Thread: Is the Gerber Gator Machete any good?

Default Is the Gerber Gator Machete any good?

At Meijer. I know, you get what you pay for. Its affordable, feels good and says it has a high carbon blade. Opinions?
    http://www.meijer.com/s/gerber-gator...ete/_/R-226001

I prefer the Tramontina. IMO it is a better machete and can be had for about half the price. I have several and use them often.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I was gifted one about 5 years ago, Not something I would buy for myself, but it has turned out to be a good machete, like crash said , there are just as good or better for the same price or Less!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

So, $20 IS a fair reasonable price to expect to pay for a good machete? I thought I was being cheap by looking at a $20 one. Name some good machetes for this price range.

I see Rockys in Flint, Mi has a Meyerco Machete for $29. Says it has a stainless blade. Isn't stainless a cheap blade?

You really should look at Tramontina. My last purchase was three for $16. I'd put them up against anything you've mentioned. Probably the most popular machete in Brazil where people depend on them to live.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just check the date on any you purchase and make sure they are recent manufacture. They should be the newer version at Meijer. The Gator Machete was recalled some time back. If you purchase it on Amazon or eBay just be wary and ask questions.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2010/...ration-Hazard/

+1 on the Tramontina.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have a gator Jr that was made after the recall. I paid less than $20. It's a decent blade. I carried it a lot last winter when I went shed hunting.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

+1 on the Tramontina.

I have a Gerber that sits next to my gun safe.

Point me to a tramontina.

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    Point me to a tramontina.
    I have not purchased any on-line, so.........

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum. https://www.google.com/#fp=b68d85d2c...ontina+machete
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I can't speak to the Gerber machetes, but I have bought Gerber pocket knives and 2 hatchets (one was stamped Gerber, one was stamped Fiskars, both are identical) and all are/were garbage.

I'll give them to my kids to play with when they're old enough, keep them away from the valuable, useful tools i buy. lol

Fiskars owns Gerber. Apparently Gerber has been targeted for counterfeit products. So much so they have a warning on their web site.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Meet-Gerbe...r-Counterfeits

I have several Gerber products that work just fine.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I like Gerber Products....and wish I could find another Touché belt buckle knife........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27