Thread: How safe are US treasuries and municipal bonds?

Banned

Default How safe are US treasuries and municipal bonds?

Knowing what you know now, would you invest your retirement savings in US or municipal bonds? How confident are you that with all this runaway deficit spending that you would ever get your principal, much less the accrued interest, you were owed? Will its value have been wiped out by inflation if you were to get paid? There's a lot that still concerns me about our perilous economic situation. A video I watched today brought to surface some of those concerns.

In it two theories were presented that alarmed me the most. First, that John Corzine and the MF Global collapse was actually some form of beta testing for the organized theft of "secure" accounts. And second, that some event like a systemic banking virus would close down all forms of electronic payments and access to your funds via ATMs. Most likely to occur on a Friday afternoon with the assurances it was only temporary. Then by the following Monday the full-scale implementation of martial law. A bit of a stretch perhaps, but certainly a plausible false flag event that might help explain the recent bizarre expenditures to militarize the DHS.

This administration, like several before it, has been less than honest with America. The wealthiest citizens continue to hold a disproportionate amount of political influence, while the middle class endures the theft of it's assets and erosion of it's liberties. I truly fear the onset of some form of perpetual economic slavery. No whips, no chains, and no chance for real economic prosperity. There seems to be a gradual but constant pressure to move us willingly or otherwise, in that direction. Forces at work behind the scenes. The majority of Americans opposed Obamacare, yet it is somehow the law of the land. This administration came into power promising greater transparency and closing the indefinite detention facility at Guantanamo Bay. Not only has it failed to do either, it has expanded many of the programs they had campaigned against and instead they work tirelessly to undermine our bill of rights.

I fear the greatest challenge to our survival is not natural disaster nor some pandemic, but a few self-serving elitists who lack any moral compass. We will need a whole lot more than fire starters, fancy knives or MREs if we hope to survive their plans for us. That is unless we can somehow stop this train wreck before it happens.

Have a nice day!

Yes. Still do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I could write volumes in response. Suffice it to say that I DO NOT trust in the ability of Federal, state, county, or local governments to manage a 10-year-olds weekly allowance. All we've seen in the last decade are...

01. Unfathomable corporate bailouts
    02. Union bailouts as payback for political support
    03. The horror that is Obamacare about to descend upon us
    04. Mounting debt at every level of government and unfunded government liabilities exceeding ONE HUNDRED TRILLION DOLLARS.
    05. Bloated government salaries and benefits that have effectively established a new "privileged government class"
    06. Huge cash handouts to politically connected corporations - can you say "SOLYNDRA?"
    07. A President and Congress that exempts themselves from almost every financial law that governs the rest of us peons
    08. Record handouts to those who CHOOSE to make unemployment a lifestyle
    09. A redistribution of assets and wealth
    10. Government invasion of our privacy in virtually every aspect of our lives including all of our financial and health care records
    11. The prospect of the dollar no longer being the international reserve currency
    12. An energy policy that is blind to any and all reason and has needlessly raised the price of food
    13. Laws that allow some of the largest corporations to avoid taxes
    14. An administration that pisses through Hundreds of Millions on personal vacations
    15. A government that ignores our military service people, veterans, and retirees who are truly in need while we give BILLIONS to our foreign enemies
    16. A concerted effort to destroy the Second Amendment
    17. The creation of a Domestic Army called DHS
    18. A government INCAPABLE OF TELLING THE PUBLIC THE TRUTH
    19. The rise of the Nanny State
    20. The recent confiscation of bank accounts in Europe that CAN ALSO HAPPEN HERE
    21. And the list goes ON, AND ON, AND ON.

I don't trust those bastards in any way, shape, or form. Why would I trust them with my money?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

You trust them with your money every day. Have a checking or savings account? Have credit cards? File taxes (please say yes to that one)? Pay social security and income taxes on employees? You just don't trust them with SOME of your money.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You trust them with your money every day. Have a checking or savings account? Have credit cards? File taxes (please say yes to that one)? Pay social security and income taxes on employees? You just don't trust them with SOME of your money.
    The fact that they have some of it and control most of it does NOT mean that I trust them with it.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I stand corrected (deep bow).....

Banned

Well it appears that Ken gets it. I hope many more do as well, but I fear too many folks are so busy treading water that they have neither the time nor the energy to give this much consideration. The Detroit bankruptcy is likely the first of many, many more to come. Government officials continue to spend and borrow with little or no restraint. Then they stick us with mountains of debt while many of them (the Clintons and the Romneys for example) funnel fortunes into off-shore bank accounts avoiding taxation and creating personal safe havens. What little money we have left after taxes is being diluted from the billions of new dollars being printed everyday to "fund" this Ponzi scheme. When the music stops we're all going to be left without a chair. Statistics have shown that the wealthiest Americans continue to enjoy an even greater share of the economic pie, while the other 95% has actually lost net worth since the "recovery" spending began in 2008. Where have those trillions gone? What happens when the wealthiest 1 to 5% controls 100% of our nation's wealth?

I truly wish I shared your confidence, Rick, but I don't. I still think we live in the greatest country on the planet, but we have allowed an undesirable element to effectively take control. If you are well connected, the government has shown it will indemnify your losses. No risk, just reward. You can commit fraud, fix markets, and outright steal with little fear of prosecution. Where are the prosecutions for fixing the LIBOR rate, MF Global, or for any of the frauds perpetrated during the housing bubble? Where is the special prosecutor for an AG who ran guns into a sovereign nation and perjured himself before Congress?

Until everyone is held equally accountable under our laws, we're screwed. As MLK once said, "Justice is indivisible. Injustice anywhere....is a threat to justice everywhere!
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 07-22-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Ken agrees with you so he gets it. I don't agree so I don't get it? LOL. A chacun le sien.

Banned

@ Rick-

By and large I agree with you on many, if not most, topics here. I am just expressing my opinions based upon the evidence before me. I can't explain how you can interpret the same sets of data and arrive at your conclusions. One of us is likely way off on this subject(and honestly I hope it is me), but I have to arrive at my own conclusions based upon the preponderance of evidence as I see it. Too much of what I've seen, heard, and read seems to defy any other reasonable explanation. I am concerned that a lot of people are going to be injured by a likely collapse of the bond market. If they're not, it's because we all been injured through the monetary dilution of another massive bailout. The old school solution of growing the economy to be able to manage the debt isn't likely to work this time. The era of cheap fossil fuels is largely behind us and we have lost most our manufacturing base. Middle class America is being ripped off through debt creation and the hidden erosion of their purchasing power. There has been an acceleration of wealth consolidation in this country and most of us aren't invited to the party.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 07-22-2013 at 02:32 PM.