Thread: "Sun" Dried Tomatoes

Default "Sun" Dried Tomatoes

I love sun dried tomatoes and I thought there were some clever twists on this timeless classic like using garlic oil instead of olive oil. I didn't realize they could be frozen. I have refrigerated olive oil in other concoctions but never considered freezing it. Bon appetit!

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.co...-rosemary.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick,

I checked out the URL you posted! Awesome!!! I have been intimidated to try sundried tomatoes. This recipe sounds pretty good!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

dl

One point I'd make is the article talks about squashing the tomatoes. If you cut them into 1/2 inch thick slices you won't have to do that. Your drying time will go up a bit however. I set the thermostat on 140F and it takes about 11-12 hours. Tomatoes are the one item I do rotate the trays with.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I make scads of sundried (electric of course) tomatoes each year and have frozen them in olive oil each time. Then, when you take them out, after they are at room temp you can make salad dressings, pasta sauce (sundried tomato pesto YUM!), or just use on pasta, steaks, or in any dishes. Freezing keeps them nicer.

The real trick I learned to save freezer space was to use muffin tins to freeze smaller amounts. I use regular cupcake papers, put in the dried tomatoes, fill just to cover with olive oil and lay the muffin tin on a flat cookie sheet in the freezer to freeze. Next day I pop them out of the tins, put in a ziploc baggie and back into the freezer. No worries about broken jars, and the size is more manageable for 2 people. Ok hope that helps.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Would you need to add the olive oil if you are freezing them? I would think you could drop them in a zip lock and take out only the ones you need. The only reason for the olive oil is to keep them from spoiling. I guess it might keep them from getting freezer burned?

Here's some I finished last night. I used 25 lbs of tomatoes and got 5 pints.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Yes, I found that when I just froze them and then defrosted them, they were not the same texture as a sundried store-bought tomato. Adding the olive oil really keeps them perfectly.
    Also, You can use the oil to cook the dish you are making - because you froze it right away it doesn't have the tomato-y taste you would think.

When you defrost them, if you do not use them up within a week, keep them topped off with olive oil and I do keep them in the fridge.
    This is making me hungry

Does the olive oil actually freeze or become like sludge? I've had it get really cold and turn cloudy but it comes right back. I've never tried to freeze it.

I'd like to try this sometime. Thanks for the info
    "You are not good enough now, and you never will be, to not die in this sport."

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

It actually freezes.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

It does freeze but melts nicely. I have even had to nuke it when I needed it quickly and all was good. Several 10 seconds turns in the micro worked great.

Cool. Thanks both of you.