Thread: SAR School

Blog Entries

Default SAR School

Well I'm going to SAR school, I'm pretty confident in the wilderness, a pretty good tracker, pretty good roughing it out in the wilderness. Thursday I tracked a wanted felon through the woods, as we served a warrant at a mobile home the subject went through a door in the floor of a back bedroom, he hit the woods and took off. 3 hours later I had tracked him to a deep creek where he was holding up. My Lieutenant and Sergeant were impressed (although he left more sign than an elephant herd) and we talked with the Marshals (we work with SOFAST here it's ran by the Marshal's) and although I'm the most competent in the woods tracking, I'm not not certified as a SAR tracker. So my department is sending me to school. I'm excited because I'm sure it'll enhance my tracking skills and I'll be certified. It's a 9 day course in PA.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Oh the school is Wilderness Emergency Response Institute, LLC. Sorry I left that out.
    Last edited by Beo; 07-21-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Awesome.. Good luck and have fun!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Sounds like a great opportunity ....congrats, man.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That's awesome! Sounds like fun for sure.

Learning is good. We will need a pretty exhaustive AAR.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

SAR school is a lot of fun. I did my tracking course with the Maine Game Wardens and the took a class in tracking with Tom Brown.
    I know what hunts you.

Excellent, sounds like a good opportunity.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Congrats, Beo!
    Any skill for which you can get a certification is a huge asset in your already extensive arsenal. You are working for a good place that is forward thinking enough to offer you this opportunity.

I attended the Sea/Air/Land SAR years ago. Very interesting and enjoyable. Used the info many times over the years. I am sure you will too.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Blog Entries

The SAR Course was awesome, I learned so much, tracking I learned more than I thought I would and the first aid was great, land navigation was OK I struggled some because nowadays I use a GPS, my compass is old too. The FEMA portion was OK but I think they suck anyway. Fire starting, and other wilderness skills were easy, search patterns such as grid, fan, line, etc. were good as were track and evidence identification and preservation. The tracking log was interesting and I got a ton of cool gear. Great feeling of accomplishment to be nationally certified.

Blog Entries

Thinking of doing a blog and posting my SAR Tracking notes, what'dya think.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Congratulations............

Quote Originally Posted by Beo View Post
    The SAR Course was awesome, I learned so much, tracking I learned more than I thought I would and the first aid was great, land navigation was OK I struggled some because nowadays I use a GPS, my compass is old too. The FEMA portion was OK but I think they suck anyway. Fire starting, and other wilderness skills were easy, search patterns such as grid, fan, line, etc. were good as were track and evidence identification and preservation. The tracking log was interesting and I got a ton of cool gear. Great feeling of accomplishment to be nationally certified.

Quote Originally Posted by Beo View Post
    Thinking of doing a blog and posting my SAR Tracking notes, what'dya think.
    Do it, do it,,,,,
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Congratulations on completion.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Congrats Beo.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel