Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 49 Ways to Save Money on Groceries

Default 49 Ways to Save Money on Groceries

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

#50 Reduce portion size.
    Put less on your plate, eat real slow. Wait 10 minutes before helping yourself to seconds...chances are, you won't be hungry any more.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    #50 Reduce portion size.
    Put less on your plate, eat real slow. Wait 10 minutes before helping yourself to seconds...chances are, you won't be hungry any more.
    And skipping a meal wont kill ya either, If i'm not active, I eat breakfast and dinner, I skip lunch.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Yeah; definitely eat in proportion to what you do. The difference in how much I need when I'm sedentary vs very active is about 5 fold. More if it's very cold as well.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Just think...when you reduce calories, portion size and skip a meal along the way, you'll be practicing for when TSHTF. You do it for everything else.

I saw "have a garden" and "forage" on the list, but I didn't see "hunt for meat".
    It won't save "B" anything, but some of us can save a fair amount of money, by filling the freezer with deer, bear, wild pig, etc.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

....oh....and don't forget the squirrels. (For squirrel ceviche.) LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

thanks for sharing! This is technically not 'groceries' but I make my own laundry soap. It's a few dollars to make a 10 gallon batch, and it works much better than commercial detergent (plus has no added dyes or perfumes). We used to go through a large container of laundry detergent per week, so we've saved quite a bit of money already.

http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/...best%2520value

I always mean to get/make a cast-net. There are no bag limits here for anchovy, herring, smelt and such. Given that I pay $2 per 3oz can of those brunswick and crown prince 'kippers', I could be both saving myself grocery money and eating more of my favorite stinky tiny fish.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Farmers' markets around here are just glorified boutique markets. You do not save money at them. In some places, if you want to save money, find a truck market or dedicated farm stand located on a farm selling its own produce. A lot of the farmers' markets here feature meat sellers. I happen to know where the slaughterhouse is these guys are getting their meat and bacon processed, and you can get it usually $2 less per pound there. Even less if you buy bulk.

Don't buy meat in a supermarket if you can help it. Get a freezer and buy 1/4 or 1/2 of a steer in the fall and put it up, or go in with a neighbor on the whole thing. You can buy pig, lamb and goat the same way. Be sure to get the bones and tallow. Tell the butcher you want them as most of their more urban clientele don't want those things. I can get all the free tallow I want from a small market where the owner buys in quarters and doesn't need the tallow. I can also get all the free turkey giblets I want in November at the local turkey farm - as long as I order a turkey for Thanksgiving. A lot of the local gun ranges have "turkey" shoots in the fall too. I've gotten 3 or 4 frozen turkeys on $20 worth of bullseye match tickets each fall the last 3 years. I don't do as well at the chance card shoots or meat raffles so tend to stay away from those.

The article didn't mention pick-your-own places. Again, watch the pricing as in some areas, this has become an "attraction" for tourists rather than a means to save money on bulk. But do check local orchards for B-grade fruit. You can usually get a crate of B-grade apples, pears or peaches for half the cost of first quality. And if you are chopping it up for canning, who cares if you have to compost a chunk here and there.

Living close enough to Boston we have a local anomaly call The Haymarket. This is pretty much where C grade truck produce goes. You can get crates of tomatoes for $5. Fruits and leafy produce may be only half useable but still cheap. Things like cabbage at 3 heads for $1. You can buy bags of stuff for pennies on the pound. While the displays on the carts look nice, most stuff is bought sight unseen from crates behind the carts. Sometimes you will get severely chastised in gutter Eyetalian if you take something off the cart display. LOL. If you intend to bring a hand-truck you have to go early as it gets really crowded after 7am. There is a fish market at one end that has really good deals on fresh fish and a meat market at the other end (a little too pricey), but the best place is a tiny underground cheese shop that has the best super-sharp cave-aged cheddar... Just stay out of the Fanueil Hall Marketplace around the corner unless you go for breakfast before the Haymarket opens. Tourist trap.

