Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RICE STORAGE.........Brown, wild....??????

Banned
    Blog Entries

Question RICE STORAGE.........Brown, wild....??????

I want to know what type rice to buy, Brown, wild, etc. And how to store it for say 5 years.

I have some new 55 Gal. drums (steel) with locking ring lids.

My plan is to bury the drums in a gravel area on the homestead. Thinking It will be frozen in 5 to 7 months per year, I need to mark the site well, and use only clean gravel, which is dig-able in winter.

The bury idea is because of the refrigeration. Not security.

Ground water does not exist in the gravel area.

Your thoughts on type of rice, and storage. I am thinking about 150# to maybe 300#..........

I have stored brown and white rice. Mine is above ground, so no advice there. I've got it double bagged in plastic and then sealed in 5 gal plastic buckets.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I favor brown rice but use whatever you like the best. As long as the drum is air tight you should have no problems. If you have any concerns about moisture then add a bag of desiccant to the barrel.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ilive in an area with enourmous pantry moth concentrations, so if i'm storing over 50# i pretty much have to use CO2 or Nitrogen gass. the eggs will survive repeated freezing and hatch anytime it's warm. inert gasses prevent them from hatching.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I have stored brown and white rice. Mine is above ground, so no advice there. I've got it double bagged in plastic and then sealed in 5 gal plastic buckets.
    Crash, Did you use dry ice..??? Any thoughts about bullion, beef or chicken. the plain rice might go down gooder with flavoring. Maybe I could store top roman thingies.

Okay, how does that work. Spray it and slam the lid shut real fast? How do you get the gas inside?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Crash, Did you use dry ice..??? Any thoughts about bullion, beef or chicken. the plain rice might go down gooder with flavoring. Maybe I could store top roman thingies.
    I did not use dry ice. I've got about 75lbs of each the white and brown. I also have a whole bunch of chicken and beef bullion cubes for flavoring (along with various spices). The Navy Commissary recently had a sale on the "top roman thingies" (9 cents a pack). Cashier looked at me kind of funny at checkout with about $20 worth of noodles. Told her I was having a party and couldn't afford chips and dip.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I can by the six packs for 98 cents and I always load up when I'm at the store. If bad turns to worse, I'll sell it to college kids to make a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I did not use dry ice. I've got about 75lbs of each the white and brown. I also have a whole bunch of chicken and beef bullion cubes for flavoring (along with various spices). The Navy Commissary recently had a sale on the "top roman thingies" (9 cents a pack). Cashier looked at me kind of funny at checkout with about $20 worth of noodles. Told her I was having a party and couldn't afford chips and dip.
    Make sure to rotate your spices or you'll end up with tasteless colored powder. Heat and light deterioriate them, so depending on where you're storing them, they may need to be rotated sooner.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Will do. No light gets to them. Mostly salt, pepper, garlic, dried chillies, old bay, season all. Things like oregano, bay leaves, dill, mint, etc. I grow in the garden so they get rotated often.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Okay, how does that work. Spray it and slam the lid shut real fast? How do you get the gas inside?
    Any data on this? Most of what I've found on Pantry moths is clean and use air tight containers, that bags aren't good enough.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

CO2 is denser than the ambient atmosphere and when sublimated over your storage container will sink, displacing the air already inside.

the same is true for nitrogen.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Default Rice storage

Hello,
    White rice is most likely a better choice for long term storage. Brown rice contains fatty acids, which will oxidize. Think of oil going rancid.

Scout

oxidtion of fats/oils is likewise not an issue if inert gas storage is used.

Banned

hopeak, stay away from the steel drums. Use food grade plastic. (new if possible) Dry, it should last decades. Wild rice is actually grass seed.

I hope this info wasnt useless.

Sublimate. Well there you go. Silly me. I sublimate all the time. Twice some days. (checking dictionary).....Ohhhhh, no kidding. I sure thought that meant something else. Oh, well.

Hey, scout - Welcome!! How about going over to the Introduction section and tell us a little about yourself.

it's one of those words with many meanings, like sexual relations or toast.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    CO2 is denser than the ambient atmosphere and when sublimated over your storage container will sink, displacing the air already inside.

the same is true for nitrogen.
    Where do you get your nitrogen canid?

Yeah. Toast.

for 5gal buckets, you can get small aerosols of it from wine shops. they make them for preserving opened bottles. you put the nozzle in the neck of the bottle, spray a little and re-cork.