Thread: What are your thought on Injuries/illness in a SHTF situation?

Default What are your thought on Injuries/illness in a SHTF situation?

This is a three part question . First being what is the top five injury/Illness worries in a SHTF situation you plan for or worry about. Not counting GSW, or MVA.
    Here is my top five list in order of concern.
    1. broken bones
    2. wound Infection
    3. URI
    4. dysentery
    5. severe allergies

Next part is, are you prepared for those emergencies, and confident in your training and preps to handle them?

Last question, for the lone survivors or the alone in the wilderness types, how would you self treat a broken right arm with no help? And how high on your list is this of a concern for you?
    Last edited by welderguy; 07-21-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Banned

GSW? MVA? URI? Is disentarie = dysentery? I'm not sure I can follow your point with all of these abbreviations and questionable spellings? Could you explain these abbreviations for the slower folks like myself?

It's not a concern. I'm what you call hypervigilant and tend to come through accidents with little injury. In case of injury, I'm trained in first aid and pretty confident I can solve those kinds of problems. But, regardless, I won't live forever.

Lone survivor? I can reduce a fracture if I have to because I'm pretty tolerant of pain. You can whip up a rope and stick contraption to stretch an arm - but I would hope that it's a matter of getting back to my people - in that case, I'll just be immobilizing the arm.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Blog Entries

URI?

Upper Respiratory Infection or Urinary Renal Infection?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cast-Iron View Post
    GSW? MVA? URI? Is disentarie = dysentery? I'm not sure I can follow your point with all of these abbreviations and questionable spellings? Could you explain these abbreviations for the slower folks like myself?
    SHTF = Sh!t Hit The Fan Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    MVA = Motor Vehicle Accident
    GSW = Gun Shot Wound
    URI = Upper Respiratory Infection OR Urinary Renal Infection
    Last edited by Ken; 07-21-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added that neat smiley
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Cast-Iron View Post
    You bet, URI= Upper respiratory infection, MVA= motor vehicle accidents, GSW= gun shot wound. I thought I corrected spelling errors. POINT being what are your major concerns for injuries in a SH1T HIT THE FAN SITUATION! and can you treat them with the preps you have on hand. Any other explanations needed ? just ask!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

More importantly...... long term meds could be even more of a problem.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    SHTF = Sh!t Hit The Fan Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    MVA = Motor Vehicle Accident
    GSW = Gun Shot Wound
    URI = Upper Respiratory Infection OR Urinary Renal Infection
    I usually refer to a urinary Infection as a UTI= urinary tract infection.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    More importantly...... long term meds could be even more of a problem.
    I was searching for a PDF file I have and can not locate , written by a Doctor, about expiration dates on meds and how they really last longer than what you would expect.
    And I agree that on some peoples lists the meds they have to take once or more a day for the rest of there life is a problem for the long term.

Starting with the run of the mill stuff I've dealt with knowing full well how serious it can all turn when there are no docs or hospitals around:

1. cuts, burns, infections (bacterial/viral), diarrhea, dehydration
    2. tooth aches (any problems with teeth and gums can mushroom into something more dangerous that can even affect the heart)
    3. eye infections (you don't want to screw around with your eyes and risk blindness!)
    4. allergies--getting an asthma attack is scary even under normal circumstances.

I have stocked up on inhalers, and other meds by getting refills even if I didn't need them any more. (kept all the the accompanying info on each drug as well as my notes on what I took them for, etc.)

It really depends on what environment you are in.

1. 2nd or 3rd degree burn
    2. Hip dislocation
    3. Communicable disease of any kind
    4. Severe allergic reaction involving respiratory
    5. Anaphylactic shock
    6. Maternity issues

Those scare the bejeebies out of me and we are probably least prepared to handle them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Thanks for the clarifications, WG & Ken.

I keep a LOT of soaps, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and antibiotic cream on hand for what I think would last quite a while without re-supply. I think trying to prevent infection in a survival scenario would be preferable to treating it with limited resources.

As for broken bones, I guess it would depend upon the location and severity of the injury. I keep some over the counter pain meds. They work as well as most of the Rx drugs I've ever taken anyways.

I've posted on here before about stockpiling a few veterinary grade antibiotics for your pet fish. Interestingly enough these are available online and without any prescriptions. From the same major pharmaceutical manufacturers and in dosages that would be convenient for human consumption (if you found yourself in an emergency situation). I would recommend keeping typical dosage and usage information for each type of antibiotic you keep on hand; and store a copy with the meds.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    This is a three part question . First being what is the top five injury/Illness worries in a SHTF situation you plan for or worry about. Not counting GSW, or MVA.
    Here is my top five list in order of concern.
    1. broken bones
    2. wound Infection
    3. URI
    4. dysentery
    5. severe allergies

Next part is, are you prepared for those emergencies, and confident in your training and preps to handle them?

