Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Home Bags?

Default Get Home Bags?

I'm just throwing this out there. I looked for any posts about GHB's and didn't see any (or maybe just overlooked them), but wondered if any of you guys carried one and what you carry. I work about 60 miles from home and my main priority, should something happen, would be getting home to the family. Should I just make a scaled down Mini-BOB or look at it more from an EDC viewpoint with a few added items? Any advice?? Here's what I currently carry on a daily basis...

Maxpedition Falcon II

Small Condor Pouch:
    American Medical PSK (I thought it would be a good starting point)
    Wire Saw
    Bic Lighter
    Magnesium fire starter
    Water Purification Tabs

Poncho
    SOG Seal Pup
    Leatherman Wave
    First Aid Kit
    Flashlight
    Cliff Bars/Gatorade packets
    32 oz. Nalgene bottle

We've had a lot of discussion on Get Home Bags but most of it is buried in other threads. I'm not sure one has been started specially for it so it's a good post.

I have a pack that resembles any non-military backpack
    Knives
    water purification
    first aid kit
    water
    food
    flashlights
    fire starting
    plastic sheeting
    multi-tool
    Canteen cup
    Esbit stove and cubes

Of course to that I'd add my EDC, road flares and cell phone. As well as any other tools I keep in my vehicles depending on the situation and time of year. Lot's there to choose from.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Your post got me thinking on this a bit. I think your list is certainly a good start, and perhaps all that you would need should the situation ever arise. If you're trying to cover 60 miles on foot, and your in reasonably good health, it may only take you 2 or 3 days. If your some kind of superhuman triathlete you might cover that same distance in less than 2 full days. What's the weather like? What's the nature of the emergency? These should help you prepare for the most likely scenarios. If you're in my demographic, than 60 miles is more likely to require somewhere between 3 and 5 days depending upon the terrain and the season. What kind of water sources are available along your intended and back-up routes? Do you have at least two methods to treat that water? Will exposure present an issue? For me fire-starting wouldn't be much of a priority unless it was the dead of winter. If it is summer and you're hiking through the extreme heat perhaps having a good headlamp with enough batteries to cover most of the distance at night would make more sense. Be sure to take a look at your first aid supplies to insure you have the basics covered for typical hiking related injuries....blisters, scrapes, aches...etc. Your GHB is dependent on your situation. And that can change for any number of reasons. It is a get home bag so I would keep it simple and adjust the contents as the seasons dictate in your area.

I carry a GHB, its set up like a BOB, I have enough gear for 48 hours in the field. I am usually never further than 4 to 6 hours away by foot. but things happen so I plan for longest possible stay in the field.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention. Cast-Iron jogged my memory on alternate routes. I also carry a complete set of maps in my vehicles. I have section of the country, state, county and local maps as well as state rail route and state power line maps, topo maps and a county atlas. That's in each vehicle. So even if highway is not a good route I still can rely on rail and powerline to keep me moving in the right direction. Just a thought.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, I live in Mississippi so the weathers always hot, humid, and sticky. So I think the water situation definitely needs to be concidered further. Also hadn't thought about the maps. I keep a highway map with me, but I haven't thought of rail lines, powerlines, and such. It may be a good thing that I work for the Dept. of Transportation and have access to some of that. Thanks for the input though, it gives me a few more things to think about.

Rick, good point.

One traffic jamb can make a big difference......as well as river and such on alternatives.....good thing rail roads have bridges..
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Rick, good point.

One traffic jamb can make a big difference......as well as river and such on alternatives.....good thing rail roads have bridges..
    Dont know if I want to be walking on a railroad bridge and see a train coming. The few around here are just a little wider than the train.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Just be a little narrower. Easy peasy.

So is the thinking that the purpose of a GHB means that you are caught in a situation where something has happened so fast that driving back home is not going to be an option and now we are going to "make our way back" by the best means possible? and so the GHB is supposed to the "grab it out of the vehicle and go bag?"

I can't speak for others but my bag can be used for that or if I find myself stranded overnight I have the resources to make it safe and comfortable. Either way.

I would think any GHB has to be mobile independent of the vehicle. It should also be something that can be reached and taken if you had to ditch the vehicle in a hurry.

There are places I go that don't have much traffic. I don't have 4 wheel drive in my truck. So, I have to park in the road and walk the last mile and a half to the gate of one STA I have hunted in. If I got stuck or broke down in a late hunt and every other hunter is gone I would have to wait for my wife to call FWC and them to send someone to get me.

What happens when a missing hunter goes way down on the priority list? I would have to wait the work week for help under normal conditions. If the normal was disrupted how long? Your GHB may just have to get you to the nearest town or farm houses.

What happens if IT IS a SHTF situation? Trespassing to a farmers house might not be the brightest of choices.

Hmm. Maybe a white flag needs to go in the kit. Be right back.

Traveling at night with a big bright headlamp needs to be considered too, depending on the situation. We used to play flashlight tag out in the back woods at night when I was a kid. Never failed that a neighbor would get wigged out by the lights in the woods and call the cops. If the moon is good, you'd be surprised how well lit the woods are at night without a light.

I keep a GHB in my truck cuz I work 50 miles from home. It would take me 3 to 5 days to get back depending on season. It's just a small, non-descript, nonmilitary pack with a hydration bladder in it and the usual first aid, overnight bivy, water purification tabs, powdered electrolyte and about 3 days of dehydrated stuff to eat. Weighs about 8lbs without water in it. I keep bottled water in the truck too. Plus, there is a change of clothes, tooth brush/paste, razor and soap just in case it becomes the stay-overnight snowstorm bag. (I wish I could say stay-overnight got-lucky bag....)
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

You could. Of course, Mrs. Lowkey might then consider it a "got real unlucky real quick" bag. She might even consider it a "You dirty @#$# @@$ @@!#$. Enjoy your last breath bag".

CEB13512536183187E11C34FE463.jpg
    so what;s in your bag????
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

Quote Originally Posted by Canoetripper View Post
    CEB13512536183187E11C34FE463.jpg
    so what;s in your bag????
    Looks like a bad case of "one more thing-ites"....keep put thing in till you can carry it, then start a new bag......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Always have a survival bag in my truck. Items to stay out for 72 hours. Regular size back pack, weighs appox. 15 pounds. Includes first aid supplies, extra ammo, fishing line, snares, food, extra change of clothes, knife, 3 ways to light a fire, tinder, etc.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I'm wondering how many of you have included items in your get home bag to encompass your spouse and or children? I have items in my wife's van specifically for me (boots for example) along with her items. She has a get home bag but there is also a large bag in the back that would cover both of us and grand kids if we were faced with the unlikely prospect of being stuck in a vehicle. Likewise, there are items in my truck for her and the grand kids. I too have my get home bag along with a large bag that includes their items.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm wondering how many of you have included items in your get home bag to encompass your spouse and or children? I have items in my wife's van specifically for me (boots for example) along with her items. She has a get home bag but there is also a large bag in the back that would cover both of us and grand kids if we were faced with the unlikely prospect of being stuck in a vehicle. Likewise, there are items in my truck for her and the grand kids. I too have my get home bag along with a large bag that includes their items.
    Rick I carry my bag in my vehicle all the time. We built a bag for my wife several years ago and she carries it in her vehicle. We just throw my bag in her vehicle or her bag in mine. She also carries a second kit that is kind of a "in case" bag for the grand kids...even though they are all now pretty "grown up" (youngest of the seven is now 10) mostly extra food, a couple of hoodies, a couple of extra space blankets, a extra box or two of tampons (6 girls) granola bars, protein bars and three more liters of water. Then if they are with us we have a start and an extra pack to use if we need to leave the vehicles. A couple of the kids already have their SDA cards (Oklahoma calls it a Self Defense Act card NOT a CCW) and so I have pack some of their ammo also. We try and be pretty diligent about encouraging them to use a good pack instead of luggage bags (Christmas presents) It is an inside joke with all of our kids. They all tease my wife and I about being "preppers" now that that stupid show is on. They all love to camp so it is a simple thing to tie "being prepared" into thinking that way even when you are not out camping. Talking about what ifs and stuff like that.
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 08-31-2013 at 04:45 PM.