Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In YOUR OPINION...

Default In YOUR OPINION...

In a true SHTF scenario, which state would provide the best bug out location for the average prepper (figure just a well-stocked BOB, some essentials in your trunk/bed, ect, without any extra goodies - snowmobiles, generators, ect)?
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

Depends on the S that HTF I guess and what area was hit the worst. Someone might say Oregon but if the S is Mt. Ranier blowing it's top then that wouldn't be the place to be. Someone else might say Florida but if it was a hurricane you might not want to be there either.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I say Arkansas....... all 4 seasons, lakes and rivers, not overly populated, for the most part is densely wooded, minor seismic activity and no hurricanes (the flip side is they get tornadoes) or blizzards.
    "Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems"....... SO2 Ryan Job USN (SEAL)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well if it was a long term massive grid down, it is my understanding everyone on earth is dead meat. Northern Hemisphere first, then Southern. There was studies in the 50's that showed New Zealanders on the South Island had some chance.

I would choose Redding, California. or Medford, Oregon.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 08-19-2013 at 07:10 PM.

I like the upper south, lower midwest. TN, KY, WV, inner SC, North GA and AL are good too. Even southern IL wouldn't be bad if you could handle living in a communist state. Arkansas might be good too, but I've never been there. LA maybe? East Texas?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mysurvivalspot?feature=mhee
    www.mysurvivalspot.com

LOL Texas would close their boarders in such a situation and be self-sufficient!
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

The state of readiness.

In seriousness though, my own. I'm already here, my stuff is already here, the mutual support network of my local friends and family. Everybody else should bug out for somewhere though; it's kinda crowded ;D
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsiepop254 View Post
    LOL Texas would close their boarders in such a situation and be self-sufficient!
    My only negative comment about the great Republic of Texas is it gets HOTTER and I mean HOTTER than hell here which would make for miserable summers (that is coming from a guy who owns a bug out property in Texas).
    "Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems"....... SO2 Ryan Job USN (SEAL)

What makes anyone think they can jump in a truck or grab their bob and head out to some other state. Already people there. If S has truly hit the F, the natives won't take kindly to strangers. That post about Texas closing its borders - that sounds about right.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Question would be ....are you prepared to move there?.....When?...Now?...or after TSHTF?

As far a location, pro and cons everywhere, and area that are the most hospitable would be for others as well.......so might get crowded quick.

There will be others there, that already own the land, will keep out invaders, raiders, squatters......and unwanted outlaws/in-laws.
    Transportation can be a real challenge, with crowded roads, possible bridges out, wreaks, lack of fuel stops/shortages...even grid, phone, internet power to run pumps, cash register's......So where ever you are headed, best be with-in on tanks of fuel.

My plan is to stay where I'm at, which depending where I am at the time.....gives me a few options in south Wisconsin.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

For me and most scenarios, right here where I am. For the general public though, they wouldn't make it through the winter.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Well if it was a long term massive grid down, it is my understanding everyone on earth is dead meat. Northern Hemisphere first, then Southern. There was studies in the 50's that showed New Zealanders on the South Island had some chance.

I would choose Redding, California. or Medford, Oregon.
    I don't get the whole grid down thing. What is that will kill everybody? Nuclear power plants melting down?

If there was a permanent power outage and I don't see why there ever would be. Banishing man generated power just doesn't make sense as generators are easy enough to construct. Take away fossil fuels and you still have hydropower, steampower, biofuels such as ethanol. I mean alcohol distillation is fairly simple, even more so if you ain't worried about separating the heads.

Either way I'll probably just set up in an Oak Hammock and let the transplants sort themselves out if there is civil unrest.

Banned

Great question! I suspect many people ask that same question everyday. The best answer is likely to be different for each of us depending upon many different variables: the nature of the crisis, where you're starting from geographically, the resources already in your possession, your level of preparation and planning, the timing of the event, and what your capabilities are.
    It may not be possible to travel any significant distance by road, river or rail. Maybe you're a bush pilot with a small plane and that would give you more flexibility in getting where you want to go? Maybe you're a triathlete who can cover vast distances on foot? I am neither.
    My approach has been to evaluate what I felt were my strengths and weaknesses. Develop some kind of probability for the likelihood of various crisis scenarios, and then see how I could improve my situation in those scenarios I felt most likely to happen. Working down the list for greater preparedness as time and resources permit. Much of this is discussed in detail in posts, blogs, forums, and video all over the net. Allow yourself some time to determine what makes the most sense for your particular situation. Develop a game plan. Initiate the plan.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 08-19-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

If we're just talking in generalities, then JW Rawls (the author of "Patriots" and the Srvival Blog) believes the ideal state is Idaho where he has his own retreat set up and lives there. His reasons make sense but I can't see myself schlepping there from here.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I don't get the whole grid down thing. What is that will kill everybody? Nuclear power plants melting down?
    The problem is the spent fuel rods and keeping them cooled. With a massive grid down the back-up diesel generators have three to five days of fuel on site. If more fuel is not delivered the generators stop pumping and cooling. For the most part the wind flow in America is from the West, but there are also hundreds of nuclear plants in Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JZCbGLCvk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNo9wysNVPQ

AND IN TODAYS NEWS................http://www.zerohedge.com/node/477775
    Last edited by Sourdough; 08-19-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Not to mention all the wind farms, mirror farms, and all the biofuel plants. Nuclear is less than 20% of the power generated in the U.S.

Just curious, Tootsie, did you get you question answered?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Nuclear is less than 20% of the power generated in the U.S.
    If a hacker or solar flare takes down the grid in say only 14 states...............how do you cool the spent fuel rods.......???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    If we're just talking in generalities, then JW Rawls (the author of "Patriots" and the Srvival Blog) believes the ideal state is Idaho where he has his own retreat set up and lives there. His reasons make sense but I can't see myself schlepping there from here.
    I've watched some video with him and listened to a few broadcasts he's been on. His presentation is thorough and convincing. What I'm not sure he has taken into account is the type of situation Idaho finds itself in today. Massive wildfires threatening thousands of homes. If we had a crisis or event that required some kind of mass exodus, what would happen to all of these firefighting assets? The same is true for all of the mountain west. Fires happen every summer throughout the region. Losses are only kept to a minimum now because of the application of substantial resources. I doubt these resources would be available under many crisis scenarios. Fires would grow unchecked until the weather or lack of fuel ended the event. In rough mountainous terrain, fires such as this can easily move faster than a person's ability to outrun it. Something I think worthy of consideration when selecting possible BOLs.

You are making the assumption that fuel can't be provided to the generators. In any case, I think it a high unlikely scenario.