Last question, for the lone survivors or the alone in the wilderness types, how would you self treat a broken right arm with no help? And how high on your list is this of a concern for you?
    1. Appendicitis or something requiring surgery
    Not very well equipped to handle that. Even the "Where There is no Doctor" book says find a doctor. So I guess if no facilities were available I'd try to track down the local veterinarian, ER nurse? If it ruptures you need ABX but even then I think they need to do surgery to fix the rupture.
    2.Any type of epidemic/ pandemic illness
    Stay away from sick people. Make use of bleach, gloves and masks. Hope for the best.
    3. Massive infection MRSA
    I know we don't have ABX strong enough for that in our little supply. I've heard manuka honey is helpful with MRSA and topical infections.
    4. Lyme disease and other tick borne infections.
    My Lyme Dr. gave me ABX with refills so I have a small supply of Lyme specific ABX. When those are gone then I'd have to try natural remedies like teasel extract or Japanese knotweed for relief.
    5. Upper respiratory infection
    Use whatever ABX are appropriate. I also use fenugreek seed tea for all chest congestion related illnesses. It works well to keep the mucus production down.

Broken right arm with no help? I guess I'd try to tie it off to a tree and put the bone back in place if there was no chance of help.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Had a great Dr that used to give me a hunting trip prescription for 5 -Tylenol 3", 5-Benadryl, and 5-tetracyloren (spelling?)....enough to get me thru a couple of days to get back to town, or off a mountain.....can't find anyone that does that any more.

Have set a dislocated finger on a canoe trip my self....and didn't pass out.....
    No broken bones or serious infections.......just wet and cold many times....canoes get you wet as well as loosing your firearms...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

1. Dysentery et. al.

Water and hygiene are of the utmost importance.

2. Cuts, abrasions, contusions, and burns

2nd and 3rd degree are surely a huge issue, I'll get to part of that in a minute.

3. Sprains and strains

Life will be different, for most.

4. Communicable/Environmental

In particular from insects. This also includes moving in, allowing others to move in, or fruit, veg, water, and meat from a different source. Allergies fall here also. Kinda relates to number 1. Clothing, and yes chemistry, goes a long way. Bug nets, bug spray, UV spray, long sleeves, gloves, etc, etc.

5. Diet

I honestly put this one first on my personal list, that is especially true before and after. During, you take what you can get (within reason). Before, let's go in with a tank full (micros and macros). After, what does your surroundings, stores, or cache hold? A healthy diet arms you against many of the above, and allows quicker recovery from the rest.

Maybe I'm prepared, maybe I ain't. I have a diverse, and able bodied family. We are close, maybe too close under some circumstances. In that case, the extended family is welcoming, and the street runs both ways. We have room and resources, they have room and resources.

As to the last question, I'll give abbreviated answers.

No pulse to the extremity, we gotta do something. Set it, and hopefully regain circ.

Pulse to extremity, compound or simple?

Game time decision, with much more info than described here.

By the way, I'm ambidextrous. Is a left arm any less worthy?
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    1. Dysentery et. al.

Water and hygiene are of the utmost importance.

2. Cuts, abrasions, contusions, and burns

2nd and 3rd degree are surely a huge issue, I'll get to part of that in a minute.

3. Sprains and strains

Life will be different, for most.

4. Communicable/Environmental

In particular from insects. This also includes moving in, allowing others to move in, or fruit, veg, water, and meat from a different source. Allergies fall here also. Kinda relates to number 1. Clothing, and yes chemistry, goes a long way. Bug nets, bug spray, UV spray, long sleeves, gloves, etc, etc.

5. Diet

I honestly put this one first on my personal list, that is especially true before and after. During, you take what you can get (within reason). Before, let's go in with a tank full (micros and macros). After, what does your surroundings, stores, or cache hold? A healthy diet arms you against many of the above, and allows quicker recovery from the rest.

Maybe I'm prepared, maybe I ain't. I have a diverse, and able bodied family. We are close, maybe too close under some circumstances. In that case, the extended family is welcoming, and the street runs both ways. We have room and resources, they have room and resources.

As to the last question, I'll give abbreviated answers.

No pulse to the extremity, we gotta do something. Set it, and hopefully regain circ.

Pulse to extremity, compound or simple?

Game time decision, with much more info than described here.

By the way, I'm ambidextrous. Is a left arm any less worthy?
    That depends on who's left arm it is!

and whether you like the person.

"Dude, that's really nasty lookin'. Good luck with that."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    and whether you like the person.

"Dude, that's really nasty lookin'. Good luck with that."
    Exactly!!!!!