Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian in the wild, possible?

Default Vegetarian in the wild, possible?

Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian diet while out in the wild without home-brought food?
    By vegetarian, I mean no fish or any other animal meat.
    I know that it would mean a lack of protein, but are there any other ways?
    052.jpg
    Humor is one of the best ingredients of survival. // Aung San Suu Kyi

Got any wild beans in sweden ?

Having been a good while on nothing but a hunter-gatherer diet, I can say it is difficult even when you allow yourself everything in the wild. Best way for you to find out is to experiment in a safe environment.You would need a lot of oils from nuts. I think it is probably "possible." There were native tribes who were largely vegetarian. Just take care about balancing that diet and eating A LOT. Mushrooms are also an outstanding source of protein, but you had better know what your doing.
    Last edited by mountainmark; 08-13-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Sounds like a lot of research need to be done.
    As a vegetarian, you must have an idea of what you need to get your diet balanced, so the research would have to include wild versions of what you currently eat.

I would guess it would be tough, and just getting enough calories form where ever you can, is tough, particularly, in an environment where recourses are limited.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Vegetarian = Bad Hunter
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Vegetarian = Bad Hunter
    Beat me to it......but yeah...tough deal.

I would say it is depends on the resources and the competition for those resources.

With wild plants you have to apply yourself and start to learn. No one can tell you eat this, this, and this. You have to learn and then try.

Where I live we have a lot of fruits that have seeds or nuts that have high fat and protein content.

If you routinely travel in the same general area small "survival" gardens may assist you in maintaining a healthy diet. Or more likely you will make a lot of small herbivores happy So really its a win win .

Vegetarian = Bad Hunter
    Well.....I have found that carnivore= bad farmer.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

That's why I'm an omnivore. Best of both worlds!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

what about the pig farmer , guy who raises sheep , cows for beef ? . Don't think they are all bad . Farmers don't just grow veg. I have tried being a veggie , didn't work.

Vegetarian = Bad Hunter
    +2 on that.

Everyone that I have known that is or was a Vegan or a Vegetarian has eventually had serious health issues.
    Many of these issues were diagnosed as having weakened immune systems and anemia that where exacerbated by the all veggie diet and not enough "complete" protein such as meat.
    To each his own.

Personally, I'm on a sea food diet...........I see food and I eat it.

I really believe all the different diets or ways of eating are a personnel preference........But have you ever been to a party and have had someone say, "I not a vegan"....So why is it necessary to advertise it to the world?.....I don't care one way or another.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-26-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: splin'

They just didn't want you eating all the shrimp. The must have had their eye on you. It's bad manners to stick shrimp in your pants pockets. Coat pocket is okay but pants are a little iffy. You don't need Rover sniffin' you up at the party.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hmm...I think if you got hungry enough, altruistic vegetarianism goes out the window. If it's a choice between you or the squirrel, I'm betting the squirrel gets it.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I would think a vegetarian lifestyle in the wild would be possible but you'd really have to know your plants. I mean really know them. Early man lived on whatever he could scrounge and I'm sure there were some long stretches of veggie only foods.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I guess it would have to depend on what you mean by "in the wild."
    Out for a weekend or actually living off the land for a lifetime?
    Most of the Native Americans cultivated some plants, usually corn, beans and some sort of squash. Wild rice was harvestable from unpolluted waterways (I'd be semi-worried about arsenic content most places now.) Those 4 right there would keep you relatively well-nourished if you had enough of it to store through any bad weather periods you have.

You need to identify a source of Vitamin C for the winter months. In my area we have stag-horn sumac berries that can be dried. Rose hips are another good candidate.
    Chenopods (goosefoot) and plantains are good sources of vitamin A.
    Dandelions are a good source of vitamins and calcium.

Do you eat eggs?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Pine is also a great source of vitamin C.

Just remember, for you vegetarians, you're eating what my food goes doo doo on.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Well that's a crappy way to put it.