Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: **** this, I'm out.

There's no way of telling where that needle came from. It could have been a drug addict, diabetic, hazardous waste from a hospital etc...
    Also, if it was a needle from a drug addict, why would he throw it away? If I was shooting dope, I would keep the needle, why toss it and then have to procure another? Additionally, if it was washed up on the beach, it probably was at least several days old, maybe even older, and so, whatever MAY have been in the hypodermic would probably have deteriorated by this point and no longer pose a threat. Lastly, unless the needle stuck in far enough to draw blood or hit a main artery/vein, the contents of said needle, most likely, did not enter the bloodstream.

Drug addicts typically would not want to get caught with the needle after they had used up their drug. The go to jail for paraphernalia and a cop is going to get pissed, and rightly so, if he has to find the used needle. Imagine what might happen if the cop gets stuck with a used needle.

That's a good point I didn't think of that (not sure how clearly a druggie thinks though). But still, the chances of getting stuck deep enough by a needle to become infected with whatever (HIV, hepatitis blah blah blah) are probably not that great. The outermost layer of skin receives its blood supply via extremely small capillaries so I'm doubtful that a small pinprick to the epidermis would serve as a gateway for serious diseases to enter the body. Staph or similar bacterial infection maybe, but not AIDS or other blood borne pathogens.

Another thing that, as far as I know, no one has mentioned, is that NOT EVERY needle user has freakin AIDS!

Quote Originally Posted by MaveRick View Post
    I strongly agree with Sarge ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS thoroughly check the area before sleeping on the ground. I have never found a used needle but I can't tell you how many tines I have found broken glass! I use the trowel I use for digging my latrine to scrape and poke my sleeping area to see what I turn up. Even when I use my pocket hammock I still check the the ground below in case I fall out of the hammock.
    When making a debris hut you really sift through the pine needles and such with a fine tooth comb?

The chances of getting anything from it are extremely low, which is why I've been kind of laughing about it. So many things in my favor of not getting it. But no idea what you mean it has to hit a main vessel to transmit it......

.... And like I said, rolled around on it. Pretty sure it went passed the epidermis...

Quote Originally Posted by mh89 View Post
    That's a good point I didn't think of that (not sure how clearly a druggie thinks though). But still, the chances of getting stuck deep enough by a needle to become infected with whatever (HIV, hepatitis blah blah blah) are probably not that great. The outermost layer of skin receives its blood supply via extremely small capillaries so I'm doubtful that a small pinprick to the epidermis would serve as a gateway for serious diseases to enter the body. Staph or similar bacterial infection maybe, but not AIDS or other blood borne pathogens.

Another thing that, as far as I know, no one has mentioned, is that NOT EVERY needle user has freakin AIDS!
    If the risk was so small from a "prick" of a needle,then WHY do medical personnel get tested for aids (several times) after accidental sticks with a needle, even if it is a needle they themselves just administered medication to a patient with? And no one said that EVERY needle user has aids,but if it were YOU, would you not want to make sure,I mean after all on the chance that they WERE infected, and you could take something that intentionally would stop you from contracting,would you not want to know??
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

where and how did you came up with the information to substantiate this statement,
    But still, the chances of getting stuck deep enough by a needle to become infected with whatever (HIV, hepatitis blah blah blah) are probably not that great. The outermost layer of skin receives its blood supply via extremely small capillaries so I'm doubtful that a small pinprick to the epidermis would serve as a gateway for serious diseases to enter the bo
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Didn't look anything up. I know that ultraviolet radiation kills free radicals, so I believe it's safe to assume that a needle, or any other item exposed to UV rays for a period of time, would be relatively "disinfected". Sure, in a lab setting, it's possible to cultivate bacteria/viruses on any surface so long as they are kept in a controlled setting and the environment is ideal for their development.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/transmission.htm
    http://avi.org/faq#needle

Didn't look anything up before I posted, but since you asked, I googled and found a source to substantiate my claim.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    The chances of getting anything from it are extremely low, which is why I've been kind of laughing about it. So many things in my favor of not getting it. But no idea what you mean it has to hit a main vessel to transmit it......

.... And like I said, rolled around on it. Pretty sure it went passed the epidermis...
    I know dude, I'm not trying to diminish the seriousness of your situation or piss anybody off. I was just throwing my 2 cents in.

1. You have no idea how long "long" is. 2. The whole point of being stuck is you don't know if it contained anything or not. Are you willing to roll the dice with your life? I'm sure not and I'd hope no one would be either.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    1. You have no idea how long "long" is. 2. The whole point of being stuck is you don't know if it contained anything or not. Are you willing to roll the dice with your life? I'm sure not and I'd hope no one would be either.
    No sir, not me! My MO would be, get tested first, ax questions later.

Didn't look anything up. I know that ultraviolet radiation kills free radicals, so I believe it's safe to assume that a needle, or any other item exposed to UV rays for a period of time, would be relatively "disinfected". Sure, in a lab setting, it's possible to cultivate bacteria/viruses on any surface so long as they are kept in a controlled setting and the environment is ideal for their development.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/transmission.htm
    http://avi.org/faq#needle

Didn't look anything up before I posted, but since you asked, I googled and found a source to substantiate my claim.
    There is a ton of info on the web about Bloodborne pathogens unfortunately none of it is standardised, I asked about info to substantiate your statement because , Hep A,B,and C, can live out of the both for several days to much longer, HIV can live in dried blood in room temps for several days. All of these infections can be transmitted thru blood or fluid contact to a cut or sore on your skin, as well as fluid splatted in the eyes. So a prick from a needle if in the right time frame can pose a serious risk for infection, even if it isn't deep a SQ introduction of a live virus is enough.
    I recommend anyone interested in personal protection from bloodborne pathogens , take a class at your local red cross or other such organization. its well worth the time and expense , even for non medical persons.
    I wasn't trying to call you out , I was curious of your source was all.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

It's all good. I agree that it is still risky and definitely worth a visit to the doc but if the CDC says it's not very likely to contract such a thing from an accidental needle prick, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's also unfortunate, as you mentioned, that much of the info available isn't standardized.

I recommend anyone interested in personal protection from bloodborne pathogens , take a class at your local red cross or other such organization.
    Something I've been meaning to do for quite a while now! Just seems to fall by the wayside for some reason.

It's all good. I agree that it is still risky and definitely worth a visit to the doc but if the CDC says it's not very likely to contract such a thing from an accidental needle prick, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's also unfortunate, as you mentioned, that much of the info available isn't standardized.

Something I've been meaning to do for quite a while now! Just seems to fall by the wayside for some reason.
    Could you please show me were the CDC says a needle stick isn't an issue. I see it mentioned in the other link But i couldnt find that on the CDC site

Didn't say it wasn't an issue, said it was unlikely to be the cause of infection.

If you click the CDC link I posted and then click on the "Have people been infected with HIV from being stuck by needles in non-health care settings?" link, it should come up. In case the link doesn't work i'll copy and paste it.

Needle-stick injuries can transfer blood and blood-borne pathogens (e.g., hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and HIV), but the risk of transmission is extremely low and there are no documented cases of transmission outside of a health care setting.

Doctor: "Rick, congratulations, you are the first documented case of anyone contracting hepatitis B, hepatitis C, AND HIV from a needle stick outside of a health care setting. That's like winning the lottery."
    Rick: "Uh, thanks?"
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Didn't say it wasn't an issue, said it was unlikely to be the cause of infection.

If you click the CDC link I posted and then click on the "Have people been infected with HIV from being stuck by needles in non-health care settings?" link, it should come up. In case the link doesn't work i'll copy and paste it.
    Be that as it may, why take a chance...ANY chance? For people who have contingencies on their contingencies, and plans B, C, D & F, (in other words, not gambling that everything will turn out fine) taking this lightly doesn't make sense.

Thanks to all the google-ing this is the ad that shows at the top of the webpage now lol.

Same Day STD Testing
    STDTestExpress.comFast, Private, Affordable Testing. 4,000+ Lab Locations Nationwide.

Thanks to all the google-ing this is the ad that shows at the top of the webpage now lol.
    HAHAHAHAHA, Dont ya just love that!!!!!!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Hahhaha oh my word!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!