Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In 1955.....

Rick and Ken: IBM 360 Mod 20, programmed in RPG. We had a big party when we upgraded from 4K to 8K. And the company did business internationally.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2crows View Post
    Rick and Ken: IBM 360 Mod 20, programmed in RPG. We had a big party when we upgraded from 4K to 8K. And the company did business internationally.
    We had a party when we changed from one of these:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

to one of these

“Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Does anyone remember when PC/DOS (IBM) was preferred because MS/DOS (Microsoft) wasn't expected to survive in the marketplace?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Remember them? I'm still listening to the 60s!
    If you can remember the '60's....you weren't "there"......LOL

Pretty bad when the Play list of your life is now on the "Oldies Stations"........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Ain't that the truth. Or when you have no clue who today's artists are or whether what's being played is music, a Gregorian Chant, or just someone yelling words.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think my mom was born in 55.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Some how I can't see a Oldies Rap radio station.....if they even have radio in the future.....

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMe
    Uhoh. I think I was in Utah a few decades back.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    A youngster she is!

In the late 70's I swear my parents almost got a divorce over dad buying an Apple 2plus. Best thing he EVER did for us kids. We got ahead of the curve going into college.
    First program I did was in Basic on that thing. It was a random number generator for picking lottery ticket numbers. Shoulda patented it at the time.
    College was still using batch cards when we ran physics experiments. Found out if you put your Next X in the wrong location that baseball goes up a really long time before coming back down...and once got back 30 pages of data points on a simple Biometrics statistical problem.

My sister recently gave me a birthday card that said:
    Remember when:
    Grownups could be glamourous,
    When people said "thank you" and "please"
    When moms called their kids in for supper at dusk,
    You played Hide and Seek
    And Climbed trees.
    When Downtown seemed so far away,
    You caught lightning buds in a jar
    When drugstores had fountains
    and most kids had a bike,
    and a wish for every star
    When no one had pedigreed dogs
    and you read comic books by the ton
    You bought candy for a penny,
    You drank chocolate milk,
    And expected each day to be Fun.
    If these simple things bring a smile to your face whenever they're heard or told,
    It means you were lucky to have such good times.
    It also means that your OLD.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.[/URL]
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-25-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: fixed link
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

This place is still very much in business. Although it's closer to Nell than us we try to make at least one trip there every year. It is just way cool. It's in two building. The first one in the vid is the museum. The last part is the ice cream parlor.

http://www.zaharakos.com/

Blog Entries

I make a pilgrimage here at least once a year: http://www.oldcountrystoreonline.com/

"Welcome to the Old Country Store online!

We cordially invite you to share a rare and wonderful experience at the Old Country Store and Emporium located in the heart of West Mansfield Village in Massachusetts. The Old Country Store has been a purveyor of old tyme provisions, oddments, fancies, decorations, house wares and elegant gifts for over 180 years. Heck, Andrew Jackson, the 7th President of the United States, was in the White House when our doors first opened!

If you are looking for unique items for your home, cottage, office or any gift-giving occasion we have the perfect selection for your shopping pleasure. We carry a wide array of gourmet foods, jewelry, apothecary, outdoor living, home decor, furniture and lighting products from over 230 suppliers. Our products are displayed in a 12 room, 17,000 square foot building - so prepare to be "a-mazed".

Walk down memory lane as you select all of your childhood favorites from the old fashion candy counter. Enjoy a sampling of our homemade fudge bites or jumbo pickles from the barrel.

Watch a child's face light up with the sound of our player piano and coinola. Make their smile grow with a classic game, toy, doll or puzzle from our toy shop.

Shop for your new baby, home goods, quilted bedding or candles in an authentic New England country store setting.

Restock your kitchen with an array of gadgets and accessories. Find the perfect picture for any room.

Choose a beautiful piece of furniture, a classic rug, lamp or heirloom clock that will make your home as special as you've imagined.

Or simply treat yourself with our jewelry, scarves, handbags or apothecary items for all occasions.

At the Old Country Store there is something for everyone, all the time!

Thank you for stopping by our web site. Your support of our historical New England country store will allow us to preserve this national treasure for generations to come.

We look forward to welcoming you!

Happy shopping,

Chris & Lauryn Baker
    Shopkeepers"

W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

That's more like 1755, not 1955.....just saying.....
    I guess it like any kid these days....if something is just older that they are.....It's just plain "Old".

1955 was before my time, but I love some of the stuff from then. '55 Chevy's come to mind. '55 was the birth of the small block Chevy, and to all the gearheads like me, that's a big deal. hahaha.

Oh, yeah......let's not forget the music!

Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Not nearly as old as some of you folks. But, I am grandfather of two.

Our first computer was a TSR-80 Color Computer. That used Color Basic. well' of course all of the books my dad got for programing were in BASIC. So we typed for hours and when we ran the code it might work. Or we had to debug line by line only to find out the BASIC in this program just wasn't close enough to run on a COLOR BASIC computer.

What about Compuserve on cassette tapes and the modems you set you phones hand set in?

I do not remember when supper became dinner though. My mom always had supper ready at 5PM and left overs went in the icebox. Not a fridge or refrigerator.

Cable was an A/B switch and one channel HBO. It came on around 5PM on weekdays and near noon on weekends and went off at around mid night like most channels. Remember the national anthem at sign off?

We were gone the second we finished our chores on Saturday until the street lights went out. Because in and out wasn't tolerated!