Here are some great picks of the Haymarket (takes a few seconds to load)
    http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2008/0...ary-haymarket/
    Last edited by LowKey; 07-28-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I agree on the Farmer's Market. We have a huge one here every Saturday and you'll pay premium prices there. As for buying 1/4 or 1/2 steer it just wouldn't be economical for me personally. It's just me and my wife now and we don't eat enough beef to warrant having that much on hand. We did that when all the kids were home but it just depends on your family size and eating habits.

That's a great suggestion on pick-your-own. We have done peaches and strawberries many time for canning.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree that in theory that a lot of those tips are good.

I do disagree with a some of them.

Shop several different stores....have friends that drive 10 miles to save 50 cents on one item....BS
    One trip to shop...do everything in one day....

Don't use coupons....DW uses them all the time, you just have to make sure that its something you are gonna use and want....don't buy dog food on sale...they like certain kinds, and get the runs if ya keep changing it...I gotta pick it up.

Buy bulk...maybe good if you have a big family, just two of us...hate throwing away food, ..buy what you are gonna use, before it goes bad, or you get tired of it...We buy smaller portions, re-package into serving sizes.

Freezers and extra refrigerators...Good if used properly......Why buy something, or grow it.... pay to keep frozen then throw it away 5 years from now....
    Garage refrigerators are for beer and soda, night crawlers, game and such.....not a spare for over buying...Man Law!

Buy food that is "Good for you"..... if no one eats it....it's only good for you if used...not bought for the warm fuzzes, then tossed as no one likes it.

Hunting and fishing to save money....unless you live in Alaska or Canada, largely a myth....my first wild turkey was like a $1000 bucks pound....Hunt and fish because you want to.....not really gonna save money....but is a good reason for a new rifle.

Same with gardens......do it because it's fun, honest work, better tasting food, and better for you all around....40 tomato plants are too many for 2 people......canning is good, but only have to do it every couple of years.
    Get used to the idea that thing come is seasons.......people give away tomatoes and zucchini every year...too many all at once.

Couple of loves of zucchini, banana bread....good, and fine...enough already!

Bread machines....fun to play with, if you like flat/fallen bread...just go buy it at the bakery outlet...put extra in freezer....I like thawed hard bread.....that what soup is for.

Farmers Markets...I like Farmers Markets....get to know them, you will get "local prices", buy small portions like what you are gonna this week....and keep extra stuff out of MY refrigerator....Remember they need to make some money as well and cheaper that going to a movie.
    It's a social event, buy some flowers, have a coffee, fresh desert and buy a hot dog from what ever kids fund raiser that is going on.

Never mess with the cook....give compliments, or you will eat mac an' cheese for a month.....Bottle of wine will make anything go down just fine.

Hope that clears it up some....Live as healthy as you can....but don't worry about it too much.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hunter...Right. On.The. Money.
    (Learned by trial & error)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    my first wild turkey was like a $1000 bucks pound

Ain't that the truth!! Fishing is even worse if you add in the bass boat, trailer and F-350 to pull it.

A lot of my left overs are frozen or turned into other meals, like leftover chicken and rice along with the left over veggies in the fridge are great to make a casserole out of.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I was brought up on casserole......
    By definition it is: anything you have left in the fridge, mixed with noodles and baked.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I was brought up on casserole......
    By definition it is: anything you have left in the fridge, mixed with noodles and baked.
    There ya go, I was too.

About two years ago, my wife started couponing. We get the Sunday paper, and our neighbor gives us his coupons. For a family of 5, she has reduced weekly groceries to less than $100. Usually it's about $80 a week. I remember she used to spend about 150 or more per week. Plus, the meals we make are healthier and we have more leftover for lunch the next day.

With 3 kids, we hardly ever eat out, so we save money there, too.

Good post, Rick.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

I think the key to this, as with most things, is to just use good common sense.

The problem, is that so many people seem to being loosing the ability to do so. Hahaha.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    I think the key to this, as with most things, is to just use good common sense.

The problem, is that so many people seem to being loosing the ability to do so. Hahaha.
    You just have to try harder, 2D. Where there's a will, there's a way.