Thread: INCH Bag Contents - Give me Tips and Suggestions

Post INCH Bag Contents - Give me Tips and Suggestions

The following is a list of the contents of my hypothetical INCH bag (meaning that I haven't purchased all of the items and thought much about weight, etc. as I am simply planning items.) I live in a rural area of the UK, towards the South coast, and am a young, fit and healthy individual with no medical conditions that I am aware of.

In the event of an emergency, this is the kit I would want to have with me in a situation where I would be leaving my home with only these items on my back or on my belt. I have deliberately chosen not to include too many items which are short-term solutions (e.g. magnesium fire starter and flint/steel instead of matches or lighters) as my intention is to live from the land using these items over the course of several years (as opposed to a 48hr kit), only replenishing resources if that is possible.

Obviously I understand that the kit is only half of the preparation- training and skills make up the other half, so I have also been learning and practising valuable skills that I feel would help me in a short or long term emergency, including first aid, knot-tying and cordage-making, shelter building and fire starting, etc.

I would really like to hear your suggestions on items of kit I have chosen, tips to minimise weight as much as possible, etc. whether the criticism is good or bad, I would like to hear it as long as it is constructive and will help me to put together a better kit.

BIVOUAC BAG
    BOOTS
    BRASS WIRE
    CLOTHING I have not gone into detail yet as to which items, however be assured that I will cover the items required for all seasons in the UK
    COMPASS
    COMPRESSION SACKS
    COTTON CLOTHS
    DRY BAG
    DUCT TAPE
    DUST MASK
    FISHING KIT
    FLANNELS
    FLASHLIGHT AND BATTERIES
    FLINT AND STEEL
    FOLDING KNIFE
    FOLDING SHOVEL
    GAITERS
    HAND AXE
    HEAVY DUTY RESEALABLE PLASTIC BAGS
    JACKET
    KARABINERS
    KNIFE/FORK/SPOON SET
    MAGNESIUM FIRE STARTER
    MEDICAL KIT
    MESS TINS
    MILLBANK BAG
    MULTI-TOOL
    NBC SUIT AND GAS MASK
    PARACHUTE CORD
    P-38/51 CAN OPENER
    SEWING KIT
    SHARPENING TOOL
    SHOELACES
    SLEEPING BAG + LINER
    SOAP
    STEEL CANTEEN AND CUP
    SURVIVAL KIT I have not gone into detail yet, which I wil at a later date, but this will be on my person at all times
    SURVIVAL KNIFE
    TARPAULIN
    TINDERBOX
    TOOTHBRUSHES
    TOOTHPASTE

You will notice that I have not included any food items - I will do this at a later date, once I have a better idea of the amount of space I will have remaining, and also because it is a short term item and will need to be replenished by what I can find to sustain myself.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-16-2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Restored OP

You need to take your bag to the field and see what works for you and what doesn't. There are dozens of threads on here about bag contents. Look through some of them to get a good idea of what most folks carry. It's clear to me you need quite a lot of training but that will come with time. I'm not at all certain what you expect to use an NBC Suit and Gas Mask for or dust mask if you intend to "live from the land using these items over the course of several years (as opposed to a 48hr kit), only replenishing resources if that is possible", which of course it is not.

Spend some time looking through the other threads then if you have questions ask away.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.

Have you figured out the weight for what you have listed so far.....?

I know you said you don't have all the items listed and hadn't thought about weight....but will be a big concern.
    Food as well.......what is available for forage, in how many seasons....
    Provisions for potable water?...filter, treatment tabs?...carrying?

Your plan is several years?

Seems a lot to hump around.

Location of wilderness?

