Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Big Honkin' Rabbit - For Those That Raise Them

PHTO0079.jpgPHTO0079.jpgPHTO0037.jpg I've also raised hundreds of rabbits and some of them DID get to 20 lbs. I guess I'm just better at raising rabbits than some OTHER people.

Quote Originally Posted by MaveRick View Post
    PHTO0079.jpgPHTO0079.jpgPHTO0037.jpg I've also raised hundreds of rabbits and some of them DID get to 20 lbs. I guess I'm just better at raising rabbits than some OTHER people.
    I seriously doubt that you are better at raising them than I,I have had grand champions at fairs throughout Indiana and Kentucky,due mostly because my rabbits followed breed confirmation and type,both very important when showing rabbits. 10-12 lbs is breed average for this breed,a 20 lb new zealand is either mixed with another breed or pretty old and sits in a cage day in and day out eating a high fat diet. They certainly are NOT the norm. Nice looking rabbits in the photos by the way.

http://voices.yahoo.com/new-zealand-...853.html?cat=4
    Last edited by nell67; 08-11-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: adding link
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    I seriously doubt that you are better at raising them than I,I have had grand champions at fairs throughout Indiana and Kentucky,due mostly because my rabbit were of correct confirmation, AND more importantly followed breed confirmation and type,both very important when showing rabbits. 10-12 lbs is breed average for this breed,a 20 lb new zealand is either mixed with another breed or pretty old and sits in a cage day in and day out eating a high fat diet. They certainly are NOT the norm. Nice looking rabbits in the photos by the way.
    It's not a competition, I didn't really care enough to read the whole topic so I have no clue what's going on, but it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    200 breeding females. Ahhhh. Ahem. Yes, big boned rabbits. They certainly are.
    Yes Rick, 200 breeding females,it is how I put meat on the table when my ex was going through the disability process,rabbits and chickens,and when we were lucky the occasional deer. Raising rabbits has always been a passion of mine, and having that many breeders put food on the table,I sold many for meat and the very best sold as show bunnies. Selling bunnies always more than paid for the feed. I hate that I don't have any now,but as soon as I am over my own disabilities, I will be raising again. In the mean time,I am studying organics as a way to feed them without putting the feed store crap in the animals I will raise from here on out.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by CivilSurvivor View Post
    It's not a competition, I didn't really care enough to read the whole topic so I have no clue what's going on, but it doesn't matter.
    You are correct,it is NOT a competition,but after raising rabbits for well over 30 years, I do know rabbits.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Yeah, I was thinking of female rabbits. I was too!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of female rabbits. I was too!
    Haha,yea,you were,LOL I beLIEve you. Honest!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    You are correct,it is NOT a competition,but after raising rabbits for well over 30 years, I do know rabbits.
    Nice. I have almost no experience with rabbits, I've only raised 4, the best weight being 11 lbs. :/

Quote Originally Posted by CivilSurvivor View Post
    Nice. I have almost no experience with rabbits, I've only raised 4, the best weight being 11 lbs. :/
    Which is an average weight for a meat type rabbit. Meat breeds at full growth weigh in the 8-12 lb range. The giant breeds like the Flemish are more bone weight than meat,and are awkward for most folks to handle. They still are good to eat,you just really are not getting much more meat to consume,plus they take longer to mature to breeding so they are not a very economical rabbit. They consume much more than the average rabbit as well.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)