 miles, You Tried that's all that matters! It happens, now you can prepare for it and be ready to finish that trek next year
    Thanks. Next year I will spend a couple days camping in the valley before I start.

Funny I had to find out about two things they skipped in Medic school on my own. This through first hand experience, and dive injuries as a hobby I really got into. A lot of medic stuff is up to you to research and keep up with, isn't it?

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Lord knows I've had trails beat me. You learn something with each encounter. The important thing here is you learned that you are susceptible to altitude sickness so you'll have to spend some time acclimating, if you can, if you go again.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    Thanks. Next year I will spend a couple days camping in the valley before I start.

Funny I had to find out about two things they skipped in Medic school on my own. This through first hand experience, and dive injuries as a hobby I really got into. A lot of medic stuff is up to you to research and keep up with, isn't it?
    Wilderness EMT class's there well worth the money. I didn't get any training in dive related injuries till I was doing recovery work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think you're being too hard on yourself. Lord knows I've had trails beat me. You learn something with each encounter. The important thing here is you learned that you are susceptible to altitude sickness so you'll have to spend some time acclimating, if you can, if you go again.
    Thanks Rick, I know life isn't over, but I should have known better. Oh well I learned. On a positive surprise someone from my dive site just said they are going to push the snow pack and start Sep 10 and invited me. Maybe I will get to try again this year, what are the odds?

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Wilderness EMT class's there well worth the money. I didn't get any training in dive related injuries till I was doing recovery work.
    I've found there is maybe one a year in California, and it is crazy expensive. I would gladly pay the money, if it was here. I don't want to have to fly to another state AND pay tons of money for a 2 or 3 day class. I've wanted W-EMT for so long I might just have to give in and do it though.

Those pictures look amazing. 57 miles is no joke, especially when your sick!
    "I don't fail, I just succeed at finding what won't work."

Failure is sitting on the couch not even attempting it. I think it rocks you tried to do it. I'd love to do something like that! Good job.
    "Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems"....... SO2 Ryan Job USN (SEAL)

Blog Entries

I see no shame or failure in your actions. You made it back home in piece with a tale to tell, where's the failure in that?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Hey RR - 57 miles under those conditions is purty darn good. Most I ever did was 30-some klicks and several occasions with a ruck.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Banned
    Blog Entries

Reading the OP, I kept wondering if you had been near any dirty hypodermic needles......????
    Last edited by Sourdough; 08-26-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Reading the OP, I kept wondering if you had been near any hypodermic needles......????
    HAHAHAHA you kill me SD. I'm surprised I didn't just assume it was the HIV taking effect!

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. Next time i'll do it right and finish.

Congrats, my friend.
    You made it back.....so it was a success....and one of those trips, where you can say ...years from now......I remember how that trip really sucked, I should have done so and so, instead of thus and such.

Altitude sickness is no joke, a buddies young boy got it bad in Colorado, while we were elk hunting....camping at 10500 ft and hunting even higher.
    I didn't want to get out of the truck....couldn't see any air out there.
    Well done.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Where did you find the whiskey in the bag?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I didn't want to get out of the truck....couldn't see any air out there.
    Well done.
    HAHAHA!

Winter- I put it in the bag. I simply heated the bottle over the stove, peeled the label off and stuck it on my platypus for aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Reading the OP, I kept wondering if you had been near any dirty hypodermic needles......????
    That's what I thought as well. I am glad it was just altitude sickness. That's cureable. 57 miles ain't no joke. You might have pushed too hard in the beginning. Go slow at first to get used to it. I don't think you failed at all. Great job!
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee