Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Get Home Bags?

A word of caution on the empty milk jug. Even though you clean it very well, there can still be some small bits of milk solids left over that will taint the contents. I would recommend not using a container that held dairy products.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

+1 on the milk jugs. Femalesurvivalist (I think) mentioned 1 liter soda bottles in another thread. Always a good option, plentiful and cheap.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Why chose large containers over small?

Hey guys, just out of curiosity and I might have missed it in the thread but why do you prefer large jugs over 500ml or 1l bottles? I find them a little more useful for get home scenario personally. I have a video of what i carry with me in my car kit. The case of water isn't shown but I keep a 12 bottle pack not only for get home bag but also saves me a ton of money in the summer. Love to hear your opinions on my get home kit! Here's the link to my video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSQyHeupkNQ

thanks all!

Everyone has individual requirements. No one method will fit everyone. I have a 2 quart canteen in each of the vehicles and usually have some small bottled waters. Purchasing bottle water won't save you any money. It's more expensive per volume than gasoline. If you reuse the bottles then it might.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Miz Winnie, ma'am,
    What tool are you referring to when you listed Escape tool?

Blog Entries

My apologies Mr. J. The escape tool to which I am referring is a small pry tool like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roughneck-...item589c28978d

When I travel, it is by public transport, so this little widget will hopefully pry open the doors.
    Last edited by Winnie; 10-22-2013 at 04:10 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

That's like a Mini Wonder bar....keep at least one in all vehicles,.....but I do have one of thos small one....good idea for a bag tool.....Hummmm
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Don't have a get home bag yet, but I should probably make one up. Got some good ideas now after reading this post, too bad I missed the troll, looks like you guys had a good time with this one. LOL.

Here is mine, hope you like it!

Banned

As you work 60 miles from Home I am sure you realize it could easily take you a week to get home. Most people struggle to walk 10 miles a day and in the event of something really dire happening it could take you a week or more going cross country if you have to avoid main roads.
    Taking a week to get home would place you at a severe disadvantage if you (and your Family) would be planning to Bug out from your Home especially if the timing for your departure was critical.
    May I suggest you consider a folding bicycle to keep in the back of your car along with you bag, then at worst you could be home within 1 to 3 days. Maybe you couldn't cycle 60 miles in one day but you could certainly make it in three days even cross country.
    Just a thought.
    BTW don't forget a good map of your route and a compass for cross country directions. Also, a means to defend yourself if you had to.
    In a serious situation there is always someone who thinks they deserve what you have more than you do so stay off main roads.
    Last edited by Kudos; 01-01-2014 at 10:37 PM.

BTW don't forget a good map of your route and a compass for cross country directions. Also, a means to defend yourself if you had to.
    I see a pistol right next to the ax and the knives.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness