Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RICE STORAGE.........Brown, wild....??????

like this.

this particular bottle uses CO2 and argon in addition to the Nitrogen, but they're all more or less inert and are food grade.

many sources welding gases like argon for welding are also very pure, though i'm not sure i'd trust them.
    Last edited by canid; 03-28-2008 at 06:43 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    for 5gal buckets, you can get small aerosols of it from wine shops. they make them for preserving opened bottles. you put the nozzle in the neck of the bottle, spray a little and re-cork.

What % is it?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Can I store it in the BIG plastic ZIP LOCK bags it comes in....????? That was my plan, and put the plactic bags inside several 33Gal. trash bags, and put those in the steel drum.

Will that work.........????????

i don't know he ratio of the gasses, but those are the only constituents. some i've seen list only nitrogen. i sometimes see them at BevMo.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Can I store it in the BIG plastic ZIP LOCK bags it comes in....????? That was my plan, and put the plactic bags inside several 33Gal. trash bags, and put those in the steel drum.

Will that work.........????????

Could, but I wouldnt bury them. You said you were more worried about temps?

Banned
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=BraggSurvivor;37702]hopeak, stay away from the steel drums. Use food grade plastic. (new if possible) Dry, it should last decades. Wild rice is actually grass seed.

What would be wrong with eating grass seed???

And I store oats and barley over the winter in a unheated Connex, why could these not be ground and eaten???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    i don't know he ratio of the gasses, but those are the only constituents. some i've seen list only nitrogen. i sometimes see them at BevMo.

I can purchase Nitrox gas upto 60% for tech diving. I was just interested in the percentage. I can refill my cylinders for $15.00 (60%0) Pretty cheap if that would work.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BraggSurvivor View Post
    Could, but I wouldn't bury them. You said you were more worried about temps?
    My understanding is that stuff (Food Stuff) keeps longer if kept cool. And heat accelerates deterioration.

Banned

[QUOTE=hopeak;37720]
    Quote Originally Posted by BraggSurvivor View Post
    hopeak, stay away from the steel drums. Use food grade plastic. (new if possible) Dry, it should last decades. Wild rice is actually grass seed.

What would be wrong with eating grass seed???

And I store oats and barley over the winter in a unheated Connex, why could these not be ground and eaten???

Absolutely nothing, it's the only "rice" we eat around here. Your grains are better off not heated if you can help it. Colder the better. PTO grinders mills could come in handy. I grind all my raw cattle feed this way.

55 gallon drum of barley chop costs me $9.00 using raw barley.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    My understanding is that stuff (Food Stuff) keeps longer if kept cool. And heat accelerates deterioration.

Five years than should be a breeze.

brag, it would help. would definitely slow down any oxidation [takes months to years in cool to cold temps anyway] but i don't know how those concentrations would effect hatching of moth or weevil eggs. i'm certain that figures have been posted by the USDA for commerce at some point.

as for wild rice being grass seed: all cerial grain is grass seed.

Unless Hopeak has problems with moths he wouldn't have to be worried about anyway unless he's concerned about moisture.

Hopeak - Why don't you make up the barrel as intended then create two or three much smaller ones that you could uncrate at 1, 2 and 3 year intervals (or any interval you like). that would let you keep an eye on longevity without having to actually open the big one up. If things look a bit peeked at say 2 years then you know you probably need to uncrate everything and start again. Just a thought.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

What about soybean?

If your right, my wife is in big crap for making me eat it all these years, I like the fluffy white processed rice better.

if he lives in an area where there are insect grain pests, it pays to be certain. you may never have a problem with them, but once they get into a 55gal drum of grain and it's stored for months or more, it's trash. that's a big waste.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Unless Hopeak has problems with moths he wouldn't have to be worried about anyway unless he's concerned about moisture.

Hopeak - Why don't you make up the barrel as intended then create two or three much smaller ones that you could uncrate at 1, 2 and 3 year intervals (or any interval you like). that would let you keep an eye on longevity without having to actually open the big one up. If things look a bit peeked at say 2 years then you know you probably need to uncrate everything and start again. Just a thought.

The eggs of the moths are in the grains.

I dont think he would have a problem as I dont, and it alot colder up there than here.

soy is not a cerial grain, it's a legume.

it needs consideration for it's fatty acids/oil content for long term storage aswell, as does corn, nuts, etc. for most durations this can be as simple as cool temps but my point with the inert gas storage was the pest concern, and it helps that it alleviates multiple problems.

Man, I wouldn't take a bucket of soy beans if they were free. Chick peas and black eyed peas, yeah. But not soy beans.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Thanks canid.

I buy soybeans here for $4.00 a bushell. Grindem into chop and feed it to the pigs mixed with water. They love it.

It's true that the eggs of stored product pest moths will survive a freezing, while the adults and larvae will not. It nitrogen or CO2 loading your storage container is not an option (remember - you'll have to do it after each opening) store your rice in smaller bags (I use double one gallon zip locks) If eggs hatch they will not get through the plastic bags and contaminate the rest of your supplies. If however you're in an area that is prone to these critters the nitrogen loading is a good option. If you're not sure about them - ask to inspect the store that you buy your supplies. Look high on walls where the wall and ceiling meet. If they are prevalant where the products are stored you will find lots of little miniature cocoons.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

WOW .....You guys are cranking out the "GOOD" information. What else you got.

Canid, I am in Alaska, on the Kenai peninsula. It gets warm in the summer. But I do not think the gravel pit would get above 44* F down a few feet, and that would be at most 60 Days per year.