Thread: Pin cherries

Default Pin cherries

Looks like there is going to be a bumper crop of pin cherries this season. Ya know those tiny berries with the great big pit. Any thoughts on harvesting, preparing and putting up for later?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

From what I could find in several books on fruit prep that my wife has here(she's a jam and jelly nut) they are handled very much like regular sour cherries. They can be juiced for jellies, wine or surup. Also used whole for jellies. As far as storing, it looks like you can freeze either the juice(also can if you prefer) or the whole berry after pitting. We have a pitter here but due to their small size not sure how it would work on these little guys. Hope this helps.

Oldtrap

Btw. The wife said to tell you that if you freeze the cherries whole to spread them on a cookie sheet after pitting. Then put em in the freezer till solid. After that put them in freezer bags for long term storage. She says that this way they don't become just a mushy mess when they are thawed.
    Last edited by oldtrap59; 08-02-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Thanks for the info, Somehow this thread slipped past me until today.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by OT
    The wife said to tell you that if you freeze the cherries whole to spread them on a cookie sheet after pitting. Then put em in the freezer till solid.

That's good advice for most berries too. I freeze my blackberries and raspberries on a cookie sheet then transfer them to a bag. It also let's you take out only the amount you want or need instead of having a giant berry iceball.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's good advice for most berries too. I freeze my blackberries and raspberries on a cookie sheet then transfer them to a bag. It also let's you take out only the amount you want or need instead of having a giant berry iceball. [/COLOR]
    +1 on that advice...works great for berries and I have done green beans the same way.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE