Thread: Bright Yellow Tasty Mushroom . Siberian Slippery Jack ( american version )

Default Bright Yellow Tasty Mushroom . Siberian Slippery Jack ( american version )

Suillus Americanus . The eastern counterpart to Siberian Slippery Jack
    The flavor is excellent , compare to Shaggy Mane . Book shown is North American Mushrooms by Orson K Miller . Mushroom Demystified lists the Siberian Slippery Jack as average to below average flavor wise . I think the eastern counterpart must be much better .

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I thought slippery jacks and most suillus sp were poisonous.... Don't have MD around to look it up

According to my book none of the Suillus are poison . Only a few of the Boletacae ( suillus are a sub family of Boleteacea )( Bolete family that is the pored mushrooms ) are poison and all that are have red tube mouths or stain blue . Not all that stain blue are poison however .
    Of course the Poly Pores also have pores and few are edible because of the woody nature , but no poison ones I am aware of .

Be careful with MD. Although a great book, it is old and outdated. I had it backwards, all edible, not poisonous. Boletus appendiculatus is a delicious blue stainer, but can be confused easily.

Yeah I like to stay away from look alikes . I am really really careful with the Agarics and stay far away from Amanitas altogether . I'm afraid if I needed a liver transplant they'd look at my age and overall health and say " sorry bout your luck buddy "
    BTW Im an ex Screaming Eagle myself 1968/69

Cool. Currahee brother....

Amanita calyptrata/calyptoderma are delicious. But if unsure best to stay away from...

I have always called those "chicken fat suillus," I thought the slippery jacks had a veil. We have them around here, but they really look nothing like the Chicken Fats.

Chicken Fat is good for me . The Siberian Slippery Jack handle I got from Mushrooms Demystified . My main book ignores common names a lot . So Suillus Americanus is as common as it gets for Mushrooms of North America by Orson K Miller .
    I guess he likes latin a lot .

Lol, lots of folks do. I like having it for differentiating between similar species, but wherever possible I like to use common names because that is what people will remember. Or sometimes I'll use latin to make myself sound smart (the same way most people do)

However, it can occasionally cause confusion. And there are some mushrooms I just don't know any common name for.....

Thats the same with me . The one coral mushroom I eat I have made its Latin name into a common name for me " Clavicorona " because I can always remember the crown(corona) which is how I ID it .

I see a shroom like this often so ill have to do research now that it might be edible.

All specimens I have found are under White Pine and that jives with the book . Little suckers like to hide under fallen logs etc and are hard to spot even with their bright color .