Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spear fishing

South central PA, we shoot the snakeheads in the Potomac below DC. It's full of m down there

prepared correctly, carp are great as sandwiches. you really should put them live in clean water for a few days, and let them "clean out". We score them to reduce the bones to chewable size and then bread and deep fry in oil. tartar sauce home fries, ketchup and coleslaw, mmm.

Spear fishing and taking live don't go well together.

What's the purpose of cleaning carp out? I've seen a lot caught and prepared and never heard of holding them in water for a few days.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

it's hard to arrange, but if it can be done, makes for firmer, tastier flesh.

In my region its only legal to spearfish if you have a subsistence permit. I have used a pole spear a couple times to fish for salmon in rivers. Donning a wetsuit and mask I plunged into the 38 degree water and, after a few tries, managed to skewer a few silver and red salmon. It was a lot of fun actually, not a high volume way of procuring fish, but certainly doable.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

One could easily limit out with tons of fish here if they weren't picky. Just got back last night a nabbed a decent kelp greenling, a cabezon and two small abs.

Ocean finally cleared up. Even got the girlfriend out in the water with us. And I found not only my first abalone pearl, but six!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskS-5exqYc

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    Ocean finally cleared up. Even got the girlfriend out in the water with us. And I found not only my first abalone pearl, but six!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskS-5exqYc
    Great video! Looks like a great time! Congrats!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Pretty cool vid. I take it abalone have to be a minimum size to harvest? I saw you had a measuring tool.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

RandyR when you coming back out. I treaded my 72 for another 62. as I like them short tanks and I get the same time as with a 72. also got more weights. Lets go to the landing and spear use some stripers.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

Yes Rick abs must be at least 7" but most divers take at least 8-9" an inch in length can almost double the weight of meat.

Hey Jesse got your voicemail but I didn't know if it was too late to call. Ill see you in the next couple months and we can get a good dive in!

Randy sounds great.

Cool video!

Monday we lost another diver. Which makes 4 this year, just in this one particular cove. I went up to help search for and recover the body after 3 days of the Sheriff and Coast guard dive team not finding him. Our group of private divers found him. Freediving, no tanks.. Here's a first hand account of what happened from the neighbor of the man, and person who got everyone together to help look...

On Monday night Craig Willes went diving for abalone in Fisk mill cove, his wife Linda was on shore waiting and watching him dive.... She thought it looked rough, he promised her he would be fine.... This was there last words to each other.....she watched him swim around the back of the giant rock and make his way to a place he had dove many times before. She watched him clip off his board and start diving.... She said he never surfaced from his third dive..... Just writing this is so painfull to me... Craig and Linda are my neighbors here in Timber cove......Monday and Tuesday I was helping Jon at the lake with the clinics! Wednesday I had an abalone guiding job... I found out Monday night about the missing diver...It made me feel so cold inside... Like freezing to my bones knowing someone was lost out there.. On Tuesday night I figured out it was Craig. On Wednesday morning I was waiting for my client down at the store when the lifeguards pulled up an started talking to me.. I said that I would he like to help them look and they said maybe Thursday it could help them.. Wednesday afternoon I was sitting on the couch and there was a knock at the door... It was Linda asking me to help her find her husband.... The State park lifeguards had been looking and not having any luck.... This is going to surprise a lot of you but there is NOONE who will go get us, no one who can save us, no one who even wants to put themselves in harms way to recover you... It is somehow too rough or the vis is too bad... Like Wednesday when the searches said it was too risky, and yet I was able to take a guy abalone diving for his FIRST time, and he got three!... Anyways I don't want to say bad things about people.... Which leads me to Linda on my porch, I knew I had to do it, there was never a doubt in my mind about what I would be doing..... I instantly called Tom at Sonoma coast divers and told him I was leaving my house and could he stay open till I got there, not only did Pam wait for me but they donated all the tanks and gear... I wanted tanks there for safety purposes, like if he was really stuck, or if one of us had a problem... On the way to rosa to get the gear Amanda told me to post it, and ask for help, I was very hesitant to ask because this is a lot to ask. I posted a cry for help... Before we hit town rob102 was on his way.. I can't describe in words what that means to me and how it made me feel, rob drove all the way from colusa!!!! When I got home I got a call from the lifeguards saying that I could not be a part of there search for Craig... Wow wtf??? However he was kind enough to tell me that no one could tell me I can't go look for him, I just can't join them...I then called my other neighbor who is the resident sherif here.. He told me it was great I was going to do this and to be safe and not risk other peoples lives.. I assured him that I knew just the guys for this job, and that we enter the ocean on rough days with no vis for fun, he said that if we found Craig and wanted to bring him to shore we could.. I thanked him... I knew what we had to do and who we would be doing it for....the replays just kept coming!!! Rob showed up and we talked strategies for the morning, I couldn't really sleep all night..... When I woke up I walked into Heath, Jack, rob,and ken in my living room!!!! Thank you guys so much... We decided that Freediving is our strong side and we can cover more ground so we decided to pound and and save the tanks as a backup plan for the afternoon...We went to Fisk mill with Linda and she pointed out his board and where she saw him last... Ken got in first cause he had time constraints.... We made our way out... It was surgy and the surge was powerful.. It was the hardest diving I have ever done....I couldn't slow my heart... It is so hard to breathe up with a lump in your throat... This was some really hard **** to talk about...it seemed like a blur in time.... Amanda says it was almost three hours...Jack found a mask..... Then rob called me over.... Craig was stuck in a ledge cave with his arm way back in there... Rob brought him up..... We said a prayer and rob and I swam Craig in to shore... About 100 ft from shore the life guard jumped in the water swam up to us and said he was going to take over... Rob sternly said.. We found him we brought him up... We are bringing him in... When we got in six ft of water the lifeguard said this is good we can leave him here... I said sternly that he has been out here since Monday and that he was coming to shore right now and not staying in the cold water anymore... We swam him in with love and respect.... We brought him to shore... We took off our fins and tops and covered him so he wouldn't be cold anymore.... *** this is so hard..... It hit me so hard that no one can save us... We have to save each other... Right there on the shore me and rob made a deal, to never leave each other's wife on the shore, we have to take care of each other, we have to recover our own.... No one is more qualified than we are to do the things we do..no one is more qualified to find one of our own than us.... I can't stress enough.. Linda wanted to talk to me yesterday.. There entire family is forever grateful to all of us... They loved how we treated Craig with respect and love... That we brought him home meant everything to them...rob Winn I love you... You have been there for me...I owe you big time... Jack you too... Ken butler you too...Heath you are no longer a rookie, you have grown so much this year, thank you Heath for being here... Desert diver Russ you too... Randyrhoads geo you too... Russ came from Reno off a shift!!!!! All in all this was the hardest most difficult dive I have ever done............

Sorry for your loss. Recovery is a very, very difficult but necessary task. I'm sure the families involved will be thankful for the closure that you were able to bring them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Geo as we know even as a tank diver like me if we go down and not back up, no one will come for us but our brothers and sisters, The same as in combat. We are a family with in our own. Others will say they tried but that's it..... Semper Fi. Brother

Last ab dive until the season opens up again next year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BScgdAdPt3g

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I know how you feel and what you are saying! Years ago I was a member of an informal search and recovery SCUBA group of local divers. We had a drowning in a particularly dirty and cluttered cove in a local lake. The State Police Dive Team went in the water and promptly came back out, saying it was too dangerous to dive in that location. The family ask a local SCUBA diver for help and about a dozen and a half of us showed up to search. We dived for five days in zero visibility, until a diver returning to shore stumbled into the body. We family was so greatful for our efforts.

Man I don't get it. I'm hopefully getting on the county dive recsue team January, I hope they never say that crap to me that we can't recover someone over conditions that are not stellar and perfect.