Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man, I wasn't prepared... for a Home Birth!

Default Man, I wasn't prepared... for a Home Birth!

So, my lil guy finally arrived. 8 days overdue and replete with drama and excitement.

My wife was measuring 45 weeks at week 41... and not a very happy camper. We did everything possible to induce natural labor and nothing worked. Finally had to admit defeat and leave it to fate.

At 1am Fri night/Sat morning the contractions increased in frequency and intensity, by 4am they were quite painful but still not coming every 5 mins as the midwives want before they'll get "concerned" that childbirth is imminent. At 4:30am my wife called them anyways and lied about the timing as her gut was telling her something was up and a baby was on its way.

The midwives however - having just gotten in at 2am from another birth - weren't eager to jump out of bed so soon for what was very likely a "false alarm" (their opinion, considering my wife had been able to speak through a contraction) and told my wife they'd grab another 1/2 nap and be at our place around 5:15am.

Well, 5:30am rolled around and they still hadn't arrived and I was just about as concerned/worried as I get. My wife was pacing the house in agony, and I couldn't get her to sit still as sitting was even more painful for her. At 5:40am she stood up and her water broke. While I was staring at her for a moment of shock the midwives rang the doorbell. I figured at that point, getting them in and working was more important than grabbing a towel and cleaning up. lol

Anyways, they did a quick examination and dropped the hammer on us - we wouldn't be going to the hospital. To do so would risk having the baby in the car as my wife was 8cms dilated and baby was deep in the birth canal.
    This threw my wife for a loop as a home birth was NEVER in the cards. She'd had a baby previously (not mine) and it was by doctors, in a hospital, with an epidural - at no time during this 2nd pregnancy did she ever pretend to be tough enough to do a home birth. She wanted the epidural option incase things got too painful.

So, the midwives made their determination and my wife just kinda "went away" for a little while. lol Her eyes glazed over and she wouldn't respond to questions for a bit. She returned as the midwives were helping her upstairs to the bathroom and asked, meekly, "What are my pain options?" and the midwives replied "Honey, you're having a home birth... a hot bath and punching your husband is the best we can offer..."

Meanwhile I was literally sent scrambling to gather all the stuff the Midwives were demanding... towels - of course, blankets - of course, waterproof sheeting - ahh uhh I just used my last tarp to line a sandbox... umm *tears shower curtain off the rod*, cookie sheet - of cour... wait, what the hell do we need a cookie sheet for?

So, into the tub (that was too shallow for a water birth, so the hot bath to manage pain didn't even happen) and on with the rest of the labor. Everything went extremely smoothly due to the experience and competence of our midwives. They were able to manipulate the baby in the canal so that he came very easily, with just the contractions doing the work. No pushing or extra work for my wife.

Less than 20 minutes after our midwives arrived, we were holding our healthy 9lbs 8oz son. The mindblowing part comes now... this home birth, drug-free, was so ideal and healthy that my wife was examined, stitched, showered, dressed, wide awake and WALKING AROUND to greet our parents and siblings as they arrived to meet the baby just 1.5hrs after he was born.

It was a completely amazing life event and as perfect as it could be. My wife is my hero. If we have another baby, we won't even think about bothering with a hospital. lol How's that for going back to basics and living the pioneer life!?

Pics of Desmond Hendrik August, for any who like that sorta thing... He's a mega eater and despite being only 3.5 days old, he's already well over 10lbs and out of "newborn" clothing/diapers and into 3-6 month old stuff. Ouch.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Congratulations, Mom and Dad!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Oh my gosh, congratulations!!!!! What a story!!!!

It just don't get any better than that, congrats.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Awesome story to go along with a beautiful Baby.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Congratulations! I love big babies (and home births).
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Banned

Congratulations! Great story, great pics!

Wow, thanks for making my day.....It all went well, I'm guessing, and what a baby....wow.
    Congrats to your wife and you of course......cookie sheet was to get you out of the way......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks all. Still in complete awe over the events.

And Hunter... :P The cookie sheet ended up having a real use - holding implements and other stuff. lol

Super. Congrats. I'm glad both mom and baby are fine. She's a better man than I am..what I mean is...you know what I mean.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Your wife's a trooper and that's one beautiful baby!
    Congratulations to both of you!

Wow!! Congratulations!!! Your wife's experience with childbirth sounds like the best one I have ever heard. After seeing my wife give birth I determined there was nothing natural or beautiful about the experience! Your story has me rethinking that a little!
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

Congratulations to you both.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Congrats to you and the Mrs. And I am GLAD things happened the way they did,completely natural,better for ALL involved,especially the baby, and I bet you never got a single punch from the wife either!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Congratulations. Well done.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Congrats.

Tomorrow, I'll get my NNP wife to read this and get her opinion. I bet she'll flip out over this and the potential problems.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Why Rebel? Most of the times when home births happen unexpectedly, it simply means that every thing went so well, every thing was lined up right, mom was handling contractions well that things went smoothly. Why would you want to get someone to come on here with an OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA die attitude or story? Not saying that is what you wife is about, but it seems like that is what you are implying. Our society is already full of people who want to tell birth stories like old men sitting around telling war stories. It's not a good thing. When people say they've never even heard of a peaceful, joyous birth story, it really makes me sad that so many of our society is inflicted with this lack. No need to promote birth fear... our society is already rampant with it!

Georganne, owner of Cloud 9 Doula Services and homebirther!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Congrats to mom and dad and welcome to baby! YOUR STORY SURE IS BETTER THAN KATE AND WILL'S heck they just went to the old hospital....
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Why Rebel? Most of the times when home births happen unexpectedly, it simply means that every thing went so well, every thing was lined up right, mom was handling contractions well that things went smoothly. Why would you want to get someone to come on here with an OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA die attitude or story? Not saying that is what you wife is about, but it seems like that is what you are implying. Our society is already full of people who want to tell birth stories like old men sitting around telling war stories. It's not a good thing. When people say they've never even heard of a peaceful, joyous birth story, it really makes me sad that so many of our society is inflicted with this lack. No need to promote birth fear... our society is already rampant with it!

Georganne, owner of Cloud 9 Doula Services and homebirther!
    From what I hear, it even matters as to which hospital if there are complications. If you or anyone else want to roll the dice when there are alternatives, go ahead.
    Last edited by rebel; 07-25-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Blog Entries

He's a fine looking young man, OM. Mrs OM did a splendid job. Congratulations to you both.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.