Thread: Meyer lemon/lime trees in WI!

Default Meyer lemon/lime trees in WI!

Several years ago I bought some dwarf lemon/lime trees from Home Depot knowing they were hybrids but also knowing that here with the cold WI winters, no citrus can survive outside. I got some really big containers, planted them and put them out on our then deck in Chicago and waited. Sure enougn I got enough that 1st year to keep me in gin and tonics haha. They are of course loaded with vitamin C and are now organic as the soil was replaced each year and we don't use chemicals.

Next year I bought 2 more so have 4 now. I bought them when they were 1/2 price at end of season - about $12/each. All have made it and they spend the summer outside and then I have to fully transplant them into clean bug free soil and keep them in the sunroom over winter. At this point the 1st two are fairly bushy, and about 3' tall. The newer ones are still filling in but one has 8 limes on it already at only 2' tall. Apparently they will get about 6' tall.

They still produce a lot over winter without any pollination from the bees of course and the flowers smell great.

I am going to research how to save the produce in some method next year when I will have enough at one time to maybe make lime curd or lime jam/jelly.
    For now, I no longer need to buy limes!

One thing to be aware of is since they are 'hybrid' trees, you get offshoots that are not true to the plant. They will have thorns or some odd leaves. I just clip those back each winter and the trees seem fine, even stronger.

Ok just thought I would post this as I never thought I could grow these things inside over winter and get a crop.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Wow I am amazed that they have done so well. Obviously you have taken very good care of them. With eight limes you will certainly be able to enjoy quite a few gin and tonics. LOL Wish I were there to enjoy the gin and tonic too.

Actually if this works it is certainly a great way to have plenty of vitamin C when citrus it not available. I might have to try this.

The size of the trees will be determined by the size of the pots they are planted in. They won't get bigger than their genetics will allow of course so planting them in a pot the size of Buckingham Fountain won't make them bigger but they can be controlled by keeping them in smaller pots. Generally, once a plant gets root bound it won't grow any larger.

You can salt preserve lemons and limes and they last a long time. They do turn color to a nice olive drab but the fruit is still good. Here's a recipe:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...served_lemons/

I preserved some with salt using this recipe a couple of years ago. I thought I had started a thread on it but can't find it. Anyway, here are some pictures of the lemons and oranges I did. I canned limes a week or so later.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Forgot to mention one KEY point... I started growing these to make my own Limoncello. Got the basic recipe from Giada DeLaurentis on TV but figured, heck if I can grow the produce, this stuff is tasty and cheap! I use the liqueur in cakes, as a drink, in Cosmos, and with seltzer or 7up at parties.

Rick thanks for the link on preserviing. How did they taste, really salty? or does it wash off?
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

You can't wash out all of the salt so there is some salt flavor but it wasn't bad.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.