Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Myself a New Toy...

Default Got Myself a New Toy...

I went into Smokey Mountain Knifeworks to get myself a new Mora and maybe a new pocket knife and then this shiny beauty caught my eye...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

It all started so innocent, i asked the lady behind the counter if i could see it and then one thing led to another and before i knew it i said sold. I could of bought about 5 moras for what i gave for this but IMO its worth every penny. This thing hasn't left my sight sight since i walked out of the store.

Oh ya, it's a Helle Harding made in Norway with a Scandinavian grind, i've done a little whittling with it and it's still just as razor sharp as it was when i bought it.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh pretty.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Good looking knife.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I'm a sucker for "love at first sight" stories.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Very cool knife.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Helle are good knives in my book and that one is a beauty.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hey Sparky, we do not hear much from you these day. Glad to know you are still around. Oh, and that knife is awesome.

Nice, nice, blade. I am not a nice collector or afficionado, and I'm not skilled or careful enough with my knives to invest in a really beautiful or custom knife, so I have always gone with inexpensive folders, and for fixed-blade knives I've been very well-served by my trusty (cheap) Mora Companion. But still, I can`t help but look at great quality knives on display in outdoors stores.

I just recently won a new knife in a YouTube giveaway contest because of a video I made. It's my first carbon steel knife (the Mora HQ Robust) and I fear I may be on my way to becoming a blade junkie.

Congrats on your purchase...resist the urge to become a blade junkie! Hammock gear is addictive enough!

Oh and +1 on the Scandi grind. They are the only blades I can sharpen reasonably well.

Cheers,
    - Martin
    Last edited by PineMartyn; 08-01-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

That's a nice knife. How did you like the knifeworks? I use to visit the place a couple times a year. The coleman store was next door and there was a cast iron cookware store nearby as well.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    That's a nice knife. How did you like the knifeworks? I use to visit the place a couple times a year. The coleman store was next door and there was a cast iron cookware store nearby as well.
    There is so much stuff there I don't think I saw a 64th of it lol I'm going back tomorrow to look around some more though.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Nice knife.I've been curious about Helle knives for a while especially that Harding knife in the picture.Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckman95 View Post
    Nice knife.I've been curious about Helle knives for a while especially that Harding knife in the picture.Very nice.
    In comparison to a Mora classic, IMO the Helle handle feels much better in your hand, I carved some pretty hard wood with it and it still has an awesome edge which has led me to believe it might hold an edge a little better than a Mora. You can do all the same things with a Mora as you can with this helle just as well but I enjoy using tools that are a thing of beauty, they inspire me to get out and use them more often.

*Note that I am comparing this to the Mora classic, I've never handled any of the Mora's with the plastic handles to know how they feel in the hand.
    Last edited by Sparky93; 08-02-2013 at 01:14 AM.
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    In comparison to a Mora classic, IMO the Helle handle feels much better in your hand, I carved some pretty hard wood with it and it still has an awesome edge which has led me to believe it might hold an edge a little better than a Mora. You can do all the same things with a Mora as you can with this helle just as well but I enjoy using tools that are a thing of beauty, they inspire me to get out and use them more often.

*Note that I am comparing this to the Mora classic, I've never handled any of the Mora's with the plastic handles to know how they feel in the hand.

That's cool.Thank you for the information.

If anyone is interested you can get the Hella blades from www.knifemaking.com and play with adding handles yourself. I noticed them when I was in there store the other day.

http://www.knifemaking.com/SearchRes...p?Search=hella
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Default I did it again...

Went back into knife works and I got sucked in by another shiny toy... I have A.D.O.S. (attention deficit OOOH SHINY!...)

I give you the trifecta, my most precious tools.

IMG_20130803_172225_035.jpg

My Crashblade I was gifted by my grandpa a couple years ago for Christmas.

The Helle Harding shown earlier.

And the very latest addition a Wetterlings Forest axe. I used the axe for a bit this afternoon clearing out some brush and trees next to my grandmas house she wanted removed. The Wetterlings made quick work of it taking out trees 1" up to 9" in diameter with ease. I couldn't be happier with it.
    Thomas Paine

Beautiful knife. I am the same way when it comes to browsing for guns or knives. Once something catches my eye, it ends up coming home with me.

Very nice! I have one Helle that belonged to my dad. Beautiful knives, those Helles.

Nice knife. I'm a firm believer in the adage; "Life is too short to carry an ugly knife."
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

That doesn't apply to women though. It's best to marry an ugly woman. She won't ever leave you and even if she does you haven't lost anything. Oops. Gotta go. Wife's coming.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

good buy , those are excellent knives