Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What I found on my cast iron fry pan hunt today

Default What I found on my cast iron fry pan hunt today

Went to a couple of thrift shops today. This is what I saw...
    1) 2 old cast iron griddles-a retangle and an oval-$35.00 each
    2) a few #7 cast iron pans for $30-$35 each
    3) a 8 inch marked with "E" for $10.00
    4) a modern griddle for $14.95

Not sure if the griddles were a fair deal.
    The #7s seemed way high.
    The 8 inch "E" almost came home but it had a black coating with, there was so much of it, I could not tell if it was a coating (modern) or if it was baked on grease (a goody).
    The modern griddle was...well, it was modern.

Soooo, what do you think?
    What names or marks should I look for?
    Do prices coincide with size?
    Is all cast iron created equal?

I know thats a lot of questions. Maybe it would just be easier for y'all to just send me a cast iron frying pan

The name to look for are Grizwold, and Wagner, and lately..... Lodge
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/1109008...Types&var=sbar

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=wagner cast iron&_fscr=1

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_59jgry5ciy_e

Condition is important, and then use is as well....collecting them or using them.

Prices you mentioned seemed high, (or I like to say, store prices, rather than flea market prices) particularly if there is no name and condition seems questionable.

If you are gonna use them, I would just buy a set of new Lodge and away you go.

Remember just because it's old and crusty, may not mean it worth a lot of money.

Some Chinese stuff has a very rough surface, and is hard to cook in/on.......I would stay away if possible.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-13-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

also check the bottom for warpage. Even the cast iron pans can warp.

A couple of the $30.00ish pans were Grizwold. Most were unmarked. I'm gonna go back and get the "E" pan tomorrow.

I found one in a dumpster not long ago and dug it out and brought it to the house. It was hard to tell it was even a skillet at all! NASTY NASTY NASTY with all kinds of burnt baked roasted NASTY all over it. I hosed her down with a can of cheapo oven cleaner and let her soak for a couple hours. Then took a scraper and got off a layer and did the oven cleaner again. Repeat, repeat, repeat. When I was done (which really didn't take as much time as it sounds, lots of just letting it soak) I had me what looked like a brand spankin new Lodge skillet. Priced one at the store and it was $45 and change. Not bad for free outta the garbage and a can of oven cleaner.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Haven't been in a dumpster in a long time. Aaaahhh...memories.

The 10" skillets go for around $15 (asian ones go for $10, US go for $15-$20) here at the recycle store, one or two treatments to get them back to snuff. Personally I am on the hunt for a 4 quart dutch oven, dont really wanna pay new price so I keep checking yard sales etc but they are a hard to find item.

Hunter is right with the Chinese stuff, not any good to cook with. Look for Made in USA. The others make pretty decent anchors.

Lately it seems that some of the Chinese, looks OK, so I am assuming they are getting better at it.......

Point is, if you are gonna use it,..... look for something that is straight as randyt mentioned, cooking service smooth, or at least mostly smooth, and at the right price.

A lot of cast are isn't marked anywhere....so you don't really know what you have, but will cook just fine.

Brand names are more antiques, collectors items, priced accordingly, and mostly just bragged about, name dropped....... not used.

I use mine, and am not above cooking with a $15 dollar Griswold, but most likely wouldn't use a $100 Griswold...........It's about find that treasure... cheap.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-14-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Around here, it's hard to find a good deal on old cast iron. It's often cheaper to just buy new Lodge cast iron from Walmart.

The last time I looked, you could get a 10" Lodge skillet at Walmart for $15 and some change.
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 08-14-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    Went to a couple of thrift shops today. This is what I saw...
    1) 2 old cast iron griddles-a retangle and an oval-$35.00 each
    ... Not sure if the griddles were a fair deal.
    If that rectangular griddle was the standard 20"x10" (+/- an inch), and is either a Wagner, Griswold, or Lodge, or even some of the older USA cast iron company griddles, you would be well off to grab it for $35.00.

