Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning a Trip

Banned

There use to be a place where you can rent Llamas by the week to pack your gear in. Not sure if he is there anymore.

Are you on Crown Forestry land or in a Provincial Park. You will be limited to what you want to do if your going the Provincial Park route. (you mentioned park Wardens)

At a quick glance -
    >more cordage maybe even some heavier line
    >rice/flour/spices - helps add a bit of variety to what you catch/hunt
    >small ax and/or saw
    >at least 3 ways to start fire (including something to help you if it gets real wet)
    >you stated you'll be using lake water and treating or filtering it - bring something to store it like a 5 gal collapsable jug
    >fishing gear
    >snares
    >something to entertain yourselves (cards etc. hey how about cards with wild edibles then you can make a game like using the old flash cards)

Anyway - I'm sure that more will comment - this is just my quick take.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

darn and that was one of the REASONS for going
    Life is a path that cannot be seen but must be walked

Any training tips on what I should focus on other than the obvious shelter, fire making and water craft/survival

Banned

Hygiene, water is too cold for swimming, even in august.

very true I got spoiled in texas 80 degree water from april to september

Default What to bring

Three months in the woods? I'm sure you'll be spending your days practicing what you've learned, so I would think you'd want something to write with and write on! It'd be cool to have the four of you journal about what you're learning, doing, etc., and then be able to compare them (not to mention share with others upon your return).

Also, bring something to read, and a camera. Maybe that stuff is on your list, but isn't considered "survival gear".
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

I'd have a topo map for sure and toilet paper.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

authorities in Canada frown upon people from out of the country camping for months.
    consider them vagrants, transient.....
    you may get into trouble with the law and the locals, never mind black bears.
    you can forget carring a gun around, esp. if you are not with a hunting guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    authorities in Canada frown upon people from out of the country camping for months.
    consider them vagrants, transient.....
    you may get into trouble with the law and the locals, never mind black bears.
    you can forget carring a gun around, esp. if you are not with a hunting guide.
    uh, once again, NO, smartboy, they're considered tourists and welcomed.

The gun part, yeah, you got that about right... unless you've made arrangements way ahead of time and are there for a guided hunt, I do disagree with our gooberment on that one.

Bragg, high five on your opinion of Prince George as a town, but the surrounding country, yeah, fisherman and camper's paradise.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I have called and was told by RCMP that i can get a 90 day or with special papes a 180 day camping permit, they give them all the time to campers going along the rockies or the coast, as for he firearms I already ben briefed on bear spray and bear bangers buy the people on this site and have already began to train with them so we can leave firearms out of the picture...BTW those damn things scared the heck out of me I just got back form trying one holy crap thanks for the tips and no I wasnt going to keep it an a wild west holster for all to see I am a legal concealed handgun carrier and do know about laws and how to cary them

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I hope so too, resupply is a small issue of a three mile hike from road to lake but the road is 50 miles of gravel and about 75 miles paved to the nearest town there is a ranger station at the south end of the lake max distance to rescue is 10 miles plus the rangers will have a day to day planner of my trip with contact every month unless they come checkin I will have a civil band 2 way radio but due to battery life and storage constraints only enough batteries for 3 days normal use (3 fresh batteries)
    Take rechargeable batteries and a solar charger for the two way...

Ah... crash.. you beat me to it..
    Last edited by Ridge Wolf; 03-31-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: last sentence.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I have called and was told by RCMP that i can get a 90 day or with special papes a 180 day camping permit, they give them all the time to campers going along the rockies or the coast, as for he firearms I already ben briefed on bear spray and bear bangers buy the people on this site and have already began to train with them so we can leave firearms out of the picture...BTW those damn things scared the heck out of me I just got back form trying one holy crap thanks for the tips and no I wasnt going to keep it an a wild west holster for all to see I am a legal concealed handgun carrier and do know about laws and how to cary them
    You fired a Bear Banger? LOLOL!! I got some bad azz ones that they dont make anymore. After I fire, watchout!!!

my poor dog wont come near me and I had to explain to the local police why I was shooting fireworks inside the city limits so I showed him this thread he laughed clapped me on the back and left after a "dont do it again" speech

Banned

Thats friggen funny....would have loved to see the look on your face!!!

you still can, I think it is frozen in place, my boys wont quit laughing, and my pood husky wont come out from under the bed

I have learned some very important things since joining this forum...There are people out there who know more than me and I would be wise to listen. Try new ways of doing things or considering things that I never thought of or heard, and one never...never fire a bear banger inside of your back yard in the rural side of the suburbs unless you need to start( or in my case stop) someones heart

Banned

A word of caution on the Bangers, dont carry two in the same pocket. I dont think it has a warning on the package.

I always carry a couple in my yard jacket and a couple on the tractor. They are also at the entrance at every building.

In all the years I have been here, only once I have had the same bear come back a second time using the Bangers. He is now hanging on the barn wall.

yes there is a warning both on the package, the round and at the web site explaining do not freeze, or drop...may cause premature detonation. I tell ya what I dont want one of those things going off near me. we are going out to the lake to try out the spray I got, hmm that old m-13 gas mask I have from the army might be used here

The one that doesn't work real well? The one you HOPE will stop the spray?

Oh, the boys are gonna have a party over this one. Tell them to take a video camera. We'd love to see the action, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.