Thread: What is the best way to store food in containers

Default What is the best way to store food in containers

I have been stockpiling food for months now and just got a dehydrator. Should I put the food in mason jars or food safe buckets?

I like mason jars. Have yet to have a mouse chew through one. I have had one chew through a bucket. Easier to see and access what we have also. Bad thing with a Mason jar, you can have a lot of problems when a shelf collapses.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

It depends on what you intend to store and where you intend to store it. Some foods are light sensitive so storing them in a glass jar where light can reach it can affect the appearance of the food. If you have animal issues as aflineman said the glass might be a better alternative. Beyond that it's simply a matter of size and convenience. Can you consume all the food in even a smaller food safe bucket once its opened? If not, then smaller portions in a glass jar might be more convenient and economical.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.