Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska up the ying yang

Default Alaska up the ying yang

G'day all, Recently here in Australia we've been totally bombarded with wilderness/homesteading shows mostly set in Alaska. Shows such as Alaska: the last frontier, mountain men, Yukon men, survivor man and a few others I can't remember the names of.

I personally love them as this type of living is absolutely foreign to me having never even touched snow, I find it fascinating.

What I want to know is what the locals feel about these sort of productions, is it an accurate portrayal of life in the area or are these shows overly hyped for T.V like most reality shows?

Cheers, AD.

In this thread http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=Alaska+2013 1stimestar talks about one of the shows.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Most of them are pretty accurate. What is not that accurate is how we respond to these situations. That seems to be a focus of creating drama. We use precautions. We carry when we are in situations where bears or wolves might be. We are prepared for the situations that may come up. But we don't dwell on it. You can't live your life in a heightened state of anxiety. It's all just a part of daily life.

I had a friend who just painted his deck. He went out that evening to check on it only to find bear prints in his new paint. The next day the bear came back up on his deck. He opened the door and shot it. He took a few pictures, processed the bear and posted on Facebook that he now had some nice roasts in the freezer. One of those shows would have made a whole half hour segment, creating drama about the dangers blah blah blah. Sure he was close to being et by a bear. It really does happen up here. But to most of us, it's just a daily life thing that only warrants a picture on Facebook lol.

My friends that I go visit every year on the Yukon River was offered to be in one of those shows but they declined because the shows tend to make everyone look like scared idiots.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I like those shows because they have much less drama than Ricks favorites show, Honey Boo Boo!

Sadly, I don't even know what that is.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sadly, I don't even know what that is.
    I had to look it up. I am now concerned that Wildthang knows what a honey boo boo is.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I had to look it up. I am now concerned that Wildthang knows what a honey boo boo is.
    Crash I have only seen the commercials, but it appears to be bad, really bad

I have reached the age when I no longer know who actors are, hen's teeth are considered numerous compared to the hairs on my head, and I can no longer remember what it was I forgot to remember. I've yet to figure out how to program a VCR or why I can have over 500 channels and nothing worth watching is on. I suspect I am now officially old. The upside is I get the AARP discount at Dollar Store. (shrug).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Restaurants as well.....early bird specials...Ah, yes, you have earned the right.........LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned
    Blog Entries

RICK, Speaking of chickens, Do you know why hen do NOT pee....................................They save it for the whites of the egg.

I have reached the age when I no longer know who actors are, hen's teeth are considered numerous compared to the hairs on my head, and I can no longer remember what it was I forgot to remember. I've yet to figure out how to program a VCR or why I can have over 500 channels and nothing worth watching is on. I suspect I am now officially old. The upside is I get the AARP discount at Dollar Store. (shrug).

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Restaurants as well.....early bird specials...Ah, yes, you have earned the right.........LOL
    I do enjoy getting the Senior discount down at the steak house!

Quote Originally Posted by SD
    RICK, Speaking of chickens, Do you know why hen do NOT pee....................................They save it for the whites of the egg.

The up side is I don't have to wring it out.

I Love it...the AARP discount at the Dollar Store...oh for a Dollar Store!

Feeling sticker shock here in Girdwood....

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by thefemalesurvivalist View Post
    I Love it...the AARP discount at the Dollar Store...oh for a Dollar Store!

Feeling sticker shock here in Girdwood....
    I know! I came here most recently (10 years ago) from Oklahoma where everything is dirt cheap. I moved up with my then 2 and 5 year olds and only what I could pack in my car. I got a job, then an apartment, then took a solid year to replace things such toilet brush, plunger, broom and dust pan. Seriously, a cheap plunger that I could get for $3 down there was $12.99 up here. This was before Wal Mart moved in up here so they are cheaper now. But gads that was painful.

Thanks for the reply 1stimestar. My next question is why is it that they seem to struggle for food supplies all winter yet the majority look really well fed verging on fat?

Is that a survival technique in those parts, to bulk all summer and prepare to waste somewhat over winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinedingo View Post
    Thanks for the reply 1stimestar. My next question is why is it that they seem to struggle for food supplies all winter yet the majority look really well fed verging on fat?

Is that a survival technique in those parts, to bulk all summer and prepare to waste somewhat over winter?
    That's national passtime, and it's a year round activity. AK just seems to do it better, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinedingo View Post

I can only speak for myself and my weight lol. Keep in mind fresh fruits and veggies are very expensive here, especially in the winter. I can afford them now because I finally worked my way up in this newish job of mine. But pasta, which is cheap, is also fattening. Besides, our bodies crave high fat foods as the fat and calories help combat getting cold. Most of us gain weight in the winter from the forced inactivity. I do get out in the winter dog sledding and stuff but still, a gain of 10 lbs over winter is not unheard of. And as we know, weight comes off a lot more difficult then it goes on. I think it's also a primitive survival mechanism. If you look at Alaska Natives, they gain weight around their core, in their bellies not the butt or thighs. This is the bodys' way of insulating organs. It's also easy to let yourself go in the winter because any time you go out, you have on so many layers, no one can tell what size you really are....

Native Alaskans used to chow down on blubber and you rarely saw one that was over weight. I know generalities are dangerous but still. They must have burned 5000 calories a day to keep up their lifestyle. Add in our newer diets of high fat (different than blubber) and sugars and it changes everyone. You observation on where Inuits store fat is pretty astute. I'm sure it has become a genetic trait over the ages. Here's an interesting article that the OP might find helpful.

http://discovermagazine.com/2004/oct...x#.Ug5nrNKThMI

I can only say I'm eating stuff I used to shun simply because its left over from the buffet!

sheesh, and I sure am glad you posted that, 1stimer, about taking a year to replace the stuff you had to leave behind. I'm figuring laundry soap and coffee this week, pasta and salt next.

thankfully this apartment is fully furnished and I thought to bring shampoo and toothpaste! holy moly, partly I'm kidding, but the gal who did my pre screening said the average Alaskan pays 50 % of their income just for housing.

Happy to be here, though, its gorgeous. The view out my window is a mountain with glaciers. I think the top is getting snow as I type, even.

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

Snow in August? That would be God's way of telling you to move.