Done any back yard camping yet?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I may be misunderstanding your goal. In your post you said:
    In the event of an emergency, this is the kit I would want to have with me in a situation where I would be leaving my home with only these items on my back or on my belt.
    but you called it your INCH (I'm Never Coming Home) bag. Maybe if you define clearly what you are really trying to accomplish we can be of more help. Your general age and experience level would also be helpful.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 5824 View Post
    BIVOUAC BAG
    BOOTS
    BRASS WIRE
    CLOTHING I have not gone into detail yet as to which items, however be assured that I will cover the items required for all seasons in the UK
    COMPASS: With no maps?
    COMPRESSION SACKS: see my recommendations below.
    COTTON CLOTHS
    DRY BAG: I recommend two; one big enough to fit your pack or roll into if need be, and one small enough to hold just the most critical keep-dry stuff inside it.
    DUCT TAPE
    DUST MASK: If it's particulates which are life-threatening, you have an NBC suit with mask on your list. If it's not, you have cotton cloths which can be dampened to filter most particulates.
    FISHING KIT
    FLANNELS
    FLASHLIGHT AND BATTERIES
    FLINT AND STEEL
    FOLDING KNIFE
    FOLDING SHOVEL: If you really need one.
    GAITERS: Not strictly necessary if you bring the right pants. You planning on trudging through a lot of snow?
    HAND AXE: Make it a light one unless you particularly need a heavy one.
    HEAVY DUTY RESEALABLE PLASTIC BAGS: You got a fixation on bags going on, but you can always use an extra ziplock or three.
    JACKET
    KARABINERS: With no rope? Or did you mean junk-hangers?
    KNIFE/FORK/SPOON SET: Handy, but a luxury.
    MAGNESIUM FIRE STARTER
    MEDICAL KIT
    MESS TINS: Use your canteen cup. You can eat from it, drink from it and cook or treat water in it.
    MILLBANK BAG: Useless. anything they'll filter out beyond what can readily be silted out in your dry bag won't hurt you with the water treated, and won't save you if it's not.
    MULTI-TOOL
    NBC SUIT AND GAS MASK: That's pretty heavy. What's the dust mask for then?
    PARACHUTE CORD
    P-38/51 CAN OPENER
    SEWING KIT
    SHARPENING TOOL
    SHOELACES: What for? You're carrying paracord.
    SLEEPING BAG + LINER: consider a bivy with an insulated liner. Two birds, one stone. Otherwise, why not just use the bag and tarp?
    SOAP
    STEEL CANTEEN AND CUP
    SURVIVAL KIT I have not gone into detail yet, which I wil at a later date, but this will be on my person at all times
    SURVIVAL KNIFE: If it's got enough mass, use it in place of a small axe. If it does not, then you're just redundant on knives.
    TARPAULIN
    TINDERBOX
    TOOTHBRUSHES
    TOOTHPASTE

You will notice that I have not included any food items - I will do this at a later date, once I have a better idea of the amount of space I will have remaining, and also because it is a short term item and will need to be replenished by what I can find to sustain myself.
    You have a lot on here. You planning on bringing a truck too? You're either got way too much stuff, or not nearly enough; depending on the scenario. Of the things on your list, consider ditching or caching anything you don't anticipate needing all the time, but remember also that most of this stuff will be easy enough to procure of replace within a few miles of anyplace on your island, emergency or no.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Reading the OP, says it was restored....does that mean the OP was deleted?......

I guess when a first post is a "Here is what I got, GIVE me tips...." Doesn't mean that they really want tips and suggestions?

So what's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Reading the OP, says it was restored....does that mean the OP was deleted?......

I guess when a first post is a "Here is what I got, GIVE me tips...." Doesn't mean that they really want tips and suggestions?

So what's up with that?
    Yep. Sounds about right. I restored the deleted post since people's responses made absolutely no sense without the OP there.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hope OP wasn't discouraged by getting the advice requested.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

That's too bad, I was trying to be serious, and civil.......I guess I was wrong......
    I guess we are all supposed to just jump in with 15 pages of atta-boys, and smilies ...and durn it all, why did I think of that!-s....and that really cool, tell us more, you must be the worlds answer on how it's done,....Oh please can't we have a couple of more tips.....

Anyway.....carry on.