Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to find fatwood in the wild?

Banned

If you ever see someone felling a Pine Tree ask for a slice from the base of the trunk it will be loaded with sap. That is how I got mine and I have enough for a very long time. It was a PITA to split it all but well worth the effort.

As for finding Fat wood in the Wild, it tends to accumulate in the first 12 inches where a branch about the size of your wrist joins the trunk of a Pine Tree.

Otherwise, Ace Hardware sells Fat wood....visit your nearest Ace Hardware Branch in the Wilderness.
    Last edited by Kudos; 01-22-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Yet another video of a lighter knot stump I came across. This stuff is everywhere...lol!!

DomC

Banned

Going slightly off track but don't forget that the Pine Sap that forms where the bark is damaged also lights easily and burns well.
    Every year I gather Pine Sap and often melt it with wood shavings. (Note: Don't use a good knife for gathering pine sap as it is a PITA to remove from the blade)
    Once cool I break it into cubes for my Tinder Box.

Thanks....
    Last edited by sjj; 07-03-2015 at 05:05 AM.

Thanks for all of that information DomC.

In South Ms. its everywhere. Stumps that our grandpas made by cutting pines in Fall, then maybe we would have a long enough cold snap to bring the pine tar to the ground...In the Wild, plenty of stumps, & natural fatwood. Look for long dead rotten pines, knock some bark of(especially around old limbs) it's there.
    Here is an old stump on my land
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

DomC-That is a nice looking hatchet. Can you tell me anything about it? Where to get one? Does it have special qualities? Is it a really good one or just a nice modern hatchet?

Excellent thread and info! Thanks for all the pics!!

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    DomC-That is a nice looking hatchet. Can you tell me anything about it? Where to get one? Does it have special qualities? Is it a really good one or just a nice modern hatchet?
    it's a SOG FASTHAWK. I bought it at Dicks Outdoors on sale a few years ago. I like it cause it's short and lightweight (12"OL 1.4lbs). I also have a Cold Steel Frontier hawk but it is really bulky with a 22" hickory handle. I carry my SOG instead. The holes in the head make for better grip for me when carving feathersticks. I have small hands and this hawk is built for me. YMMV....
    http://www.sogknives.com/f06tn-cp.html

DomC
    Last edited by DomC; 01-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.