Thread: Coconut Milk and Coconut Flour

Default Coconut Milk and Coconut Flour

I ran across these interesting recipes for Coconut Milk and Coconut Flour. I have not tried them but this is on the "to do" list. I thought I would share them anyway. The fat in coconut is pretty rich and it is loaded with saturated fat. It's a slightly different fat than found in beef for example. Coconut fat also contains a lot more palmitic acid than beef. Still, if you are on a restricted diet because of cholesterol issues then you might want to avoid Coconut Milk or Flour.

Coconut Milk

Ingredients:

• ¾ cup organic finely shredded unsweetened dried coconut (I like Tropical Tradition’s or Let’s Do OrganicGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.brands)
    • 1 ¼ cup just boiled water

1. Place coconut into the large cup of a Magic BulletGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum..
    2. Add freshly boiled, very hot water to coconut.
    3. Blend on high for 5 minutes (with the magic bullet, I blend for 45-60 seconds at a time, give the motor a few second break, and then repeat).
    4. Pour pulp into a Nut-Milk BagGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum. (or other chosen strainer) suspended over a glass bowl, mason jar, or measuring cup (have your strainer suspended over your bowl before you pour in the pulp).
    5. You can either let gravity do its thing or you can squeeze the pulp through your bag or cheesecloth to release to coconut milk (I suggest waiting for the pulp to cool a little before doing this).
    6. If not being used immediately, store coconut milk in a glass jar in the fridge (the jar is great for shaking up later).

Coconut Flour

Spread the pulp from making homemade coconut milk on a Fruit Roll SheetGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum. for about 3 minutes to grind into a fine powder for baking. The yield is about 1 cup of coconut flour per 3 cups shredded coconut used to make homemade coconut milk.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/05/f...ehydrator.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

On that same site she has an interesting recipe for Sweet Potato Flour.

Sweet Potato Flour

This flour is not like the sweet potato flour/starch that you can buy. It still has all the nutrients and fiber, rather than being a processed starch. And I’m starting to play with this alot in some recipes (and even more so with Pumpkin Flour and Carrot Flour, which are made in the same way, since these are SBIO-friendly). To make it, boil whole sweet potatoes for 30-40 minutes, until they fall off a knife when speared. Drain and let cool. Peel off the skin (it should come off very easily) and place in a bowl. Mash with a potato masher or immersion hand blender. Spread on Fruit Roll SheetGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum. for about 1 minute to grind into a fine powder for baking. The yield is about 1 cup of sweet potato flour per 6 cups mashed sweet potato (depending on the moisture content of your sweet potatoes).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My youngest step-son (late 30s) is very lactose intolerant and they use coconut milk all the time for him, ice cream, etc.

As for me, "Put the lime in the coconut ..... "; you old folks know.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Sadly....yes.

Oh great. Next you'll be telling me that she drank them both up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

She did! I thought that went without saying. You guys are really old!

Harry Nilsson 1972 for the younger crowd - google it if you're interested in what those FOGs are talking about.

'72. A vintage year indeed! They handed me a diploma, shoved me out of the high school and locked the doors. Pffft. Like I was going to try and get back in. The diploma was written in pencil. Don't know what was up with that.

I sing that song with each gin and tonic I make. Drives my kids crazy. Now since I am growing my own limes, I really hum it alot..... And Rick you are older than me! (By 1 year
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by SolarGeek
    you are older than me! (By 1 year)

That's the story of my life. Almost but not quite. Like last week some 20 something good lookin' little thing almost went home with me. She said something like, "You crazy old pervert!" So close.