Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kinnikinnik and fat spoilage

I don't think it would go rancid. Just an opinion but if it were submerged in a stable fat it should be fine. I'm assuming it was cooked meat.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

....or just used it to grease the axles on their wagon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

YCC i think the vinegar would be a preservative ?
    my primitive skills apprenticeship blog:
    http://modern-natural.blogspot.com/

Rendered fat does not go rancid. So cook your bacon fat and now it is rendered.

There is no salt added to pemmican.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    A guy I know who came here from Europe, can't remember where in Europe, said his parents would store meat in vats of lard completely submerged and it lasted a long, long time.

maybe they just didn't mind the rancid taste????
    I have seen historical references to this mostly regarding wagon trains and such.
    I can remember reading about it as well as storing eggs in with the lard and pork, they were dipped in isinglass first (this is wrong, I was think of water glass) from what I can recall.

Tried to find a link explaining how this was done, but seem all searches for "Pork Barrel" came back reference to politics, as in pork barrel spending and such.
    Sad, as the term is derived from the actual pork barrel as rwc has presented.

Have to check in my Fox Fire books..............
    This would be a useful way to keep food w/out refrigeration.

Reference link:
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Susta...gs.aspx?page=2

Discusses lard, water glass, wax etc.
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-14-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

You were right the first time Hunter, my mum used to store eggs in Isinglass for use in the winter when the chickens had stopped laying. From what I remember they tasted OK and would keep about 4 months.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Default The Amish still do it

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    Maybe there is a lot of salt in it. I have heard (from Foxfire) the oldtimers used to store meat in 8-10g crocks, and cover the top with warm fat. And it kept for months. I also remember that Crisco (animal lard) is not stored in the fridge. It would keep for about 2 years before it would smell "off" (that is, when we used Crisco, we don't anymore).
    We buy pigs from an Amish farmer and butcher them ourselves. He smokes our hams and bacons for us in exchange for the lard that we cook off. I don't cook with lard so no loss. I asked him what he was doing with all that lard, so he showed me. He had a stone "Root cellar" (it was actually above ground but was shaded and had stone walls about 18 inches thick!) off the back porch of his house. There were several large crocks with wood covers. Inside them were layers of pork chops covered with layers of melted lard, which then set up. It made an airtight seal, kept the meat fresh, and didn't go rancid because it was covered and kept in the cool cellar. I have to admit I was impressed.