Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey, BENESEE?

Blog Entries

Default Hey, BENESEE?

Thought you'd want to know.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I'm looking for cover.
    Ho what the heck.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDsk75q2Xw
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

What a minute, bacon isn't junk food.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Every day in this country must be a national junk food day otherwise how would we explain why 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese?

You don't want to get me started, do you, Ken?

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Every day in this country must be a national junk food day otherwise how would we explain why 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese?

Id like to hear it, grab a twinkie or 2 and tell us all about it
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Of course I do. Why do you think I started this thread?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Default OK, you AXED for it.

1st installment: A funny story

Many Americans too fat to fit in medical helicopters

Some choppers can't carry patients over 250 pounds

By Rick Couri
    The problem is twofold. Some medical helicopters aren’t powerful enough to lift large patients and others are too small to even allow them inside.
    The numbers are surprising as nearly 5,000 patients a year are not transported because they are just too big. One executive said "it’s an issue for sure, we can get to a scene and find that the patient is too heavy to be able to go." Those patients are taken to medical care by traditional ambulances but doctors say it’s greatly raising risks to their health. Some emergency medical providers can’t handle patients over 250 pounds while other choppers will carry people who weigh up to 650 pounds.

One answer is to get helicopters that are bigger and more powerful but cost becomes an issue for the companies operating the service.
    Air Methods executive Craig Yale found out about the issue the hard way. Yale learned his own company may not be able to transfer him in an emergency because he weighed 335 pounds.
    His response was to have gastric bypass surgery helping him lose 125 pounds.

http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/...copters/nYsnx/

Jeese, why do you think they invented slings? If they can transport an Abrams tank surely they can get me from point A to point B.

Speaking of helicopters. He's me working out earlier this week.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Speaking of helicopters. He's me working out earlier this week.
    I don't recognize you upside down.
    And you seem to have lost your hong.

Nope. That's it flopping it the breeze behind me. It almost slipped off during the hoist.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nope. That's it flopping it the breeze behind me. It almost slipped off during the hoist.
    Oh thank GAWD!! I was scared to ask what that was!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I'm curious how they get obese people into those MRI or CAT scanners. (or they just don't)
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I'm curious how they get obese people into those MRI or CAT scanners. (or they just don't)
    They can't.

The use open sided units. They are actually quite a bit larger than the early enclosed models.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy
    Oh thank GAWD!! I was scared to ask what that was!!!

I know what you were thinking. You thought it was a loose rope from the sling. Those guys know how to tie a rope.

Default Everything becomes more difficult...

Obesity complicates diagnosis

Latest research, equipment can help

From the October ACP Hospitalist, copyright © 2011 by the American College of Physicians
    By Janet Colwell
    The rising prevalence of obesity has created not only health dangers for patients, but also new challenges in diagnostic testing for hospitalists.
    Morbidly obese patients often do not fit on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT) scanning tables, and layers of fat may reduce the quality of ultrasound and X-ray images. A high body mass index also influences B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) cut-points in the diagnosis of heart failure.

However, there are ways around such obstacles, experts said. Hospitalists can learn how to account for obesity when interpreting BNP test results, and become aware of alternative imaging facilities in their areas that have equipment to accommodate morbidly obese patients.

“Manufacturers are now responding,” said Martin Gunn, MBChB, assistant professor of radiology at the University of Washington in Seattle and an author of a May-June 2011 article in Radiographics on imaging challenges presented by obese emergency patients. “They've come out with CT scanners with larger gantry apertures and increased table weight limits, and the scanners are more powerful to see through more obese patients.”

http://www.acphospitalist.org/archiv...10/obesity.htm

Well what the hey. For the amount of money I'm spending on these danged tests they should have to work for their money just a little bit. I'll be danged if I'm getting skinny so they can take my money AND have an easy time diagnosing me.

"Well, this first 10 inches is blubber and I think this is his heart....maybe"
    "Is this a human or a walrus?"
    (checking label on MRI) "Says Mr. Rick."
    "I'll ask again. Is this a human or a walrus?"

Obesity crisis 'will force hospitals to use super-size MRI scanners at zoos'

NHS hospitals will have to use scanners from zoos because they are unable to cope with severely overweight patients, surgeons have predicted.

Many hospitals have failed to invest in 'supersize’ equipment suited to morbidly obese patients, they said.

Investigations by surgeons at North Bristol NHS Trust found only one in six hospitals had access to MRI or CT scanners capable of taking the heaviest patients, weighing over 35 stone.

As an emergency measure, they will need to rely on scanners usually operated by vets as Britain’s obesity crisis means dealing with severely overweight patients becomes more routine.

Hospitals in the US are already calling zoos to use their scanners - built for lions, gorillas, horses and cattle.

Writing in The Royal College of Surgeons of England Bulletin, Sally Norton, a consultant bariatric surgeon, warned: “Failure to provide required imaging may lead to delay in diagnosis or inappropriate surgery – and, occasionally, enquiries into the potential use of veterinary or zoological scanners, with resultant loss of dignity for the patient.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...s-at-zoos.html

The use open sided units. They are actually quite a bit larger than the early enclosed models.

I know what you were thinking. You thought it was a loose rope from the sling. Those guys know how to tie a rope. [/COLOR]
    Whoo!! thats what I was thinking.

"Okay, Rick, we need to you to remove everything from you pockets and change into this gown."
    "There was a jaguar in the waiting room."
    "Yeah, bad tummy. Probably something he ate."
    "And the giraffe?"
    "Neck trouble."
    "Of course."

Blog Entries

I agree with Benesse, Americans are the fattest people on the planet.. he11 even our poor are fat, we have the fattest poor population on the planet, just look at all the fat people at/on welfare. We got fat babies, lazy fat teens, fat 20 something's, and fat middle aged people. No one does much anymore, they're all rushed and hurried, self-important, non courteous, and think it's ok. I dunno must be why I hate people.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.