Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RICE STORAGE.........Brown, wild....??????

One more thing to consider with nitrogen loading your container. If you're using the zip locks for storage you'd have to load each individual zip lock bag and not the barrel or bucket - don't know if that would work, but I don't see why not and it would eliminate the need to reload your container after each opening.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Default Better stock up quick hopeak!

Rice prices jumped 30 per cent to an all-time high on Thursday, raising fears of fresh outbreaks of social unrest across Asia where the grain is a staple food for more than 2.5bn people.

The increase came after Egypt, a leading exporter, imposed a formal ban on selling rice abroad to keep local prices down, and the Philippines announced plans for a major purchase of the grain in the international market to boost supplies. Global rice stocks are at their lowest since 1976.

Indonesia warns of unrest as food prices rise - Feb-27Editorial Comment: Biofuels will not feed the hungry - Feb-25High food prices may force aid rationing - Feb-24Wheat prices in biggest one-day rise - Feb-25MF Global takes $141m hit trading wheat - Feb-28MF Global counts the costs - Feb-29On Friday the Indian government imposed further restrictions on the exports of rice to combat rising local inflation, with traders warning that the new regime would de facto stop all India’s non-basmati rice sales.

The measures include raising the minimum price for selling abroad non-basmati rice by 53 per cent to $1,000 a tonne. Exports of premium basmati rice are likely to continue, although volumes could also suffer as the government also increased the minimum export price and scrapped export tax incentives.

While prices of wheat, corn and other agricultural commodities have surged since late 2006, the increase in rice prices only started in January.

The Egyptian export ban formalises a previously poorly enforced curb and follows similar restrictions imposed by Vietnam and India, the world’s second- and third-largest exporters. Cambodia, a small seller, also on Thursday announced an export ban.

These foreign sales restrictions have removed about a third of the rice traded in the international market.

“I have no idea how importing countries will get rice,” said Chookiat Ophaswongse, president of the Thai Rice Exporters Association. He forecast that prices would rise further.

The Philippines, the world’s largest buyer of the grain, said on Thursday it wanted to purchase 500,000 tonnes after it failed to buy a similar amount earlier this month. It is struggling to import 1.8m-2.1m tonnes to cover a production shortfall and on Thursday confirmed it would tap emergency stocks maintained by Vietnam and Thailand.

Rice is also a staple in Africa, particularly for small countries such as Cameroon, Burkina Faso and Senegal that have already suffered social unrest because of high food prices.

Thai rice, a global benchmark, was quoted on Thursday at $760 a tonne, up about 30 per cent from the previous daily quote of about $580 a tonne, according to Reuters data. Some traders, however, said the daily jump was not as steep, adding that Thai rice had already traded at about $700 a tonne this week.

Rice prices have doubled since January, when the grain traded at about $380 a tonne, boosted by strong Asian, Middle Eastern and African demand.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d6f1cd74-f...nclick_check=1

also remember to use heavy plastic. moths will eat holes right through ziplock freezer bags. i've seen them do it.

also, if you get an infestation and catch it early, you can always re-parch your grain or been type foodstuffs. they aren't toxic, they don't really carry pathogens and they are technically edible, so a few killed in the mix isn't a problem. you can also then winnow them and the ground dust of the grains they've bored into out.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Make sure to rotate your spices or you'll end up with tasteless colored powder. Heat and light deterioriate them, so depending on where you're storing them, they may need to be rotated sooner.
    Every year when I rotate my spices, I dump the old spices, especially the peppers, along the property lines to keep neighborhood dogs off and stop their cr$pp&ng on the lawn. This will work with wild animals as well.
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Survival is the art of steeling one's desire to overcome and surpass any situation with nothing more than personal will and fortitude.

i go through them pretty fast. a quart bag of my red curry base powder lasts me a few months, the tail end of which will still blow your socks clear off.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Hopeak, another thought about storing rice (I'm just starting this now) is to use 2 liter soda bottles after they've been cleaned and dried. They're food grade and should hold up better than plastic bags inside your strorage barrels.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

if you want to store beans, rice, etc, and not worry about opening the barrel later and finding that bugs have hatched out in the beans, etc, then you can buy Diatomoceous Earth power. It is made from claim shells,. Any bug that does hatch out, will die. The power is safe to eat. You can also use the power on your garden. I have used it years ago to store beans and rice. I opened the cans about 9 years later and every thing was still good, no bugs.You need to put one cup of power to every five gallon can of beans, or rice, then shake it around to cover every thing.

DE is made from the fosilized remains of a type of algae. thank you for the advice; i never though of that stuff for grain storage. i used to use it to keep slogs from damaging my out-door mushroom patches.

i should add that the structure of the silica present can pose respiratory hazards if you breathe the dust, though it is still safe for ingestion.
    Last edited by canid; 04-06-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks Cabingirl.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

You'all see what is going down with "RICE" worldwide. Click on Bloomberg.com

Banned

Costs up 50% in the last two weeks. Three billion people rely on rice as their main staple.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If the rice (20# Bags) comes in a zip-lock bag. Can I just leave it unopened in that bag for two or four years........?????

As long as it stays dry.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    If the rice (20# Bags) comes in a zip-lock bag. Can I just leave it unopened in that bag for two or four years........?????
    You might have to worry about rodents. I put mine in food grade 5 gallon buckets that have the rubber seal on the lid.

Banned
    Blog Entries

My "RODENTS" are out of hibernation. I think for the time being I'll just store the rice on the shelf of one of the White 20' CONNEX'S.