Thread: Squirrel Camp

Default Squirrel Camp

Thought I'd share some pics of my outing last weekend, we hiked for about 20 min to the back side of 60 acres my family farm owns which is mostly large pine but the back corner is large hardwoods and nut trees. Squirrel season just came in last week so our goal was to shoot some for dinner or lunch the next day. We found cut nuts by the hundreds, so there was a lot sign of tree rats but we were unable to find any.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I made some more stools so we didn't have to sit on the ground or pack in chairs, goes along with the thinking the more you know the less you have to carry. I brought the Alice pack along on this trip beaus i brought more gear in than usual (had to make the cam more female friendly for my buddies girlfriend). My buddy forgot his blanket and i didn't know this, well it got pretty cool that night (down to the low 50's i think) and he broke out his mylar space blanket. I kept hearing this rustling all night long (the space blanket) and i'd spring up thinking "who dat, who dare" lol

All in all it was a good trip.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Looks like changing the angle on the legs made a big difference. Did the stools work okay for you? Looks like a good time whether the squirrels cooperated or not.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Squirrel season just came in last week so our goal was to shoot some for dinner or lunch the next day.
    I'll pretend I didn't read that.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Squirrel season just came in last week so our goal was to shoot some for dinner or lunch the next day.

Calm down. He left out a word. He meant to say....

Squirrel season just came in last week so our goal was to shoot some [rabbit] for dinner or lunch the next day.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Looks like a good time even without any game, that's why they call it hunting. As for female friendly be careful, I went from a hammock n a tarp to a cabin! Gets expensive!

Nice to have access to a property like that. Glad you had a good time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I'll pretend I didn't read that.
    Lol Ken, I could post a thread on how to clean squirrel and cook them just for you
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Looks like changing the angle on the legs made a big difference. Did the stools work okay for you? Looks like a good time whether the squirrels cooperated or not.
    Made a big difference, I could stand on these. The third one I made was a little sloppy, I was getting tired lol

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Nice to have access to a property like that. Glad you had a good time.
    It is an awesome property, the pine forest part of it looks like I imagine parts of Oregon look like. Giant hills, giant blankets of mos, lots of ferns, and a limestone creek. I also have access to they neighbors property and permission to use his canoe to cross the river and access the state forest for another place to squirrel hunt.
    Thomas Paine

Looks like a great trip. Wish I had that much land to use.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Great pic's, and looks like a great time.

I here ya on those Mylar blankets....tried one while hunting, .....besides being really noisy,... particularly in cold weather....didn't seem to work to well, and I stuck out like a spotlight in the forest....a large contractor plastic bag actually worked better fo holding heat, and breaking the wind.

How do ya fold that blanket back up, or just toss it if frustration like I did.(was a el-cheapo)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger F View Post
    Looks like a good time even without any game, that's why they call it hunting. As for female friendly be careful, I went from a hammock n a tarp to a cabin! Gets expensive!
    Ain't that the truth......." I don't care what you come up with as long as the toilet flushes and I can take a hot shower".......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Great pic's, and looks like a great time.

I here ya on those Mylar blankets....tried one while hunting, .....besides being really noisy,... particularly in cold weather....didn't seem to work to well, and I stuck out like a spotlight in the forest....a large contractor plastic bag actually worked better fo holding heat, and breaking the wind.

How do ya fold that blanket back up, or just toss it if frustration like I did.(was a el-cheapo)

Ain't that the truth......." I don't care what you come up with as long as the toilet flushes and I can take a hot shower".......LOL
    Yeah the girls idea of roughing it is a large king suite at the Waldorf Astoria.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Yeah the girls idea of roughing it is a large king suite at the Waldorf Astoria.
    ..........with no room service......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I did not know squirrels went camping.

Trust me, I've run into a bunch on the trail and camping. There are some weird folks out there. Oh, you meant....never mind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    ..........with no room service......
    Sometimes it pays to have no room service.

About 10 years ago, I booked a long weekend at an upscale hotel in Boston that offered 24 Hour room service. I was very specific about which room I wanted, one of the three with a view of the Marketplace that had a whirlpool tub and a fireplace. When we checked in, the front desk sent us off to a room with a great view of the Big Dig on the opposite side of the hotel with a small tub and no fireplace. We returned to the front desk, and they tried to argue with me and tell me that I had NOT reserved a room with a view of the Marketplace, a whirlpool tub, and a fireplace. THAT'S when I pulled out my printed confirmation showing that I had reserved a room with a view of the Marketplace, a whirlpool tub, and a fireplace. Since those rooms were already occupied, they upgraded us to the penthouse suite, the only other accommodation with both a whirlpool tub and a fireplace, not to mention an awesome balcony and other amenities.

So we went out and returned to our suite around midnight, and I called and ordered room service. After waiting about an hour without a knock on the door, I called to inquire about the delay and was assured that our order would arrive momentarily. I placed my third call 45 minutes later and was informed that - now get this - "there was no food in the kitchen and everything was locked up for the night." I got no response when I asked how they intended to serve breakfast in four hours if they didn't have any food.

Well, I made a point of seeing the manager the next morning to tell him how disappointed I was with the crass service at the front desk and how our plans to sip champagne in the whirlpool tub in front of the fireplace had been ruined by the lack of room service.

Later that day, we enjoyed a complimentary dinner at one of the restaurants in the hotel, followed by a relaxing dip in the tub with champagne and a nice assortment of room service munchies. Our stay for the entire weekend was compliments of the manager.

Thank you, Millennium Hotels and Resorts.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark