Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: **** this, I'm out.

Man I hope this comes out for the best for you! Sad state of affairs.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Veterans should always come first.

We had a guy here who was in the Navy. No combat.

He was putting off going to the doctor for something and a Vietnam vet told him to go to the VA. He thought he had to be a war vet.

He got in every time like the next day. I always heard people say they had to wait for the VA. I guess you just have to go in and demand what you have definitely earned! If we need more doctors at the VA take them from public assistance.

You know, RR, next time don't listen to SD, follow Ollie's example.
    The only thing that turns up in his lumpy chair is probably some change and a Cheeto or two.

Hey RR, I am so sorry this happened. I too will pray that you are safe and contracted nothing. Keep us posted because there ar plenty of us who care.

I would say you should probably go to the doctors and get tested for any disease possibly spread by needles...Considering most of which are very life altering (or so i would presume.)

Hey now, IF that needle was used by someone with HIV, and the needle still somehow had viable virus on it, the cocktail CAN prevent transmission. Yes, the stuff is toxic and nasty but it can prevent transmission if started promptly. Hoping for the best for you!! Glad you were able to get in to see a doc right away.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    Thank you sarge.

It's been hours since this happened. The va actually returned my call, but a I suspected wouldn't give me an apt and told me to just go to the ER so here I am. They cannot test the needle. Doctor is going I talk to me about starting the cocktail. I've heard horror stories about the cocktail throughout t medic school. Not happy.

Winter. All I can do is listen to team Americas everyone has aids and family guys you have aids until I find out....

Things I would have rather woke up to find in my bed-

A rattlesnake
    A scorpion
    A black widow
    My ex mother in law
    A wasp
    George Takei
    A raccoon

The damned VA strikes again.

4 hours for a nurse that must have gotten his license online. I can't stand when I go in somewhere and they try to explain to me wrong information. Information that could be dangerous. When I question them they try to explain it for a retard, yet they sound like one.

Nurse asks to take blood to test for HIV. I question why, it hasn't had enough incubation time to show up on a test, so why are we doing it. I ask if I am getting the cocktail. He says not until the results get back, which will take a week. I explain that the cocktail must be administered promptly within 72 hours to be effective. He sounds like a moron stumbling around with his words. Whatever. I give him the damned blood. The doctor never even comes in so I can ask my questions and find out when to come in for a VIABLE test, as there is a window of opportunity for the test to work. I end up asking the nurse who tells me the blood they just took is all, and if it's negative I don't have HIV. Where does the VA find these people, even a good portion of people with no medical background know this stuff...

So according to them 15 hours after exposure they take my blood, no antibodies and i'm completely HIV free.
    Imagine this happening to some poor dude with a family, and in a week gets a negative results, and listening to the VA thinks he's safe and has sex with his wife and infects her. I hate the VA.
    Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. As with any medical issue it looks like I have to do the legwork and figure it out on my own, rather than listen to the VA.
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 07-29-2013 at 11:50 PM.

You missed the one question that would have changed everything. "What happens when YOU have an accidental needle stick?"

It's your life Randy and your medical treatment. You have the right to DEMAND how that is handled. If that's the response you received get on the phone to the administrator of that VA Hospital and don't stop until you have received appropriate and correct care. I certainly would not accept that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick several messages have been left for the PR guy. No calls back. That's definitely not the worst thing I've witnessed there. No one ever seems to be reachable to take responsibility. No wonder vets flip and kill ppl. They pretend to be there. Bu they aren't. At least not here at the Martinez one...

Randy - Here are some telephone numbers for you. I think you more than qualify for any of them. Complain, Complain, Complain. Through a fit, stomp, hold your breath, do whatever you need to do to make someone listen. If that fails contact you Mayor's office, Senator's office and/or Representative's office. I'm quite certain if the VA received a call from the Martinez Mayor's office or a Senator's office they would find space and time for you in a heartbeat.

• Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1)
    • 24 Hour Nurse: 1-800-382-VETS (8387)
    • National Veterans Helpline: 1-800-507-4571

If you are pushing the treatment window then hit the ER. A private hospital ER has a legal responsibility and they are more sensitive to legal recourse than the VA. It will be more expensive but you may be weighing your future health again the cost.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The next step would be the mayor or senator. I've done all of the hold your breath scream crap. All it did is get me raging and no where with them. It all sounds easy to you, yeah sure there's the numbers, it must be so easy. Maybe it's just this local VA. I don't know, but I do know i've wasted more countless of my hours with them getting nowhere than to make it worth it. Of course I could go to a private ED, but i'm not putting myself in debt for life over it.

The one time I did I got almost a thousand dollar bill for UCD to clean my burn wounds, using nothing more than I could have done at home. But the ED doc strongly encouraged I go there. That was a waste.

If I thought it was easy I wouldn't have provided the numbers or suggested the elected officials. On the contrary, I recognized you were having problems getting the medical care you needed and I was just trying to help.

Blog Entries

So catching a disease, maybe one you can't get rid of, or getting a serious infection is better than a doc or hospital bill?
    Doesn't make sense to me.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If I thought it was easy I wouldn't have provided the numbers or suggested the elected officials. On the contrary, I recognized you were having problems getting the medical care you needed and I was just trying to help.
    Sorry, I know you're trying to help, I hope I didn't come off as an A hole.

It just gets frustrating, I swear it's a ruse. They seem to advertise how to get help everywhere, billboards, magnets, on the automated phone, then they suck at it.

Last year I witnessed a freak out from a vet that just wanted psychiatric help, he was screaming just help me, someone I want to kill myself, why wont anyone help me. His counselor had security kick him out and didn't watch him. I really hope he got the help he needed.

Just a few months ago I watched a nurse come out and call a patient by their disease. "The person with congestive heart failure" A feeble 90 year old starts hobbling to the door on a walker. She urges him to hurry up they're busy. Not only did she yell out protected health information, call a patient a disease not a human, but then she tells him to hurry up?! I was in such a state of shock all I could do is sit their in awe with my mouth open...

Quote Originally Posted by Beo View Post
    So catching a disease, maybe one you can't get rid of, or getting a serious infection is better than a doc or hospital bill?
    Doesn't make sense to me.
    No sir, what are you referring to? The burn incident? They used nothing different than sterile saline gauze and elbow grease.

This incident? No blood test will show it for a week, besides going to a private ED and demanding the cocktail, what do you suggest this will accomplish? The chances I contracted something now have been shown to be very low, and I don't even know if I would take the cocktail now. A month of something similar to chemo for a very slight chance i'd probably pass.
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 07-30-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Oh my bad RR, I just read a couple posts. Hope everything is squared away though.
    Need all the Screaming Eagles round here we can get.
    Didn't know about the burn incident, got a few scars from that kinda sh!t myself, silvadine is great for burns though.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

That's some bad luck on several levels. I hope things get better.

This sux, but thank you for posting. Sadly, this is a caution, warning that needs to be circulated more widely. I know that just reading the comments have made me more aware and hopefully more careful when outdoors. A terrible testament to yet another societal ill of our times. I truly hope that you suffer no ill affects from your experience and again, thanks for putting this out there.
    'rum

That truly sucks you slept on a needle. And what sucks more is that it most likely is a druggie needle; most diabetics are pretty good at disposing their needles. I'm even more surprised that the nurses and doctors treated you like that. First thing a half minded doctor would do is give you the cocktail after explaining the situation. I would want to wake up next to any of the things you described than being stuck with a dirty, unknown needle. I hope the best for you!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    Last year I witnessed a freak out from a vet that just wanted psychiatric help, he was screaming just help me, someone I want to kill myself, why wont anyone help me. His counselor had security kick him out and didn't watch him. I really hope he got the help he needed.

Just a few months ago I watched a nurse come out and call a patient by their disease. "The person with congestive heart failure" A feeble 90 year old starts hobbling to the door on a walker. She urges him to hurry up they're busy. Not only did she yell out protected health information, call a patient a disease not a human, but then she tells him to hurry up?! I was in such a state of shock all I could do is sit their in awe with my mouth open...
    That's effed up on so many levels! Sorry.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Just thinking here. Not to take anything away from Randy; what he's going through is a very real concern. However what can we learn from all of this? DON'T TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED! Before sleeping on anything in the outdoors check the ground, leaves, etc. over thoroughly! Randy, I'm pulling for you bud!...
    I strongly agree with Sarge ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS thoroughly check the area before sleeping on the ground. I have never found a used needle but I can't tell you how many tines I have found broken glass! I use the trowel I use for digging my latrine to scrape and poke my sleeping area to see what I turn up. Even when I use my pocket hammock I still check the the ground below in case I fall out of the hammock.