As far as names and marks, not all cast iron, even from Griswold, Lodge, and Wagner, has the name on the bottom. For example, I have a very old (an "oldie but goldie") Wagner griddle, standard size, but there is no name on the bottom. It is, however marked with a raised "8" which is about one inch long, and to the side about two inches, the letter "A" which is about 1/2 inch long. This is a Wagner factory mark.

I've had this griddle for years and used it extensively, not only in camp, but often at home on top of the stove. I would certainly not take $35.00 for mine.

Let us know what are the marks on the griddles. What is the diameter of the oval griddle??

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 08-14-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Correct typo.

this site May Help In your Serch for Real Good Cast Iron
    http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/inf...os/repros.html
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.

Went back and picked up the "E" pan today. The inside is VERY smooth. On the bottom it says "8 inch cast iron skillet E". On the top side of the handle is "5". Paid $10. It was covered with a hard black residue. I heated it to 300 degrees and oven-offed it probably 4 times. Some of the stuff came off but there is still a lot on the outside. Started using a stiff wire brush in the drill motor. I see you can scratch them so I am avoiding that for now.
    Will the "hot coal" method work better? A alos baked it to 600 degrees and the stuff is still stuck pretty good. Whats up?

I also picked up a 12 in Emeril round griddle. I think this is a modern one, right? But it is very heavy so I figured for $10 what the heck. Was black crusted too but cleaned up pretty well. The cooking surface is rough. You can tell its newer because not as much care was taken in forming the handle which is slightly non-uniform. But it will make some great bacon. No markings except for "Emeril" on the bottom.

Toss in a bed of hardwood coals and leave them overnite. Then, season them.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    It was covered with a hard black residue. I heated it to 300 degrees and oven-offed it probably 4 times. Some of the stuff came off but there is still a lot on the outside. Started using a stiff wire brush in the drill motor. I see you can scratch them so I am avoiding that for now.
    Will the "hot coal" method work better? A alos baked it to 600 degrees and the stuff is still stuck pretty good. Whats up?

I also picked up a 12 in Emeril round griddle. I think this is a modern one, right? But it is very heavy so I figured for $10 what the heck. Was black crusted too but cleaned up pretty well. The cooking surface is rough. You can tell its newer because not as much care was taken in forming the handle which is slightly non-uniform. But it will make some great bacon. No markings except for "Emeril" on the bottom.
    I do believe that you have chemically and mechanically removed a lifetime of "non-stick" from your new pan. You may have ruined it by using oven cleaner on it. Oven cleaner is not a good idea - it is not healthy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have some of the blackest cast iron you've ever seen. A couple that my mom used extensively for decades and one that my grandmother handed down to mom. Stuff wouldn't dare stick in it. I don't understand removing all the black. As Crash said, that's years of great use. As long as it's clean and not rusty enjoy it. Black is fine.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I do believe that you have chemically and mechanically removed a lifetime of "non-stick" from your new pan. You may have ruined it by using oven cleaner on it. Oven cleaner is not a good idea - it is not healthy.
    Nah, he'll be fine with it. Last really super bad one I got out of a dumpster I soaked that dude down with cheap oven cleaner to get all the nasty off of it and brought it back to brand new. Of course I know what you are saying about the good gunk and not taking that off but with some you just gotta take it back down to square one and bring it back up. About like stripping and old car back down to the bare metal, it should be avoided if at all possible to save the good base that is on there but there are times that you are still better off starting from scratch even if it is more work.

First off, I'm learning. That black stuff ain't metal, so it ain't ruining the pan by removing it. If granny could put a non-stick coating on it then I can to. Good non-stick or bad non-stick, I don't want a pan with hard drippy black crude caked on the outside and I don't want blotchy here-a-little there-a-little black blotches on the inside. And if I didn't put that crude on the pan then how do I know whats mingled in with it. NO THANKS!
    I'll hot coal it next day off.

Ive had one sandblasted before...its my 2nd best pan now. I recently gof one that needs a good cleaning, iys gooey and full of glitter. I think ill heat it up hot, scrub it will steel wool and dry well then heat the stove coat in oil and burn it up.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel